Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The history of Dallas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by apound, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Brewton

Brewton

Cool stuff! Keep it coming....

2. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Nice thread! Great to see some stories from other parts of the country then California also!!

3. I am another ex-Grove Rat, and thanks, no you made me want a Griff's burger!:D

4. Larry T

Larry T

No history of Dallas could be complete without mentioning O. L. Nelms (who happened to own Yello Belly) and the Longhorn Ballroom. If you'll do a search, there's some pretty interesting reading.
    Larry T

5. The large billboards saying "Thanks for helping O.L.Nelms make another million"

6. Anderson

Anderson

Thats a good idea!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 32HiboyRoadster

32HiboyRoadster

I thought Dewey Groom owned the Longhorn Ballroom??

8. Big Tony

Big Tony

Here's a bump... I wanna see more

9. Larry T

Larry T

"..........Jeffrey Liles detailing the history of the Longhorn Ballroom, one of the most storied nightclubs in Dallas. Built by eccentric millionaire O.L. Nelms in 1950, the building was sold to Bob Wills, who named it Bob Wills Ranch House and used it for his home base for a time. When mismanagement turned it into a financial burden, Wills sold the club to Jack Ruby, who in turn sold it to Dewey Groom, the club's longest-term owner. In the 1950's and 60's, the club was a Dallas cornerstone for Western Swing and Country bands like Ernest Tubb & The Texas Troubadours, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Ray Price, Loretta Lynn and many others.

By the latter half of the 1960's, the Longhorn Ballroom was also playing host to soul and rhythm and blues acts like James Brown, Otis Redding and Bobby Bland. In January 1978, 1500 people paid $3.50 each to see the Sex Pistols unleash their brand of chaos at the Longhorn............"

10. Harvey Goff..!? he owned a fuel coupe?

11. Yeah,Harvey Goff....was in partners with Olin Davis.....probably very late 50's early 60"s...
    If you know Harvey,That kind of stunt was mild....LOL

12. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

I was one of those, straight out of high school. Went there for my birthday with some friends.

dka

13. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Hey Bobby, Google Sivils Restaurant. It's the one you mean I'm sure.
    It was at W. Davis and what was called "The Ft. Worth Cutoff" by the locals.
    Mr. & Mrs. Sivil also had one in Houston I think. They had the most beautiful carhop
    girls that dressed in short silk skirts, cowboy hats and white leather boots. All were
    chosen by Mrs. Sivil for their beauty. The "head carhop" stood on the top of the tower
    with a microphone and speaker to direct a carhop to cars as soon as they pulled in!
    On Saturday nights in the early 60's it was almost impossible to penetrate the ring of
    cars that slowly circled the parking lot. The local Oak Cliff boys would kick our ass
    when they found out we were from White Rock (across town).
    And how about LouAnns dance club on Greenville just north of Mockingbird Ln.?
    I saw Jimmy Reed there in about'61. I remember Goff's but never knew Harvey.

14. Yes Mickey..Thats Sivils.....Tons of girls,,meeting place for drags.
    and I saw plent of fist fights there too....This was before every one had a gun and a knife..

15. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

I should have said Google: sivils drive in dallas

About the 3rd or 4th link is good history with pic's of the "Sivil's Girls"

16. Tinker51

Tinker51
    from Dallas Tx.

hey bobby harvey was in parters with yancey and olin moved the roll cage after they bought the car from wayne calvert. thats what i was told by dad. dad and johnny boyd bought the car from some guy in ft worth that was pimp and drug dealer.dad said when they went to get the car it was in peices around his garage.
    charles

Attached Files:

17. Chas,The car I'm talking about was long before this..It was Olins'Little Red Ridin Hoodlem" 34 Cpe.....and I was there that night.

18. Frank

Frank

Wow, I'm only 37 but I grew up around Pleasant Grove when it was still somewhat "pleasant". I know all those places well. My Dad and FIL used to tell me about racing on Malloy Bridge Rd and stories about Sheriff Decker. I'd love to see some pictures.

