Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the purpose of this

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spobanz, Feb 25, 2010.

1. What killed me was that when he rolled the car the trunk was full of fucking rabbits! A true WTF? moment.....

Attached Files:

2. belair

belair

But they went faster, since they were always going downhill, right?

3. No shackles on this puppy...Gabriel Hijackers!

Attached Files:

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I give myself a gold star for CUTTING a coil out of the front springs of my Falcon to get the look in 1980 - didn't use a spring compressor though, so it was damn near my last modification too!

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Oh, and as long as this is turning into a seventies and eighties reminiscence, I might as well mention what is populating my back yard right now! I can't post pictures yet so use your imagination - '71 Maverick red with a white top, V8 C/4 car with 27000 mi., 15x8 Us indy slots on the back with 15x7 Us indys on the front, one coil clipped on the front, and a couple of speed parts stickers in the windows. Oh yea, the 8 track works! Can you say ultimate high school ride circa 1980? I was giggling like a school girl when I put those wheels on!

6. chris55

chris55

[​IMG]

You turn that into a 71, and you have my first car. Same color even.:D

7. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Something makes me want a '71 Camaro, jacked up in the back, a wide set of M/T's, and either Cragars or Keystones, and a blown big block Olds under the hood (yes an Olds in a 'maro is a dream of mine).... Sounds fun... I think it'd have to have a wild 70's paint job too... maybe candy red w/ gold and silver panels? and lots of chrome and gold plated dress up parts... Black diamond pleated buckets, and cowl mounted gauges... black shag carpet, and there has to be liberal amounts of dark walnut used on the interior too... Might go for side pipes too.. and every once in a while swap the mags out for a set of 15x15 Tru Spokes.... Hmmmm.... :D

8. Heo

Heo

LOL bring back memories Torqetwisters.Formula one superstocks. Kelly springfields.
    anybody remember Lee manhandlers? N50 15 rear tires 155x15 or 14 front
    highjackers, cromed rearends, rebelflags painted under the gastank, cut frontcoils
    We used to bolt distances in the shackles to make them more sturdy
    I remember there was a 63 impala in my home town you could drive a
    mercedes under the rear the star on the grill hitted the gas tank about
    in the midle.
    But you never saw that rusted rat shit anywere and if you had a 4 door
    you was the laugh of the town
    And we put the speedparts stickers on the frontfenders and the rockers

9. sparkydog

sparkydog
    from Left Coast

No what killed you was the exhaust pipe fumes routed into the back seat. Anybody want to break into a National Guard Armory? :cool:

10. Here is my old 71...454 with a homemade tilt!

Attached Files:

11. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

Haha! I graduated '06 and did that to my '76 Skylark! :D

12. The Big M

The Big M

Interesting. I won't post a pic, but I have begun seeing this on some modified 90's era Hondas, for the exact same reason. I had thought it was a new idea.

13. sparkydog

sparkydog
    from Left Coast

The ultimate purpose was to get laid.

14. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I like to call it the anti-gasser stance..........or worst idea ever. Haha

15. zzford

zzford

Anyone else do all of the above with a van? Mine was a 65 Chevy Van. It had a 4 cylinder originally. The guy that had it before me put a well worn 283 in it. The V8 didn't fit in the engine box, so he cut it open on the sides to clear the heads. He covered the modification with some fiberglass panels. The dipstick protruded into the interior. When you drove it for any length of time over 45-50 mph, the blow-by would gas you badly. But it was cool!

16. historynw

historynw

He'd have to run his exhaust into the car too.......:eek:

Some of the dumbest stuff I've ever seen.I come from when it was supposed to be cool. Hi-Jackers never made sense.

