Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 Ford Fender Welting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bogart62, Mar 1, 2010.

1. bogart62

bogart62

Got a funky looking piece of welting on my '37 Ford Coupe driver front fender. Can I replace it without taking the whole fender off? I can get to the bolts that hold on the engine splash guards, it's the bolts (2 or 3 of them) that are just above the running board. Can't tell if these bolts have a weld nut? Anybody got a way of doing this without taking the whole fender off? Thanks for the input. Kent

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With all the piss farting around and stress of trying to do it with the fender on is easier and probably quicker in the long run to take it off. I re-did the rear fenders on my old 38' did the first side with just loosening it. What a prick of a job, did the second one by taking the fender off. Took half the time of the first one.

Doc.

3. bogart62

bogart62

Thanks Doc. Thought there would be an easy way, I'll just take the thing off.

Kent

4. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I'd leave it on and "V" the welting so I can keep it straight with the fender..works everytime for me anyway.

5. bogart62

bogart62

Toddster: So you are saying you just loosened up the bolts "v" cut the welting and slipped it in around the bolts? Then what, by tightening the bolts it locks in the welting? Does that sound right?

6. That's the way to go. I've installed miles of fender welting and the V cut method works best

7. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

carl is right thats all you have to do.

8. If I remember right those bolts go into welded nuts or clamped nuts. If for some reason (rust) they don't come out you can drill through and place a nut and fender washer inside behind the toe kick panel at floor level.

9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I vote for V cuts and leave the fender on.

10. ardunpinto

ardunpinto
    from WACO tx

Leave it on. Go to a upholstery shop and have them sew you a new piece with a 4-5" flap, that way you can easily pull it from the bottom to get it straight. the pre-made stuff only has a 2" flap and is hard to grab from the inside of the fender.

11. bogart62

bogart62

Ardunpinto: Never thought of adding to the welting. You're right once you get it it, not a whole lot to pull on. Man that's a great trick. Thanks.