19. picked up some stuff the other day...funny the "Ramblers" palque? was made out of hard fiber board - but looked really good...

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

20. Frank

Frank

Not sure if the one is still on Buckner but there is still one on Military near 635 in Mesquite.

Remember the Pig Stand?

How about Lake June Barber Shop? My granddad was a barber there in the 60's. They are still doing booming business. Saturday mornings is standing room only. Norma and Hocker still cutting hair. Its a great old time barber shop that still uses the hot foam and straight razors.

I remember Big World Drug. I remember Goldblatt's Hardware. I remember Buckner Bowl. I remember being told that the Pep Boys was the original location of another Pep Boys back in the 50's 60's? I remember the shopping center that was there just before the Pep Boys there now stands. I remember when Big Town Mall was still open and quite busy.

21. Tejas

Tejas
    from Texas

Actually none of DIMS was on the west side of 35E, all on the east side.. the tower was actually near where Main Event is, Racing Fuels Inc. was located just across the freeway from DIMS and that facility still remains, the only thing left standing today from the early 70's when it all ended, and RFI is now a Service King Collision Repair shop .. that entire area around what was DIMS was to be a automotive mecca of shops, dealerships, race track, etc but it never happened

[​IMG]

more DIMS here http://dearbornflashback.com/dims.asp

and Forest Lane in the early 70's was the hot spot in N Texas for cruising, the Fed Mart parking lot was the place just across from all the fast food restaurants - serious racers typically moved down to Emerald Road for money street racing, the street racers would also run on what is now Dallas Parkway right in front of the Galleria, but then it was just a road out in the country ..

22. I remember when Big Town was still there!

23. apound

apound

Oh yeah thats Dallas history. "Grove rats, Longhorn ballroom, Yella belly. Anyone have pictures of the pig stands on Buckner? I remember Dewey Groom, never saw him sober.

24. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I might be too young for most of you guys, but I basicly grew up in the Grove during the 70's and early 80's. My dad had a car lot on 603 S.Buckner, place used to be a Lions gas station. I would love to see some pics of that when it was still a station.

Ate at Griffs many times as a kid. Right across the street was a shack that use to sell used batteries.

A little further north of my dads place use to be one of the 1'st Jack in the box's that was a drive through only. Last time I was down that way still there as something else.

Suprised no one mentioned Harry's Hot Rod on Buckner, but then again that might be too new.

25. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

We have a lot in common, my dad has worked for Buster Lyon Auto Company since the late 60's.

I did a post about the other day on my blog.

26. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Thats cool. Yea my dad had a note lot, and knew alot of the dealers in and around Dallas, or they knew him. We still have a lot that I'm trying to sale on Hawn Freeway between Lake June and Jim Miller.

Same here w/ the cars he had big block stuff, cameros, mustangs, etc.

The stories I can tell!!!
    After growing up on a used car lot in the Grove, w/the stuff I seen, it takes A LOT, and I mean A LOT, for me to be suprised w/something. Wrecks, people stealing stuff, fights, repoing cars, salesmen getting shot at. I've just about seen it.

If I remember correct I think Big Town was the 1'st mall in Texas. Dad said it was a huge deal when it opened.

Also use to be a drive in on Hawn Freeway (175). How about the put-put golf? The big green dino is still there, and bowled many times at Buckner bowl.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  27. Frank

Frank

Hey, did you know Dan Short? Big Daddy Dan's Used Cars? Used to be across from Buckner Lanes then later on the other side of Hawn.

28. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I know the area of the lots your talking about. personaly not sure, but I know they (my parents) knew several guys over there in that area. Our lot was just several blocks from there. I can ask my mom tomorrow.

Ever hear of Chuck Taylor's? we were next door. Dad opened his place in 73/74.

29. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

I got bucked off a horse in a pasture that was near Fair Park and broke my arm. My mom took me to a doctor's office just off of Buckner, south of I30. She let me eat as many of those little Griff-burgers that I wanted afterward.

I tried to buy an old Impala at a lot along there somewhere. But at $650 I couldn't afford it.

dka

30. Where are all you OLD Dallas guys?????????????????