Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Salvaging CRAPPY E&J Repop HEADLIGHTS....or...Polishing TURDS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Good save man, good save!!!!!

................Roach.

2. KIRK!

KIRK!

Nail on the head.

That was exactly the idea.

3. Great tech article, you make it look easy.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great tech Kirk and one that will probably save a few sets of those lights from the shelf in the back room.

I'll have to agree with the others that say that that is one of the very few cars that they look right on. They fit in with the design of the car an don't look like a "me too" after thought on it.

5. Excellent tech post, if it were not for the pics, I too would be walking away a little fuzzy! They really fit the look you are going for on that Rod. Neat rod too!

James

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

I hope so.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

all tech week to the top 14

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

Here a re a couple update shots of the shells so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Hey Kirk,

They look good here, but what happened to all the tech pix at the beginning of the thread.

Jaysin

10. wsdad

wsdad

All these threads are crap without pitures. Might as well have not posted anything.

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, you're right. I'll stop posting on here.

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

lmao... don't stop believing Kirk, don't let 'em bring you down. :p
    But first what's a piture? I know what a picture is, but a piture, no clue. :D

But then again Why use air bags? Why not Monroe air shock? about says it all....

13. 2002p51

2002p51

Look at the date on the original post. You're a little late to the party!

14. Ya got sand in the ol' vagina today? :rolleyes:

There could be a lot of reasons why the pictures aren't showing up...a nicely worded request to re-post the pics goes a long way, in case the OP moved or deleted the pics in his hosting account. ;)

15. wsdad

wsdad

"...lmao... don't stop believing Kirk, don't let 'em bring you down. :p
    But first what's a piture? I know what a picture is, but a piture, no clue. :D..."

Ya, you're right. (Dang-it!) I shouldn't have been mean about it. I apologize. I have gotten on to other people about "bringing people down" about other things so it stung a little to find myself doing it too. It also makes me a hypocrite. From now on, I'll only post car-related remarks and stop pretending I'm the keyboard police.

I actually meant to express my frustration with all the disappearing pictures in the many, many different threads, not the original poster. But I could have said it better/nicer. I don't know, but it seems like there ought to be some technology available to prevent pitures from disappearing off the HAMB.

16. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

1-13-10? Wow that was an eternity ago. You think the pictures would be around for more than 2 months especially on a tech thread.

17. We all have off days, and I could have been more tactful as well. It's all good.

The whole thing depends on where the pictures are stored (hosted). If a poster decided to upload them directly to the H.A.M.B. (or whichever board, really), some issues can occur. If the message board/site has some kind of crash, or moves to a different host, or the owner of the board decides to clean out old stuff, the pics may be lost.

Also, a lot of boards have restrictions on picture size to reduce bandwidth use/costs and server load. It's been a while since I uploaded pics directly here but Ryan used to severely limit pic size and probably still does. Sounds like a bad idea at first glance....but looking at a board like Yellow Bullet, Monty doesn't limit pic size there. So, half the users have huge, distracting signature pics that load for every post they make...and people post huge pics anyway without resizing... and as a result the board has frequent problems and is reputed to be quite expensive to run.

So, here, most people elect to host their pictures on a separate site, like Photobucket, and just link to them in their post...in other words, when you see the picture here, it's actually being stored somewhere else. Doesn't cost Ryan any money to store them or give any bandwidth costs to him....it's all being handled by Photobucket, or whomever. The picture can be as big as that site allows...makes no difference to the H.A.M.B. When everything works correctly, the guy reading the post doesn't know where the picture is hosted. That's one reason why some people have huge, detailed pictures here, and others have ones that can't be seen very well.

However...and, it's a big "however"....IF something happens at the picture hosting site...those pictures immediately disappear on the H.A.M.B., because those links are not any good anymore. On my Photobucket account, I have pictures stored in various folders. If I have a picture that I've linked here in a post, and later, I move that picture to another folder...instantly my post here will show that the picture is no longer available. Same thing happens if I delete the picture.

That's the most common reason why pics no longer show up in a thread. Another reason, though not probably very common here, is that the pic hosting site decides that a picture is inappropriate...contains adult content, or it is owned by someone else and is copyrighted by that person, etc.

It IS frustrating for pics to be gone, for sure. Many times, though, it's an innocent mistake...I have, or had, a bad habit of quickly uploading pictures in order to answer a post...and not putting them in any folder on Photobucket- just tossing them in my main area (kinda like the "C" drive). Much later on, when I have more time, I reorganize, and promptly screw up any links. Every once in a while someone will PM me & ask me to repost, which may be simple, or not. Since most folks have free accounts on Photobucket/etc. rather than paid ones, the number of pics is sometimes limited, and so you delete old pictures sometimes.

Long explanation but hopefully I made sense. :)

[​IMG]

Hosted on Photobucket rather than the H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  18. KIRK!

KIRK!

You would, except for the fact that I pay for each one hosted.

19. KIRK: Can you share that GE number ?