Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old cars made into signs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hodad, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Sauli

Sauli

Does anyone else recall a club/restaurant on the side of a Interstate highway somewhere between Harrisburg and Lancaster, PA from about 20 yrs ago, early ´90s?
    They had a ´59 Caddy 2dr Coupe (or the back half of it at least...?) put up on the roof in the "Cadillac Ranch" -style of a nose-dive position. Looked to be a shiny dark metallic gray color, blacked-out glass, WWW´s, nice chrome and the taillights would be lit after dark. Unfortunately I don´t recall the exact location of it, I was new to the area at the time and it was only once that I went past it and that´s the general area where I think it was. I understood the name of the location might´ve been "Rod´s Roadside Cafe" or something like that, I know they´re still in business in several locations in the area, I just don´t recall ever seeing the car since. So does anyone else remember where it was and if it´s still there?

2. prost34

prost34

hey!!,i built that car!!,,,that was one of don purdoms(spelling) early race cars,the owner of lebbanon valley dragway at the time had me mock it up as a sign almost 15 years ago,,tube chassis,blower,etc...

3. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

any ohio guys got a pic of the one on rt. 40, the orange 29 sedan?

4. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Really neat idea but they gotta roll that thing out and clean under it from time to time. That's fuckin gross!!

5. Dont have a picture of it, but there is a 1940s Packard sitting on top pf Kanter's Auto Parts in Boonton, NJ

6. Lanes garage has a 1958 NSU for a sign . I need a windshield for my NSU man I wish I could locate one of them.

Thanks
    Frenchy

7. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

Some of these look like they are worth saving as useful cars. There's a sedan delivery on Hwy 7 East of Lawton OK over a salvage yard. Been there many years. I guess we aren't the only country that this stuff is done in. In Belgium on all four roads leading into the town where the battle of the bulge was fought during WWII there is a tank parked at the side of the road.

8. bigbubba

bigbubba

[​IMG]

In southeast Missouri,Classic car place

Stogy likes this.
  9. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Here is a pic I took a couple of years ago in Osoyoos BC. Not sure what the buisness is.

Attached Files:

10. XL-FE

XL-FE

This was a -54 Vovo 444 body-in-white that was ordered but never found any use at a Volvo dealership in Pitea. Someone came up with the idea to convert it into a -58 and use it as a sign instead of scrapping it. It became sort of a landmark and when the dealership moved some fifteen years ago, of course the "car" came along to the new location. I´ve been a carnut for as long as I can remember and since I was born in Pitea, maybe this is what sparked my interest.

Attached Files:

11. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Idaho, Post Falls, I seem to run outa gas there quite a bit

12. Some of you guys in the Southwest gotta know Truly Nolen pest control....heres a couple of the 100+ cars they have around for adverts,I remember these going back to the early 60s here in Tucson

Attached Files:

• tn1.jpg
      tn1.jpg
      File size:
      4.4 KB
      Views:
    • tn 2.jpg
      tn 2.jpg
      File size:
      3.5 KB
      Views:
    • tn 3.jpg
      tn 3.jpg
      File size:
      3.5 KB
      Views:
    • tn 5.jpg
      tn 5.jpg
      File size:
      4.2 KB
      Views:
  13. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

just drove by this yesterday !

Attached Files:

15. My Cousins Place Near Coldwater Michigan....

Attached Files:

16. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

A shop in Va.

Attached Files:

17. CheapSheep

CheapSheep

[​IMG]

At the local scrap for american cars! About 45 feet in the air and the headlights light up at night!

18. rat pink

rat pink
    BANNED

i think i might have seen that befor.... and its not solid "shorty" i almost bought it once...

19. RDR

RDR

Good idea for you guys with businesses....let uncle sam help your old car hobby with business deducts....not sure if that still works today; but in the 80s I was able to make it work on a 34 p/u for business...3 year write-off depreciation....customers loved it and remembered it for years after it was retired off the road....;)

20. Heo

Heo

Hey XL FE I Was just thinking about the Volvo in
    Piteå when i read this tread have been there for as long
    as i can remember

21. Shon Wittenbarger

Shon Wittenbarger
    from Georgia

Yes it hit the pole. Two died in the wreck in 77 or 78. They were racing against a 55 camino truck (I think it had a B.B. can't remember) on the terrace which runs parallel with I-24 in Eastridge TN. They touched and the carmaro lost control hit the curb flipped up and wrapped itself around the pole.

22. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

Meatball; Truly's got a lot of them doesn't he? They are all over Phoenix as well. Here though he just has VWs

23. Yeah they are everywhere,I was at the lot where he sores them and restores them the are from the 20s thru the early 60s ,its amazing the kinda stuff he has on the street and it rarely gets screwed with,they just putout a 59 chevy truck out thats bitchin as hell,even has cool wheels

24. OK heres some more from Truly Nolen..........

Attached Files:

25. One that I know is still up is Wetmore Tires in Ferndale Michigan. Not on a pole, but in a niche in the wall above the door. Southbound Woodward near Nine Mile Road. Sorry for no photo, but it's probably about a 90 mile round trip for me.

Also, there used to be a late 40's Buick at a scrap yard in Muskegon Michigan. Can;t remember the name or where exactly, but it was there in the early to mid 90's at least.

26. draginsteel

draginsteel

I knew I had this one in the archives somewhere. I believe it's in Salinas Utah.

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  27. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Wrong. That car has been on top of Mosteller's Towing off Dodd's ave. in Chattanooga since it happened in the mid '70's. They were drag racing on the terrace along I-24 lost control and hit that pole top first at over 100mph. His son was not in the car. Thats just a rumor.

28. historynw

historynw

[​IMG]

Hard Rock Atlanta

29. piche582

piche582
    from Sonora, Ca

I've seen that one! Just over the hill from Jackson Hole in front of the Drive in Theater outside Victor Idaho

30. cheeto

cheeto
    from WA/MT

WA/ID/MT seems to have quite a few. As mentioned, The Hot Rod Cafe has several inside and one on the signpost that rotates. Goodtymes pub in Spokane Valley has a Caddy(?) sticking out of two walls. Pegasus Auto Wrecking out of Hayden,ID has about a dozen different cars on top of railroad boxcars. Libby,MT has has a Rambler(?) on a pole outside the drive-in and a '46(?) Chevy flatbed on a pole in front of the Ace Hardware that gets decorated for the different holidays. I'll try to remember to get pics on my next trip through.