Register now to get rid of these ads!

BSA Pinewood Derby Car Builds....Slightly OT but it is RACING

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pontiacres Ranch, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

we've got plenty of filing and rounding to do, then some sanding....lts of sanding. Logan's the little doer, He's been around the rasp, the cheese grater, and the sanding block. Last summer we made a speed boat out of left over 2x4. I drew the shape in Adobe & shot it out on the printer. We spray glued the illustrator template on the wood and he started rounding it out. It's not quite done, but there's no deadline on it like the Derby. He'll get his hands dirty, believe me.

2. flash

flash

I love this thread! My boy is 9 months old and I can't wait to start building these with him. I might need to start now since I need a fix...my last one was when I was in cub scouts 30 years ago.

3. springer

springer

here is one i built in the early eighties for cub scouts
    [​IMG]

4. Well then, you rock! I had visions of dads that do everything and get into a "war" with the other dads in the Pack.

5. springer

springer

here are some my kids are going to race soon in the open class at a cub scout picewood derby.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. springer

springer

the gold one is mine.

7. Elmer

Elmer

Here's one we did. It didn't win, but it had the most style.

[​IMG]

8. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

here is the first pinewood derby car i built on my own when i was in the 5th grade (but my mom helped me with the brown "feathers")
    [​IMG]

9. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Were SMALL town, 25 kids in the whole Pack, 6 of them are Tigers like Logan. My goal is to have him work on it, but to help to make it look nice too, maybe get the automotive engineering award. Keep him from rushing through it and to take some pride in building something cool. He's the only gear head of my 4 kids, hoping this will be a step toward having a co-pilot to some real car stuff. Im not saying that my hands won't be on his hands draggin the files, or holding the spray paint can, but I do want him to learn to reach for a big goal and stay on it till its done. Ill post pics as we go along, both for this thread and for scouts.

10. gearguy

gearguy

Reading this thread makes me "pine" for grandchildren! My son is an Eagle Scout and finally won the pack race when I let him build it himself. One of the saddest things I ever saw though was the faces of scouts with no dad to help them build a car. Our last 3 years in scouts we hosted an "open shop" day for boys to come with any adult and build a car complete using my tools. It was a great time and I encourage anyone who can to do likewise.

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

PS: Some of the "boy built" cars might have looked a bit shabby but you wouldn't have known from their smiles on race day. A few raced pretty well too.

11. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Springer.....thats the same Blower we have......but I need another!

12. jeepfink

jeepfink
    from So Cal

We just sent 3 to a friend in Canada (they call them KubKars there) for their derby and scout fundraiser!
    3 of the guys from Von Hot Rod's Pinstriping Circus did the cars , there was a Kustom, a Belly Tanker and a Rat Rod (with a Rat Fink!)
    I will see if I can find a photo of any of them.
    Lots of fun for the artists, very nostalgic

13. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

We had an Open House today from 9-noon, only a few of the "Weekend Dads" showed up. I drug the band saw, an assortment of files, and some C clamps up to the scout cabin, but never had to get them out of the truck since no one else came. One of the other dad's had brought his band saw and a pile of sand paper. We're doing the same thing next weekend, but they will have the Scale there. Ill have pics tomorrow of the patterns and the side extensions that widen the body.

14. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Well....today Logan and I finalized the design. I sent the templates to the laser printer and printed black silhouettes of the body sides so that we could enclose the rear wheels and bring the car out to the max width of 2.75 inches. Logan cut them out and spray glued them to the 1/2 inch slabs of 2x4 that we are using for the sides. I set the hold down on the Delta Scroll Saw and helped him with his 1st practice cuts. There were no pics taken of moms worried face as she was behind the camera but I could see her panic as his little fingers got within a few inches of the blade. I was surprised how comfortable he became running the saw, Ill probably have to be watching him closer when he decides to "Go outside and Play." Tomorrow night we run out to the hardware store to pick up some sandpaper, wood glue, Graphite Dri-Lube, and most importantly....the 2nd Blower!

Here are a few Pics. Oh yeah....is there a minimum age to be a HAMBer? He thinks this is the coolest thread ever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OK.....maybe I got carried away with the pics, but It was great to have some company in the Garage.....and not once were video Games mentioned.

15. Peppered Rat

Peppered Rat

Awesome pics! I'm having just as much fun with my little bear scout helping him build his derby...needless to say - I was the only Mom at our Pack workshop running the saws, drill presses, etc. and I kind of felt sorry for my son, but when there's no one else, Super Mom Car Builder has to step in!

16. 48bill

48bill

My grandson with his top speed for his age group and best paint derby car.

Attached Files:

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

"And not once were video games mentioned". Mission accomplished sir, job well done! Oh, and no, you didn't overdo on the pictures!

18. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Just some sanding this evening, and a trip to get some glue.Dang store was out of lead blowers....looks like we'll have to improvise....Hide the Muscle machines!

19. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Sanding.....Sanding.....I think I see a mirage. Yes...She's holding a killians and a Dad's Rootbeer.

20. so cool lots of great ideas!

21. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Last Night Logan got to shape the Front of the main block, smoothing it down & bringing it to a nice aerodynamic point. Once he was done with the cheese grater file, we moved on to the 60 & 100 grit paper on a block of scrap. He's enjoying the build almost as much as I am. Here are more progress pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tonight well shape the drivers area and hollow out the cockpit. Maybe run to the speed shop for that 2nd mill.

22. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

More Sanding....shaping the cockpit, smoothing the Fenders...

23. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

We got the Body sides all shaped out in the front, the cockpit headrest area is smoothed. After Youth Group we'll glue it up and C clamp the fenders to the body and let it dry for the night so tomorrow we can round out the ass end. She's taking shape! More Progress Pics....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tomorrow, Well Sand some, then Sand some more, and maybe shoot a coat of sandable primer on so we can sand some more Friday....

24. neon charly

neon charly

building these cars are some of my fondest memories of father/son projects. every year they just kept getting better and more fun!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

awesome post. I've still got my cars from way back. I spent HOURS sanding my fingers raw to paint them with rattle can specialty colors from the local paint shop. great memories and a great way to get kids involved early--I still help out with derbies

26. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Nice pics Son ,,i enjoyed those times too !! great to watch you win first place ,,,made me a Very Proud father fer sure ,,,

27. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Wow Charly Im digin that F1 car...looks like it was alot of fun. Im hoping they bring back the sibling races next year....I want to build one too.

28. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Notice the angle of the wing on Neon Charly's Red Car ,,the air flow actually lifted the rear wheels offa the track ,,made it go faster ,,and WON ,!!! So KOOL ,,

29. Here's one of two my son and I did about 18 years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Thats what Im gathering...Melsfine39 said his car ran better backwards.....Charlys car had lift on the back making it lighter....more weight on the front makes for faster times...