Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thinking of going with a red-oxide...any thoughts/pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyingbohemian, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Barz51

Barz51

I was going to ask the colors of the company as well. Paint the truck a color that looks good with your company colors. How about the color of the background of the labels?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. fat49chevy

fat49chevy
    from Onta Ca

i like the ro look just rattle canned mine a week ago. probably wont keep it that way too long though it looks wack as it fades. ill post pics soon.

3. spinman

spinman
    from new jersey

Before this thread dies from redundancy, can I ask what kinda beer you'll be brewing? I was an all grain home brewer 10 years ago and really dig nice hoppy IPAs. Just wondering how big a system you've got and what styles you're doing.

Thx

Spin

4. Mooseandsqurl53

Mooseandsqurl53
    from N.J.

If the dents bother you, fix them a little at a time and prime them. Priming the whole truck won't hide anything. Then decide what color you want as the repair process will buy you time to decide on colors or primer. As stated before, the oxide fades and looks bad after awhile. If you don't want to fix the dents, leave it alone. I'd lost those VW looking directionals, though. Just my opinion.

5. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Question:

Could he just scuff it down and then shoot a flat clear over it?

Still would be blue but no it would be flat and have protetcion.

6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

It would look just as good with a shiny paint job.

Not all of us are blessed with shiny paint. Id leave it, paint your brewery on the door, get some steelies and white walls, and boogie it round town.

7. How about a wild arse guess,,flyingbohemian

ffr1222k likes this.
  8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I gotta say if I had a micro-brewery, even if it was only a dream, the truck would wear it's name. :D I would work on it, doors first, red oxide primer, then with your beer company logo. Then go one fender at a time, knock out the dents and prime it. Paint, or the lack of it, is an accessory. By the time you are done, the first panel will start to show some wear/stain. Plenty of time then to do more if you choose to.
    As far as what people did in the 50s, I don't recall ever seeing anybody ever repaint a delivery truck. The only vehicles that got repainted were used cars that had been wrecked, repainted after the repair, usually with primer on the repaired damage. Some of them got a complete new paint job before they went on the lot if they were to be resold. Bread trucks, beer trucks, whatever wore what they had on them until they went to the scrapper. If one wanted new paint they bought a new truck.............

9. roddinron

roddinron

Since we're on the subject, does anyone know of a urethane red oxide primer? I plan to be driving the car in my avatar while completing the customizing, so that means primer, and I like the look of red oxide best for that car.
    As far as that truck, I wouldn't do it, but it's not mine.

10. Red oxide primer on an F-1?

Attached Files:

11. davis574ord

davis574ord

i wouldnt do nit in red oxide primer i would use a good cataylized primer then a catylized sealer which you can tint different colors and it washes up nice and doesnt stain good luck dude!

12. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I had originally thought of going with Hot Rod Flatz Oxide Red but was affraid it would be too orange for the look I wanted. We were told that HRF is just Omni (a brand of paint) with a flatner added.... so we mixed up some single stage Omni until we found the color we liked and used it.

13. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

<--------- My truck, in red oxide primer. I love it. Haters will hate. Played out? Yeah, like black coupes with red rims aren't? lol. In all honesty, EVERY color is played out, it's all a matter of what YOU like. So paint it whatever color YOU like, and to heck with the haters. :D

14. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Okay, not red oxide... But my old '60 F100 was "Caribean Torqouise" and it was faded and rusted out... And I dug that color, not shiny, but the color it had turned into after years of neglect... That's the color I'd paint that truck, w/ a white roof...... and a white vinyl seat bench seat (no pleats just a plain seat cover) white dash, rubber floor mat, white steelies and dog dish caps... and maybe a white grille, though chrome is cooler...

15. fitzee

fitzee

This topic again!! Cool!!This topic seems to piss off the shiny lovers. Just like some like candy blues and others like shiny black.well then,some like Flat colors.It a color.Get over it.

16. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

Thank you. That's the advice I was looking for, as I really am quite amatuer on this subject! After hearing all I've heard in this thread, I am feeling like that brownish-red single stage paint from omni would look nice. Would that prevent horrible staining and absorbancy?

17. Its tech week or some of us would have pushed the beer issue more.

18. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Is it just me, or doe's red oxide look brown.

