Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Ultimate T-5 Article

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Ernie, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Excellent tech article. I have a T-5 out of a 85 S-10, with the 2.8 V6 engine and a 3.42 locking rear axel, (my S-10 just got totalled). :(:(:( I'm thinking about putting the T-5 behind a 283 V8, and putting them in an 59 GMC. I've read where the input shaft, and front bearing retainer on a V6 T-5 is too long. The usual answer is to shorten the input shaft and bearing retainer. My question is: Will the input shaft and bearing retainer from a V8 T-5 fit in the V6 T-5 transmission? :confused::confused::confused: The V6 T-5 input shaft just looks kinda weak to me. Course, I'm used to working on Muncies.:D:D:D

3. Snarl

Snarl

No, because the size of the gears are different. You could swap the entire gearset, but not just one piece. ALso, WC and NWC internal parts do not mix...

The only thing heavier on the input shaft of the V8 T5 is the diameter at the splines. It necks down to the same size as the others and uses the same bearings.

All T5's from S10's have the longer input shaft. Doesn't matter what engine it had.

4. So a S10 V6 T5 will bolt onto a sbc?

Steve

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Yes, but don't evaluate a T5 by engine application...tag number is the only way.

Given the choice, I wouldn't run an S10 T5 behind a SBC.

It will bolt up, but the input shaft is slightly longer on the T5 - may require shortening of the input collar/bearing retainer and possibly deepening of the input splines or shortening the clutch disk splines....measure carefully to see if it's required in your application.

6. dankster

dankster
    from pittsburgh

I heard that a T56 shifter works with the S10 conversion.

7. 1beatnik

1beatnik
    from indiana

I might be a nerd, but Im printin the whole thread. Too much to take in to my small mind at one time, Ill have to study it.

8. Falcon_Rod

Falcon_Rod

Thank you for this thread, it is excellent.

I am currently working on a WC T5 out of an early 90's Mustang GT and collecting all the parts I will need to place it in my Falcon. This thread has been an amazing help. I am rather excited as I know I'm going to be having a blast with T5 over the ancient 3spd I am currently running with.

Thanks again!
    Gayl

9. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Ernie, please help me. I have an 8BA Flathead from a truck. A T5 from a 90's S10 truck (judging by the electronic speedo). I purchased the smaller, darker colored bellhousing (attached to engine in pic). I was under the assumption I was ready to mate the engine/trans. The holes on the bellhousing do not line up with any of the holes on the transmission. The bell housing bolt circle diameter is larger than on the transmission. Is it the previously mentioned Speedway adapter that I am now needing to accomplish this?

I really appreciate the time you've taken to compile the info that you have provided. I have referanced it numerous times for others as well.

Attached Files:

10. gotmark73

gotmark73

Sounds like the bell housing is Ford bolt pattern and a Chev bolt pattern trans.

11. bobscogin

bobscogin

Looks like you didn't need the dark blue adapter to begin with. I think the Speedway / Offenhauser adapter bolts right to the truck bellhousing.

Bob

12. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

No, what you've got there is the big truck mini-bellhousing or "hogshead". This is used with a flat-plate adapter (as sold by Dwight Bond in the write-up or machined per George's instructions). You're partway there.

This is true as well. If you BUY a Speedway, Offenhouser, Cornhusker adapter, you won't need the truck "hogshead" and it will bolt to your ring adapter.

13. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Now you have the hogs head a cheaper way to go would be the Dwight Bond adapter, that's what I used!

[​IMG]

14. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I am only a step away from mating these. Where would I find the Dwight Bond adapter? Thanks for including the pic. I'm usually pretty mechanically inclined, but this has me always wondering what my goal would end up looking like.

15. silent rick

silent rick

ditto. i went to ebay and searched his ID, 007dwight. he doesn't have anything currently listed on ebay. i did send him an email though. does dwight have a website? i searched and couldn't find one. last question, does anybody remember what dwight get's for these adapter plates?
    supposedly, wilcap has these plates also. i've emailed pat several times with no result. come on guys, don't make me switch to a 350/350.

16. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Any contact info to acquire one of these Dwight Bond adapters?

17. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Search "Dwight Bond Contact" here on the HAMB...there's a couple threads with it...

18. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

good info thanks

19. flthd31

flthd31

Dwight sent this to me back in May or June of 2009. Don't know if it's still valid info...worth a try.

Attached Files:

20. Vergil

Vergil

Dwight Bond Second Chance Classics
    Gibbon NE.
    308-468-5885

21. silent rick

silent rick

the adapter pictured looks like it is for a chevy pattern transmission. does mr. bond make one for a ford pattern trans?

22. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Thanks SO much for this extra information.

23. 37fatfender

37fatfender

I have got a problem......I swapped out a NWC t-5 with a 4:03 gear (and sold it, without knowing what lay ahead of me) for one with a 3:76 first gear. My problem is the old tranny is gone and the speedometer driven gear will not go into the trans. I cannot get the driven gear to match up to the drive gear. I had the 3.76 rebuilt at a trans shop. My questions is could the tranny shop have replaced the speedometer drive gear with the incorrect unit. I have researched for possible part swap but had not luck. Anyone had this problem.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  24. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Flat Ernie , Thanks for all the great information ! I have been looking for some help on my T-5 . I just clipped and pasted for my records !

RetroJim

25. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Most likely, the trans driven gear is et up for electronic transmission. Or an electronic speedo drive of some sort. Send 'snarl' a PM and ask..he's smarter on this stuff than am....

26. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

If I recall correctly, when you have an electric speedo shaft from a mustang, and swap to the S10 extension housing, the index hole for the drive gear is in the wrong place. You need to make a new hole just aft? of the existing one. Shim stock wrapped around the shaft to get the right OD may be needed. Use a strip of soda can.

Might be what you're into?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  27. Snarl

Snarl

If both are from S10's,
    If all the parts in question are truely for a mech drive setup, it should all go together.
    1)The tailhousing hole should be horizontal, not angled upward.
    2)The gear on the tailshaft should be a worm gear (typically red or blue if Chevy), not a silver "sprocket".
    3) the slug needs to be for a T5 or TH350. If you are having trouble getting it in, try lubricating the O-ring.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  28. Sorry that it took so long to get back to everyone. Thanks for the info.. this is exactly what I need. The trans I have now I'm told is called a t-10.. it has numbers stamped in the casting that ID it as a t-10.. I quess from behind a 4cyl. I think it would be ok behind a mild flathead or 4cly.. but I'm nervous about the SB.

29. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

If your going to use Dwights adapter be sure and check the imput shaft length....I had to shorten mine 5/8 inch

30. Snarl

Snarl

Ummm.... not sure about that...:confused:

The T-10 4spd was used in the late 50's-early 60's corse spline input and output as I recall... Behind V8's so no strength issues...

Super T-10 4spd was late 70's-80's with 26 spline input and the large output like a TH400 has... behind V8's so no strength issues...

If you google this stuff you will find pictures and specs so you aren't guessing about what you have, otherwise post a picture...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.