Register now to get rid of these ads!

Distributor and Magneto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little Wing, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Trying to find out..

A Mag need no battery to function

What about a Dist. ?

Reason I ask is cause if your battery is dead you can push start your car and teh Dist works ( even though no electric ) and teh car starts and runs

also I have seen cars started and the the battery taken out and it still runs.

So if a car will always be push started can it use just a Dist. ?

2. GARY?

GARY?

gonna' also need a generator or alternator to get juice to the coil?
    Am I correct?

3. jpm49c

jpm49c

A Dist will only run with an alt on the car. The alt will put out enough juice to keep it running. If it has a generator it will not!

4. Heo

Heo

and a alternator needs a batery to start
    working

5. The alternator is what powers a distributor.

Damn my slow hands!!!

6. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

ahh,,k thanks,,

7. gas pumper

gas pumper

If your talking about your dragster, you could run a dist and then run a small motorcyle battery to power it. An ignition system only draws a couple of amps.

8. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Yeah have seen that,,trying to avoid a battery,,though with cost of a magneto,,might just have to.

9. 32ratsass

32ratsass

I may be wrong, but I believe that the alternator is going to rely on battery power to supply the field current, where the generator has a permanent magnet field, and can supply power to the coil, without external power from a battery. If this is a dragster application, your best choice from a weight/cost standpoint will be a distributor and smaller motorcycle battery, as Gas Pumper suggested. A mag is the best choice, but cost is definately a factor.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  10. repoman

repoman

So bump-starting was invented after alternators came?

11. A distributor needs a alternator to work, a mag creates its own spark, you have to ground out a mag to shut the car off unless you run it out of gas.

12. 61bone

61bone

All a mag is is a distributor with a built in generator. So, yes, you can run a dist and gen and push start it, but you're going to have to get it rolling right along to get enough output to fire it.

13. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

yeah :)...

do the amount of amps the Gen. put out help ??

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  14. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

No !! any size generator would do the job. BUT along with the generator you will also need a voltage reg. to go with it. The generator needs to be spinning 1000-1200 rpm before it starts making much power. Bottom line a Mag or a small battery!!

15. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

:confused::confused::confused: ok I may be missing something here,,but what would the difference be between what you do to push start a regular car ?? and a Regulator is no big deal

16. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

And just for another note, a contact point distributor draws approx 3 amps in stock form. A GM HEI electronic for example will draw 5.5-6 amps. A MSD with a box and low resitance coil needs 10 amps plus!!!

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When you push stert a "Regular" car it has a battery in it. That battery may not have enough current in it to turn the starter and fire the coil but if you push the car to turn the motor it has enough to fire the coil alone. If you had no battery at all you would not have any current to fire the coil and plugs. In my old altered and my current Bonneville cars I just run a battery and no on board generating system. I have a Honda gas generator to charge the battery between rounds. I could and at times have run a magneto, but I still need a battery because I like to be able to fire the car without push starts.

18. squirrel

squirrel

All the automotive generators I've encountered do not use permanent magnets, instead they use field coils. That way the generator's output can be regulated....

The cores for the field windings may become magnetized, though? I've never checked.

19. can anybody add anything about Zener diodes, or a Mity Max? I never ran one, but they made 'em for kickstart motorcycles. essentially a battery eliminator that allowed the kickstart to generate enough current in the stock charging system to start the bike with the stock ignition, and then afterwards, to allow the charging system to run the whole electrical system, (lights)

20. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

ok,,thanks for explaining that

21. 32ratsass

32ratsass

Squirrel, You're absolutely right!:eek: Sorry, I apparently had my head up my ass for a bit there! I'd still go with the distributor/small battery setup if it were mine.:)

22. dudley32

dudley32

buy a mag ...it's much cheaper than the car...if you stick with the same type motor you can use it over and over again..I love 'em...d32

23. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Those systems were used with alternators . The Brit bikes with the alts and Zener diodes also had a flasher sized capactor in the circut. Ran a shit load of BSA-Triumph's set up that way.