Register now to get rid of these ads!

Official Metal Flake Steering Wheel Pic and ID Thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jan 21, 2010.

1. was there ever an orange one made?

2. Muttley

Muttley

Yeah, but it's one of the rarer colors.

3. Good luck in the junkyards. The 'flake wheels from Grant and Superior can be had on Evil Bay for $50-100. Cragar and other rare ones go for a good bit more. A real fun thing to collect, plus easy to swap out different wheels in your car. That way you can enjoy the collection 1 at a time on the road.:cool:

4. They make em now @ Moon if you need one

5. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

A couple hanging on my garage wall. Had the Gold one in my Gasser for a while.

Attached Files:

6. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

One in my Nova Wagon. All of them are old ones. I have a new green one on my golf cart but no pic available right now.

Attached Files:

• 069.jpg
      069.jpg
      File size:
      546.4 KB
      Views:
  7. What is the color of the bottom one in person? Looks pretty cool. Wanna sell? PM me if yes. Thank you so much

8. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Bottom one is a bronze/copper color. Going to hang on to it for now.

9. A new Superior Blue sold for 200 on E-bay. Mostly see the greens show up, not the most popular color. Originals are best if you can score one, but I don't know why they stopped repro-ing. Speedway had them what happened?

10. vegas

vegas

The gold Superior in my coupe. It took a while to find...after buying a "gold" one that was really a green faded wheel that looked gold in pics, I ended up getting a real gold one from a HAMB'er..I did make a few bucks on the green one putting it on eGay, but I was surprised anyone wanted it because it looked like it had been in the sun forever.

Attached Files:

11. That's a great shade of gold. I have a gold one, but it's much lighter. I like yours a lot

12. vegas

vegas

Thanks! With the seats I have, that was the only color metalflake wheel that would have gone with them.

13. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Just picked up another today for the collection. Its a 500 but the color is a blue/green. Tough to get pics of...

Attached Files:

14. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

Ah ,,,,so your the one:D

15. XsSpeed

XsSpeed
    from MD

Here's my moon one installed. I have another if someone wants to buy it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Clik

Clik

Mooneyes offered them in slots or holes but show both of them to be sold out.

I'd like to see steering wheels offered to match the various wheels that are on the ground. I think a smaller, steering wheel version of the gasser spoke wheels on my straight axle Henry J would look cool.

17. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Yes, I know. I am the one...I need help, maybe an intervention.

18. Mojo

Mojo

I have one like that, it's hard to get pictures of too. It's translucent green with blue flake mixed in. When I bought it, it was brown. I had to cut it down with compound, and it turned an amazing green/blue/turquoise. Three holes per spoke, no names, no finger grips.

19. Try without the flash

20. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I scored this red one out of the classifieds here last week. Just waiting for it to arrive in the mail.
    [​IMG]

21. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

I've got this wheel in straight black, little rust around mounting area, must of sat in a junkyard for a while, otherwise really nice. Large diameter is perfect for my wagon with no PS.

22. Clik

Clik

I noticed the dash in that 66 Chev truck and it reminded me that I had a 65 1 Ton and a 66 1/2 Ton. I got the 65 a few years after I sold the 66 and realized I had grown a bit. Needed more belly room. So, I bought a small custom wheel that was probably only eight or ten inches but it had a much thicker grip. It was a bear to drive for most people as the truck had no power steering. I don't see any wheels that small anymore. Have they been outlawed or something?

23. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

I ran a small 10" in my Road Runner back in Texas but was pulled over a few times for the steering wheel being too small. I know its illegal in Texas...Haven't really pushed my luck here in Indiana---I don't like attention.HA

24. flyin-t

flyin-t

An ad from a old Hot Boat mag from 1965.

Growing up in the boat biz I can remember cases upon cases of flake steering wheels in the parts room.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  25. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

not flake but these were from Japan. not very hot rod ish, more custom or lowrider.
    I only have a blue one left that I keeping

[​IMG]

26. That's a great picture!

27. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

Holy crap those are amazing!

Don't really dig the newer style mounting holes, but still pretty rad!

28. moparmaddnes

moparmaddnes
    from Minnesota

Happy those are cool, but like you said not really for the hot rodder. Just looking at these wheels makes me want to put one in my coupe when I get it done. I will be looking for a turq. or silver one. What kind of prices can one expect for some of the vintage ones and what companies sell new versions?
    Matt

29. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

That is cool. I didn't know there were that many colors!

30. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

prices have went to the roof the last 6 months,,,,a nice one will run 50- 100 easy,,,I dont think anyone sells new ones at the moment