Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs New driver/mild custom1953 Desoto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by heavytlc, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Great looking desoto!!

2. heavytlc

heavytlc

I wanted to thank GMC BUBBA, great job on the distributor rebuild. I will give a full review of the Hot sauce tomorrow.

One piece at a time. My ups driver loves me...

Attached Files:

3. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Did you do the shock absorber relocation bit on the front? Makes a big difference in the ride - the stock method of shock absorber between the upper and lower A-frame was not well thought out. I think HAMBer 4Wooody has a post on this (name from memory).

4. heavytlc

heavytlc

When I was first looking at the front end when I first brought the car home, I wondered who came up with the shock mounting location. It was like they said "we need forgot to put shocks on, well just mount them to the control arms, that looks like a good place for them"

I am using ford f100 style shock mounts. I think they look cleaner than plate style shock mounts.

5. heavytlc

heavytlc

I got my chrome back this morning. I only opened a few pieces. I will be opening all of it tonight when it is at home safe and sound. It looks great so far. There are 40 pieces so I will have some better pictures of a very chrome living room:D

The pics are a little fuzzy, but you can see a reflection of a happy fatkid in the glove box door. The full chrome dash is so slick. I will not need a vanity mirror for the pretty ladies to check there makeup in...

Attached Files:

6. heavytlc

heavytlc

BTW the chrome is the work of Custom Metal Finishing Indiana 866-489-4089

7. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Everything's awesome so far!! What did Bubba do to your dizzy?

Attached Files:

8. 35desoto

35desoto

what ever you - please keep this thread rolling. I'm hooked on what you are achieving - envious - YES but what the hell
    Now - where are all those 53 - 54 Desoto's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. heavytlc

heavytlc

I had The Bubba special rebuild, refresh, with a side of special bubba brand hot sauce. I enjoy it when you open a box of car parts and get a cool gift. It made my whole damn day as a matter of fact. The hot sauce was pretty damn good too.

10. The car is really taking shape Jason,,I'm looking forward to seeing it on the road. HRP

11. DJR13

DJR13
    from Venice, Ca

Nice score! Beautiful ride.

Why would they ever put the gas filler in that spot? Strange... ???

12. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Sweeeet, and Hot. Must be christmas every month at your house, except for the payout:)

13. heavytlc

heavytlc

Thank you. The Engine is going to be cool. Wiseco is building a custom set of pistons for the flat 6. still waiting on my Camshaft, but it is all coming together. I have been waiting til the weather warmed up to spray the LizardSkin. Should be picking up the frame next week, so I might be spraying it in the cold. I enjoy assembling clean parts:D

14. heavytlc

heavytlc

It is..... And just like Christmas I get the bill a few weeks later.

15. How the Hell did i miss this thread. Superb build!

16. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Nice car man congrats!

17. 50FREAK

50FREAK

nice ride gonna be sweet when its done

18. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Thanks for the phone number plug. :cool:
    We finally (after almost 6 years) have a real web site too: www.ChromePlatingIN.com

Now I wish I would have taken "before" pics of your chrome parts; especially since many of the parts you had plated were originally painted.
    I want to see this car together really bad. Seeing all the interior chrome on your Desoto has got me thinking of plating the garnish mouldings and dash on my 48 Chevy.

19. heavytlc

heavytlc

Yeah the dash and glove box are going to make me have to check ID's on all of the young ladies that ride shotgun. I might have to name the car "Upskirt" it will be like a wall to wall mirror. I might have to start giving free rides to college cheerleaders... In uniform.

20. heavytlc

heavytlc

The frame is back home, nice satin black powder coat. I have all the inner fenders, every tab and bracket. I am waiting on a few small parts that I need to make it a roller again. I will have the few bits next week. Some progress is better than none.

Attached Files:

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

go dude go...

22. Jeeeez Man - I just saw this update - you are not fooling around. Can't wait to see it.

23. heavytlc

heavytlc

I got to look at the new pistons today, still waiting on the camshaft. Hurry up and wait... 23ozs less weight just in the pistons, much better, and forged. Anyone want to race a flathead 6???

Attached Files:

24. 35desoto

35desoto

BTTT - Any updates - I've got withdrawl symptoms waiting to get an update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Probably not right now, he's at Bonneville then off to the HAMB Drags...

26. heavytlc

heavytlc

I need to call George Asche, he has had my transmission done for awhile. The engine is machined, camshaft was ground by Harvey Cranes son. Fenders,hood,and deck lid are ready for paint. I am still trying to find someone to polish and fix all the stainless. I have not stopped working on it, just got a little wrapped up in the Fairlane repower/Bonneville/hamb drags trip.

27. Maaaaaannn first thing I would do is peddle that butt uggly grill to a merc guy. :rolleyes: :D

Nice looking car looks solid from where I sit. Mild custom for sure until I took a wild hair then maybe I'd give it a serious tweeking. That thing has got lots of charm the way it is but the possibilities are endless.

Good score.

28. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

ok, so whats the update on this ride? Im looking at a '53 now, though not nearly as clean as yours.

I was thinking the same thing when i saw the gas filler, dumb. Im also wanting to know how the dropped coils work out...

29. big bad john

big bad john

30. heavytlc

heavytlc

No major update, at least not with pics. The body mods are 85-90 percent complete. All the parts are going back together. I took a little break, thrashed on the fairlane, and ended up taking a 6000mile road trip to Bonneville and the Hamb Drags. As has been the standard practice all 3 years that I have been to the Hamb Drags, I come home to a shit storm of personal problems. Makes me want to stay home. Life problems out of the way, cars are much more fun to build.

I am looking at some different colors as far as paint goes. That is a little way off. The 251 short block is going back together, got the camshaft and lifters back, trying to figure out the best way to go about balancing the engine. It has a 70+lbs torque convertor/clutch.

Not sure what else to say, every thing is refinished/rebuilt. Other than paint and stainless trim polishing/straightening it is all done. I am going to go to Maxton the end of September, after that it is on. I am looking forward to a car. Right now it is a VERY EXPENSIVE pile of parts.