17. 32ratsass

32ratsass

Tried the 'look" first with 2x4 blocks between the frame and axle on my '53 Studebaker Comander. It looked so damned cool I built a set of shackles in high school shop class. After that, I put a set of 9.15x15 www tires off a wrecked Cadilac on the rear and painted the rear end safety orange with green lights beside the differential. That looked so good, I heated the front coils, and collapsed them for more rake!!! The car was quickly becoming the envy of the whole western U.S. Shortly after achieving fame, I hit a manhole with the front crossmember!!! Ended my career as a custom builder!!:(:rolleyes:

18. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

You're all wrong. It was for gas mileage. This way the car is always going downhill:D:D:D:D.
    JUST KIDDING

19. chris55

chris55

[​IMG]
    Mine was a 402 turbo 400 4.11 twelve bolt. I put swivel buckets in it, and an Indymatic shifter. The seats set so tall, that my head hit the roof. But damn was I cool...:cool:

20. gas pumper

gas pumper

'n'shit. :D
    I thought this was from the east coast 'n'shit.
    I could end almost every sentance with that 'n'shit.
    I've been working real hard to not do this so youse guys don't make fun of me 'n'shit.
    Especially when I go to PA cause them guys don't use it there 'n'shit.
    'n'shit sometimes you can start a sentance with it 'n'shit.

So where did this come from, was it in a movie?

Hey, I'm goin to a museum tomorrow to look at all the cars 'n'shit. Just a plug for the Feb HAMb and scrapple meeting, Gonna drive out there even with all the snow 'n'shit.

:D

21. rustyhood

rustyhood

Well as far as fads go......when I was a kid late 50s early 60s: the fad was heat and lower rear springs, aim the front end toward the sky.( rocket age I guess)
    Later 60s to mid 70s: raise the back end by any means you could think of to clear L70 15 or L60 15 tires. I had dial -o- pressure on a cuda. When the law pulled me over I knew they would measure bumper height so I wouild start letting air out and be almost on tires by the time I stopped. Just slow pumping back up.
    Then skated and slammed and so on. Good memories. I once had a guy tell me if I hit my brakes I would be laying across the windshield. :D

22. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

What the hell is that, a prehistoric donk?:confused:

23. rockyfarmer

rockyfarmer

I must be sinile.......I graduated in 73 and still think that is THE ONLY WAY a muscle car should look..............

24. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Mid to late 60s nose up. Late 60s to well into the 70s ass up. Had an over lap while the transition took place. Any body mention metal flake Grant steering wheels,woodgrain contact paper on the dash and I tried some spray on window tint.(yeh,I know):eek: How about scavenger pipes hanging off the Walker glass packs or Thushes. You needed a jacked up rear for that. I've seen water pipe and a screw on plug welded on the exhaust pipe used for cut outs. Covair turbo mufflers in the eary 70s.I put those coil overload springs around the shocks on my 71 Maverick to clear my Mickies.Woked pretty good except when the back seat got busy they rubbed the shocks and squeaked,kinda like old bed springs. Added to mood.;) Bill

25. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

Don't even mention the CB with the power mic.

26. oh yea the CB power mic. Xm4318529 .. Xm4249786 on the call ... can you hear me Bennie?

27. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Where I come from the Toys R Us store was called "We Be Toys an'shit."

I always thought that was hella-funny.

28. little d

little d
    from sedalia mo

damn, i havent smiled like this in a long time!

29. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

:D:D:D My uncle had a 70ish torino wagon:rolleyes: with most everything you mentioned including the painted back glasses, he always had vans and jacked up stuff when I was a kid.
    I remember one 60s dodge van that he had, that had small strands of(christmas lights) for speaker wire running around the inside edge of the roof of the van to the speakers.
    They would flash to the beat of whatever was in the 8 track
    May not have sounded the greatest but it seems like I can still here
    AC/DC Back in Black screamin:cool:.......:D

I guess he inspired me with a lot of that stuff because alot of the ideas he had about what was cool are the same ideas I have today;)

30. n/50 15's mounted on 15/10's, 15/8's on a 65 corvair. Funky 4bbl conversion using JCWhitney manifold. JC's headers too. The header change resulted in NO heater for the winter, but you sounded kool while you froze your ass off. Borrowed parents station wagon for winter dates, which come to think of it, did work out very well too..lol.