Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the purpose of this

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spobanz, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

So does that mean im traditional????:D

Air shocks and stickers make it look like it goes fast, 11-1 327 makes it go fast.

Attached Files:

2. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I bought a 1956 Bel Air wagon about 30 years ago that had some home made shackles about a foot long on the back. Flat towing that thing home was an experience. Once we got some good tires on it, it just seemed to sway side to side like Kid Shalleen. I cannot imagine driving it under its own power.

Speaking of '70's memories, how about an old Craig 8 track with Mindblower speakers? Lost some upper range hearing in my buddies old Torino. Good times.

3. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

You mean these?

Yea, i got a pair. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

4. 61TBird

61TBird

I never "painted" the dome light...
    The round Red or Yellow Semi trailer light lenses were the PERFECT size to pop inside your Dome light!

5. Shagrat

Shagrat

Been there, Done that. :)
    [​IMG]

6. BlownMopar71

BlownMopar71

I had the shackles too but ran seperate lines to the air shockes so i could level the car up. The spring were wore out so bad it leaned 3 or 4 inches side to side.

7. spobanz

spobanz

I love this place. I ask a simple question and the smartest people in the room step up, not only answer my question but swap a bunch of cool stories. I have been reading here for years, and just got an account - seems like everyone says that. I first ran across this site from a really great post about camel heads from a google search. I check out the H.A.M.B everyday!

8. twogees

twogees
    from Mid Mo.

Yep! had all that plus shackles, air shocks, 10" steering wheel, on a 74 Nova with Keystone Classics! Man, I miss that car!:D

9. narducci

narducci

I did mine different in 1968. On my 57 210, I removed the entire rear end and mounted it on the bottom of the springs. I wish I had a picture!
    Oh yea, I forgot the little dished steering wheel. I had problems with the NJ inspection comrades

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  10. Super442s

Super442s

No sidepipes for me, I preferred to keep the neighbors awake with a pair of Purple Hornies.

11. 61TBird

61TBird

Camel Heads or Camel Toes :eek: :D
    [​IMG]

(Just breakin' yer balls...I know you meant GM Camel Hump Heads...:cool:)

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ain't it great? Ya get it all here. LOL. Basically, sittin' around, shootin' the bull with 1,00,000 people. Many different perspectives and viewpoints...many different experiences...from many different places...and all age groups. And what is it that ties us all together? Everybody now..."HOT RODS!"​

13. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

Oh I was in my formative years right then and damn if that look isn't cool when you are car crazy kid watching them go by and your riding the tire hump seat of the school bus!

I will take mine jacked up, slapper traction bars supertuner under the dash, speakers on the back deck, air shocks, paint the drums and the pumpkin, plaster the quarter windows with stickers! Hell most of my hot wheels had the jack it up option remember the back axle was in that plastic adjuster and you could set the ride height mine were all the way up man!:D Great now I have to build another car I am a ford guy but my son really digs novas I know the treatment it's getting now!:D

14. Well I guess I need to be in on this. the purpose was simple, the only way to run mickey thompson n-50's without a radioused wheel well, or narrowed rear. and lets not forget the heart shaped chrome spoke rims:cool:
    Oh yes let's not forget the sunroof.

Attached Files:

15. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Man I'm glad I wasn't around to see the 70's...

16. eddieb

eddieb
    from Sharon SC

yea...you got the look. Forgot the snorkle scoop. Where are the stickers? Holley equipped, Hijackers, and Edelbrock were mandatory. I remember my auto shop teacher in High School telling me I was going to wear the thrust bearing out in my engine from running the car jacked up like that.

17. barney rubble

barney rubble

A buddy I worked with back in the 70's said side pipes on a car where like pickles on his cheese burger. He wouldn't take them off if they where on there but he wouldn't pay extra for them either.

Oh yeah you had to get your muffler clamps real tight for them to work right. Done it to a buddies car one time to get the tires to clear then I was driving on our way to a concert in Evansville and I got a ticket for the back bumper being to high on his car.:D:D:D

18. Johnny99

Johnny99

MAN OH MAN! you guys are makin my day:) Dont forget the Craig 8 track players, Bobby Unser Special or Positraction Torque Twister tires. How many muscle cars were fucked up with a hole cut in the top and a groovy van sun roof installed? Seems like one air shock was always a leaker so the car was a leaning. Nuthin like reliving your past.
    Later John

19. man, I resemble that remark:eek: but just for clarification, I hacked the entire roof off an audi 100 so I could have a roll back sunroof.:) And of course, there was a chrome chain steering wheel inside. plus, I took it one step further and cut the dash out and installed a 69 cuda dash, complete with international truck guages:eek:

20. mtflat

mtflat

I didn't use the shackles, but did clamp the coil springs down in the front of my new '72 Duster - black with gold snakeskin roof. I stuffed the biggest tires that would fit in the wheelwells in the back.... ah, memories!

For those who have forgotten, drag racing was king back then. We didn't have the variety of car sports or anybody doing a retro look. So the "look" we leaned toward was cutting edge drag racers - the Funny Cars were just coming into their glory. Nose high Willys were about gone, but get the nose down and ass up for increased traction - what are spoilers?

21. dmw56

dmw56

Some of these.............

[​IMG]

22. chris55

chris55

Many a paycheck went to buy the stuff for THE LOOK when I was a teenager. Good to know some things never change. And to all those who were their in the 70s and early 80s, who say they didn't like that look at the time. You keep trying to fool yourselves...:D

23. Verminator

Verminator

1974 -- had the 60 chevy Parkwood wagon Rear coil spring spacers and HiJacker air shocks, steel slots on the front, Wide ass chrome Reverse on the back, 10 inch Chain wheel with NO Power Steering, Chrome side pipes, front and rear sunroofs, separate am/fm, 8 track, and cassette players with 2 sets of Jensen 6x9's, folded down rear seat frame with shag carpet, painted rear windows, beer flip top curtain between the front and back and the big christmas tree made from flip tops hanging from the rear view mirror....

24. Even some model cars released during that time period came with shackles to "jack up" the back.

25. 51Fourdoor

51Fourdoor

In So. Cal in the '70's, things were getting ugly between the "Surfers" and the "Lowriders". If you were a "Surfer", you'd do anything to get the back end of the car as high as possible and not be considered a Lowrider, including this type of hack job.

26. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Sounds terribly familiar..

27. Kerry67

Kerry67

I have some fond memories of cars looking like that. I don't think it looks good now but I like a muscle car to have its ass up a little bit. For the cars I am into now it would look stupid though........

28. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

When I bought my '64 GTO (1981), my first two orders of business were to remove the rear coil springs from a ????? that lifted the rear about six inches above normal ride height, and replace the black foam rimmed 8 inch diameter steering wheel, which was a real joy with manual steering----keep your hands clear of it when it was returning to center after a right angle turn, or risk losing a finger!

29. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

Yeah; it really sucked. The '30's - '60's cars were everywhere - most dirt cheap. Same with the parts that are now going for huge money. Then you had all those damn musclecars. What a terrible time to live.

30. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

what the story here? im a white trash idiot, the end.