Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Les Dragsters!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wee wee......Drag-strip in France has a whole other meaning......cool blog Ryan

3. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

That's outstanding! The french language works well with Drag racing! Bon.... Hyper Bon!

4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Wonderful footage! Does anyone know if it exists without the French narration? I'd love to be able to clearly hear the driver interviews.

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

...someone really uncovered a treasure of a film. It sure doesn't need translating to get the point. Those were the glory years of the mid-60's. I was lucky enough to be there almost every weekend. My parents were cool and would drop me off about 1PM and pick me up after the last round.
    This is a good illustration of how close the first row of the bleachers were to the starting line on the "tower side". Maybe 15-20 feet max.

[​IMG]

another aerial view that I marked up for a different thread about wheelstanders
    [​IMG]

this is from the west or "spectator" side...it was even close by the standards that we see today.
    But the east side, the "tower" side was even cloer
    [​IMG]

"all good things come to an end"..after the last race, December, 1972
    ...even with tumbleweeds...
    [​IMG]

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

WOW!! First "French Movie" I ever liked!!!!

7. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Love this stuff!

8. Thanks Ryan ... Thanks John D ... Great footage!

Just wish I could understand some of the narration ... In the words of comedian Steve Martin: "Boy, those French, they have a different word for everything!" :)

9. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Front engine dragsters hiking the front wheels while smokin' the hoops never gets old. Thanks Mr. John Drummond.

10. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I love nostalgic drag cars/rails!!! That video was great. Even though I didn't understand what they said and I took French in highschool, ha. It doesn't matter if there was no sound, it was cool. Thanks for the great post!!!:)

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

here's a good shot to use as an example of how close you could be to the starting line on the "tower" side. We'd spend the better part of the afternoon standing next to that chain link fence with our fingers hanging on to it.
    You would go home smelling like rubber and fuel, literally.
    What is that, maybe 12 feet away?

[​IMG]

12. Great Ryan, thanks ...........

13. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

heh heh... so you should watch "Rendezvous" ! about 5 minutes or so of driving insanity through Paris!

Tres Magnifique!

14. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

I had a second thought on this film. Notice how many Fiats and Anglias were also shown? I'm guessing either the cameraman was just naturally drawn to film those cars out of familiarity, or possibly so a Euro market could relate more.

15. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Awesome footage! Cheers for that.

16. I forgot to mention ...

Although I've seen a few still photographs of Pappy Hart's electric "roller starters" @ LIONS ... e.g.:

[​IMG]

... this film is the first footage I've ever seen of them in ACTION ... very cool!

Doug (Mazooma1) ...

What year were the "Roller Starters" installed @ LIONS? ... Whereabouts were they located? ... and when were they removed?

I've read that the electric motor "Roller Starters" @ LIONS were troublesome ... and that the "Roller Starters" at other tracks were powered by automotive engines (hence the old joke: "SBCs make good starter motors for HEMIs" ) ... What other drag strips had "Roller Starters"? ... I don't remember ever seeing them @ Fremont.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Those starters are cooler than shit.

18. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Bummer, I just tried to watch it and it said this: (using an online translator) "Please excuse us, it is impossible to read the media the URL of the media is untraceable"

Perhaps it got too much web traffic?

19. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

In my memory, they worked pretty well in most cases. The one exception that sticks out in my mind was the PDA race, which was an all-dragster show (64 TF, 32 TG, 16 JF, 8 JG, IIRC). I think the rollers quit some time during qualifying, and subsequent operations were done the old-fashioned way, by staging the cars in the hot car lane (parallel to the the track on the right side, in front of the stands) and pushing them down the strip toward the starting line to get them started. There wasn't a door car or even an altered anywhere on the premises that night; it was cool beyond words.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

At least according to my stats, we've already hit it with over 500,000 views... I bet they are getting overloaded a bit.

21. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

The starters were there in '67. They were right behind the starting line, about where the water box is these days. I suspect they were still there when the place closed in '72.

22. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I can't remember exactly when they were installed, but it was in the late 60's. The first set of rollers had to have their motors upgraded to a larger electric motor. In a way it was pretty cool, because when they'd start the rollers before "Round 1" of eliminations, all the lights in the pits would dim for a split second, which was our warning to get back to the grandstands.
    The rollers were back from the starting line about 50 ft. or so.
    The installation of them put an end to one of the most loved parts of top fuel racing...the push start, the "dance" as the two cars would swap lanes and then be pulled back by hand by the crew to get the cars straight.. No burnouts during this period, no reverse gear.
    I'll see if I can find a better shot of the rollers.

23. AnimalAin & Mazooma1 ... Thanks! ... er, I mean Merci beaucoup! :)

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

So, the rollers were powered by an engine? Not an electric motor...man, I learn something everyday

25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

WOW, why can't we have some old film like that in ENGLISH? Seriously, pretty cool. What goes around, comes around; see the young guys with the goatees that have made a comeback? Oui, oui! Butch/56sedandelivery.

26. autobilly

autobilly

"...drag racing is the international language of hoodlums." Dig it daddyo!*

*International language of hep.

27. rumblefish

rumblefish
    from NE Ohio

That is some of the coolest footage I've seen!!!

28. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The rollers took away the push starts and the whole "show' of getting the cars straight with the strip....the crowd loved all this commotion...
    (photo not Lions)

[​IMG]

all replaced with the rollers

[​IMG]

29. catdad49

catdad49

I could watch videos like that forever. I grew up reading about all the fantastic fuel and gas action on the other coast, but the closest I could get was "The Big Sounds of the Drags" record! I'm sure my folks got tired of hearing all those evil sounds. Thanks for the memory jog,Cat