Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Kaiser Drag'n build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NTAPHSE, Jun 13, 2008.

1. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

I know I haven't had any chrome updates in a while, but they are coming. I may have to have Keith post them because I am having really bad luck with computers lately.

The bumpers have been done for almost 3 months now, but after much procrastination, I have decided to redo them as there was significant pitting around many of the welded areas. Once they are done again, I will show them off.

There is still the T-bird interior stuff to do and the grill centers, then the stainless, then it will be done. This car will have a lot of brightwork. I can't wait to see it in person.

2. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I just got off the phone with Josh and he is going to fill the holes in the floating grill bar and weld studs for attachment. This way it will match the bumper with hidden hardware. What a guy eh? Look for pics, I made him promise to take some.

Here it is now. He will be hiding the three screws that you see on the top of the grill bar.

[​IMG]

3. freebird101

freebird101

4. Pingar

Pingar

Just read the whole build thread. The work that went it to this is awesome. I love everything you did to it. Alot of great ideas in here.

5. FatDaddy53

FatDaddy53

man this is a bad ass ride i always took parts off these cars haha never considered one for a chop kustom

6. maccustom

maccustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent work - you have really transformed this car from an ugly duckling to bad-ass custom. I really thought you deserved the Hot Rod award when I first learned about the car.

7. bloodshaker

bloodshaker

I've read this build about a hundred times since I found it last week. Excellent work! It's kicked me in the rear to get back on my project. Can't wait for an update!

8. 510madmav

510madmav

any more progress? love this build..

9. inkmunky

inkmunky

More more more!!!!

10. Whats the Scoop?

11. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Every time you post I do a double take at your avatar thinking its my car. :)

You guys have an uncanny sense for when I am working on the car. I just got back from Winfield's on Wednesday.

12. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

So I went back to Gene's this week to do more work on the car, this time my friends Travis and Murph came to help. Most of the car is now in primer and getting pretty close to finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We metal finished the rest of the dash pieces and the center console so they can be painted. I stretched the center console so it will run from the back seat to the dash, it should look pretty cool with matched paint on it.

[​IMG]

And here are the two outstanding items. I'll be headed back out there one more time to wrap these two things up. First, Gene talked me into running these peaked headlight rings that he found in Australia. I couldn't tell you what model they are off off because I had never heard of it, but needless to say I should be about the only one with the parts. Gene also pointed out to me that the peaked headlights will tie in nicely with the peaks on the windows and will also follow the forward slant of the hood.

The second item I need to finish is the rear package tray, which is a '65 T-Bird part that I added sheetmetal to fit it into the Kaiser. I used 20 gauge because it's what I had on hand, and it is waaaay too thin. I also made it out of a patchwork of pieces over a frame. Now that I've learned a little more about sheetmetal work, the better way to make it is to use 16g and roll out a compund panel on the english wheel, then gas weld one seam at the front to join that panel to the T-Bird part that wraps around the seats. Gene said he will spend one more hour trying to massage this mess into shape, and if it doesn't work we are going to make a new panel. I hate to redo work but we'll just call this one a learning experience.

[​IMG]

13. inkmunky

inkmunky

Hahaha well just wait i made a deal for a 51 to go with the 53 and one of them won't be too far off from yours :D You're just lucky your in AZ i'm stuck up here in 30* weather and can't get to the garage!

And damnit Gene i'm gonna run peaked 56 olds rings on one of em... looks like he's still got the eye for style, and great minds think alike haha.

Looks awesome man can't wait to see it in paint!!! Now quickly block block block that sucker!

14. inkmunky

inkmunky

Oh and keith i know you got more pics don't be stingy with em :D;)

15. Amoros

Amoros

NTAPHASE. Was the model car for the headlight rings called a holden?

16. shit man... That is gunna be so fucking sweet when its done. I mean its already cool as hell and its not even together. I really want to see that one in person. Cheers over and over.

17. Amoros

Amoros

Inkmunky- do you have a thread build on your car?

18. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I don't think I've ever paid this much attention to a Kaiser before. Your work is amazing. Can't wait to see this tail dragger done. Awesome thread

19. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Indian Larry had a sign in his shop that read "The heat is in the tools." I think of that every time I'm working and it's cold. It hits 120 here in AZ, that's pretty tough to work in too.

20. Wholly shit that's a lot of work! It paid off... because you have one cool ass unique custom!

Sam

21. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Haha sorry but that is every pic I took this trip. I was working the whole time!

22. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Hey I got pics coming soon. The smoothed grill is done, and so are the bumpers. Although I haven't inspected the rear bumper yet...

Keith, you better get those new headlight rings over here. Good thing I hadn't done the originals yet.

I got to meet Gene Winfield here in Indy at the World of Wheels show. :cool: I even got a T-shirt.

I finally got a website for our shop. It is pretty simple, and I plan on doing more, but it's there at least: www.ChromePlatingIN.com

23. Amazing ride! Love the fact that you have what 'Dutch' Darrin called the 'Sweetheart Dip' on both windshield and rear window. Look forward to following the thread. :cool:

Also good to know Gene's still going strong. I haven't seen him for something like 18 years.

24. inkmunky

inkmunky

Sure it was.... well then keep working so we can see it in paint!

25. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Ahhh crap I meant to call you and tell you not to chrome the stockers! I'm waiting on Gene to find the second headlight ring, then it will be on it's way to you. It's looking like Del Mar is not in the cards at this point too, so you can slow down on the chrome if you need to.

26. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Sounds like someone knows their Kaiser history. :)

Strong is an understatement for Gene. He puts us 20somethings to shame.

27. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Few more pics from my friend's cell phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. I never thought for a second that this car would get built to this kind of level when I started reading this thread. I can hardly wait to see it get some of Genes trademark paint.

29. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]