Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thinking of going with a red-oxide...any thoughts/pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyingbohemian, Mar 2, 2010.

1. captainflight

captainflight

I watched an episode on "Trucks" on Spike last weekend and they gave you a pretty good idea what to do. You can probably view it on "powerblock.com" .

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Your truck, your time, your money..

3. chop&drop

chop&drop

Your truck looks pretty good as it is, but if it's primer you want, here's my favorite. joeycarpunk mentioned Ditzler Kondar, here's my sedan wearing PPG Kondar DZ-7. It's more brown than red, but I like it. As you can see from my avatar, the DZ-7 was only temporary.

Attached Files:

4. lorodz

lorodz

dont do it ..it looks great as is ...maybe some fo tina and some new wheels but dont paint it ....

5. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I love the red oxide look but I didn't want primer we created the look with Omni single stage paint.

[​IMG]

ffr1222k likes this.
  6. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

all good opinions, i do appreciate it. I am looking for something new, i'm not a big fan of shiny blue. It does look good, just not my thing. Thanks for the links, I'll check em out.

lorodz, excuse my ignorance, but whats fo tina?

7. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

I really like that, a bit more brown than red. I think the brown looks a bit nicer. So whats the process with the single stage? What company makes the paint?

8. I didn't get the name hotrodprimer because of my dislike for red primer,,having had many cars over the course of the last 40 years sporting that very same color.

Flat primer absorbs mosture which stains the primer,,looks great when fresh,,looks bad when it gets some age on it,,,do what you want,,it's your truck. HRP

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  9. feaux patina = fo tina

10. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

Well, the only real competition is Surly, and they have a whole different product than us. It is worth a shit. Were just getting started though, still in the early stages.

11. nwaringa

nwaringa

Why does this thread remind me of the mistakes thread.... hmmm....

Why paint it? Your money is better spent elsewhere.

12. ham-boned-ford

ham-boned-ford

i like red oxide primer, but that truck looks sweet as is.

13. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

Hey, that's what I'm asking for, some actual advice. I only got defensive with the other folks because everything I heard was just about fads and whatnot. I am aware of the staining, and in fact this is only temporary, as I'm still unsure of what final color I'd want. But, it does need new paint, so I figured I'd primer it now, and make the big decisions later. Thanks.

14. firingorder1

firingorder1

I don't have a dog in this fight but I can't picture a beer company in the 50s (or any other era) delivering beer in trucks painted only in primer. I would like to think that a brewery would have more pride in their product than to deliver it in a primered truck! I know you said you were trying for an "aged" look but primer with brewery lettering on top really smacks of fake. It would look a lot more "real" if you were to rub through the top coat to the primer underneath. I have a red oxide fairing on my sidecar (mainly because I didn't get around to painting it) and at El Mirage it picks up dust that doesn't want to rub off or wash off with water. It takes soap and a sponge. Not something I would want on a big area like a truck.

shorrock likes this.
  15. duste01

duste01

red oxide looks real good when you cover it with a red paint.

16. grapp

grapp

I Think in the end, you'd be happier leaving it the way it is and lettering the doors...and..it will be easier to sell in paint then in primer...and if it gets hit the insurance co's will be less likely to treat it like a POS versus something with value. My 2 cents...

17. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

You seem to appreciate real paint advice and not so much style advice. So, I will weigh in that in addition to the water stains mentioned earlier please remember that primer is supposed to absorb whatever we paint or lay on it. That being said, your truck painted in real red oxide primer will be a bear to keep clean and since you have mentioned laying paint over it in the future, the contaminants held in the primer will affect your topcoat later on. I think I understand what you want you truck to look like and understand trying to minimize the appearance of the dents. Perhaps you might consider scuffing the existing paint and laying down some enamel over it. The shine will not be as glossy as modern paints and if it is still too shiny you could knock it down with some coarse compound. For that matter you could do that to your existing paint although you mentioned you are not a fan of that blue. FWIW, I would think an old timey look to your truck would be to have a color that was representative of the colors that trucks were painted back in the day. I think a low sheen brown or green might look nice, just not primer. Good luck with whatever you choose.

18. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Here's a pic...

[​IMG]

That was my '63 Chevy I sold to a hamber in The Netherlands. I happen to like red oxide primer color despite the naysayers. Now with that out of the way, I think six months after you put your truck in red oxide you'll wish you hadn't. Here's why- it fades, you touch it up and it looks like shit, get any gas or oil from general maintenance on it and it stains, once it's old it doesn't look "clean" when it's clean or dirty. Besides that, you're truck looks finished now. It won't look finsihed anymore once it's in primer. You'd be going backwards.

If you're just doing this til you decide what color you want, why not wait til you decide what color you want to change it? In my experience, "this is only temporary" usually ends up being semi permanent. Your truck looks great as it is. These are my thoughts. Do as you will, it's yours after all.

19. I wouldn't change a thing.

20. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I like red oxide but like others have stated it is more work than you would believe to keep it looking good. Mine is 4 years old now.

Attached Files:

21. 56butler

56butler
    from Illinois

if you want it to look like a 50s beer truck being a 54 IH the truck would have had paint on it back then so put paint back on the damn truck if it looks bad otherwise it will look like a r-- truck

22. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

primer a painted truck ?? also when I think red oxide I think 70's ,,not older

also most if not all things I've come across left in RO end up wiping off on you if you touch it or rub against it..

it is yours so do what ya like,,

but just seems a perfect waste of time

23. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Now that brought a smile to my face :)

Additionally, here's a novel idea...fix the dents, take off the fake badges, paint it a color, preferably something someone would choose on a finished car, paint a nice logo on the side and drive the wheels (new ones) off of it.

For the OP, you don't have to make it look "aged", it's a damn 53 (ish) truck, it's 57ish years old...it already IS aged

24. doctorZ

doctorZ

don't mess with a good thing. leave it alone.

25. wvenfield

wvenfield

It is in the eye of the beholder but you asked for opinions.

26. 100% Matt

100% Matt

There are plenty of excellent single stage matte finish paints out there. Your truck is going to be the center piece for your business more or less. You want it to look as good as it can. Go with a nice single stage matte paint,traditional hand painted door art,some decent rims and some wide whites. You can't lose

27. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Have to say ,, I honestly cannot remember a time when anyone ,,primed there car to just "leave it that way" where this whole primer as a paint job thing comes from I have no idea..

mind you I remember cars "being built" that ran the street while being built,,and yeah they were in primer,,,,but only as a result of being a work in progress

28. Side

Side
    from Berlin, OK

Yes paint the sucker Red Oxide Primer. That would be awesome because it is the perfect base for O.D. Green. I'd buy beer from an O.D. Green truck in a parade any day. Go ahead and print up some posters. My man cave is awaiting. Swweeeet.

29. What are the colors of your lable/logo on your beer???

How about painting the truck in your colors....just for example, if your
    colors were red and black......do red body and black fenders, in flat colors,
    and put your sign on the door.

That's how many were done "back in the day".

[​IMG]

30. slow cheetah

slow cheetah
    from missouri

Hotrod flatz....rust pearl