19. You have a nice looking truck there as it is. With your brewerys name on the door and an older style wheel & tire combo you'd have the 50's beer delivery truck look nailed. As for the primer idea, as others have said, it is your truck so do as you will. However, it is difficult to imagine any beer company lettering up a primered pickup truck to present as their image to the public. Especially in the 1950's, an era where people took pride in their work and companys had so many cool delivery vehicles. On the other hand, a lettered up truck with so so paint and some dents here and there could easily look the part of a real delivery truck with a couple of years of abuse by uncaring employees under its belt. Just a little constructive criticism.

20. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

Brown is the new black......

21. Greezy

Greezy

Real delivery trucks get dented.

22. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

How about a root beer color, my uncle had a 56 that color and it looked beautiful. Im sorry to burst your bubble but red oxide and faux patina brings negative connotation on here.

23. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

Ok, so I have been looking around, and I really like this color. Any ideas about a good plan of attack of achieveing this tone in a matte, or at least semi-gloss finish[​IMG]

24. spinman

spinman
    from new jersey

"....right now, with a 3 tier setup w/hot liquor tank, mash ton, boil pot all run with hoses and quarter turn valves. We send the finished wort once chilled through a hose into the basement where we built a walk-in cooler(if lagering) which runs to 2 32gallon, and 1 42 gallon fermenting tanks. Add the 30+ 6 gallon carboys and we basically have a 600gallon/month capacity. Small time to say "brewery", but the beer is good! We have already began looking at properties and getting ready to go to the bank. If all goes to plan*fingers crossed*we should be running a larger, legitimate operation by early..."

Damn! You guys are teeny tiny. I was mashing in a 30 gal SS tank, then gravity feeding into a 50 gal SS boil tun. Cooled it with a helical coil counterflow chiller then used a mag drive pump to move into another 50 gal SS tank to ferment out. It was the hardest work day I ever had, but sure worth it when you had 30 gallons of beer 2 weeks later.:)

Good luck with the brews, and keep that yeast CLEAN!

Spin

25. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

Nice! So what made you stop brewing?

26. spinman

spinman
    from new jersey

"..Nice! So what made you stop brewing?..."

Well, in the early '90s when I started brewing, there weren't that many good micros out there. 10 years later, they were all over the place and in my area, we had some really good ones (Victory, Dogfish Head).

Then i got re-married and didn't think the wife would want half the fridge stuffed with a 5 gallon beer keg. I guess I just got burnt out with all the labor involved. Sold all the equipment on fleabay (except the 2 50 gallons SS tanks). I still use one of them to make homemade wine with my Pop.

Funny thing: shoulda kept the equipment becuase i divorced the wife 3 years after marriage.

Spin

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

27. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

yeah, I've been there. That's how I finally got my old truck, she never supported me spending money on one, so the second the divorce was finallized, I went and bought the first nice one I could find!

Ive heard good things about Dogfish Head, shitty thing is we can't get it in MN, so Ive never had it. Victory is real good though...hop devil comes from them right?

Well, good talkin to ya man. take care.

28. Racrdad

Racrdad

For people not aware of your brewery how is a dented primered truck going to look to them? In business the first impression can be your last if its not right. Fix the dents, paint it (gloss or flat), put your logo on it and impress a bunch of potential customers that you wont with a truck that looks like its belongs in front of Sanford and Sons establishment.

29. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

No offense, but I didn't bring all this up for business advice, or presentation. I wanted some sound technical advice on the pros and cons of red-oxide. I have heard a lot of compelling arguments as to why not to go with that primer, and have made a few good decisions out of this. No matter what, I am going to have an amazing looking truck...but I am growing a bit tired of everyone making this an issue of whether or not this truck will sell our beer. After all, we are named
    pikey brewing co. and the beer sells itself. It sure as hell isn't a bunch of horses selling the crappy king of beers.

Thanks to everyone who gave me some good ideas, I am an amatuer at best here, and am glad to have this tool to talk to the experts.

30. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Honestly, for the non-hamb type, the red primer and dents will probably draw more attention. "Check out that rat rod!" they'd say. I'm building a '55 chevy truck, still in the very early stages with old paint. I drive it everywhere all day every day. I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked "Are you gonna rat rod it?". When I say no, it's gonna be nice with shiny paint, they always say "You should rat rod it!". It's semi-retarded really, but that's what the non hamb world thinks of old cars and what they should be like.

This is just a long winded way of saying he'd probably get more attention from potential customers with the primer. If I was after trophies from shriners car shows or money from flipping cars, I'd "rat rod" 'em all day every day. Regardless of what we as hambers think is cool, the general public likes rat rods. In fact, I would go so far as to say rat rods are "wildly popular" with the casual car folks. Just the way it is.