Register now to get rid of these ads!

a new look with old style? or just cheesy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. 65fordguy

65fordguy

funny you should bring up the ole flat black.. I, for about a month, wanted to do my pickup flat black.. or semi gloss black.. then I went to a local show.. all be danged if there wasnt 20 flat black vehicles. with red wheels! blew my mind. cool look.. guess thats why everyone does it.

So.. plan two was foiled. I've been in plan 3 stages for about 8 months now.

2. 61TBird

61TBird

If the paint on that '67/'68(?) was applied by GM way back then,then it looks great.
    If you have a truck that is similar in appearance and have an actual Shop,then you'll be OK.

Fake Patina is the Acid Washed Jeans of Hot Rodding...:rolleyes:

3. mac762

mac762

I'll take a picture of my 66 sometime. It has lot's of patina. When I parked it in frustration years ago it had a semi-nice metal flake blue paint job. Now it has patina out the ass. The tops of the fenders are just about wore off from laying wrenches on there. The clearcoat is flaking off. Lot's of Ks sunburn on every horizontal surface. I wish it were shiny again..........

PS I like real boobs, but will settle for a "believable" set of fake ones. :)

4. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

Well my is mostly real patina, however when I started putting car together in 1985 I sandblasted the front clip components... fast forward to today I decided to match the rest of the car... so I added the rust based on pictures when we brought the car home... Probably would have been easier to fix the rest of it and do it satin black, but I sure get attention with it this way... Even more than my "Skettle Candy" 40 coupe.... Again do what YOU like....:)

Attached Files:

5. 61 chevy

61 chevy

i was going to fix a few things on my 61 body, but after this i think i will just save my money, ha, ha

6. 65fordguy

65fordguy

agreed... there is no shop anymore, long story short, in the late 60s my dad was working on some customers car, a guy pulls up and shot im 3 times.. he survived, but is a paraplegic.. He sold his shop to his apprentice.. and started doing work from home and became popular for rebuilding carbs until 2004 when he was diagnosed with colon cancer, which has all but taken him out of business.. one of the real reasons I bought my pickup.. something for him to work on.. keep his mind busy.. and something I can bug him about.

so no shop.. but I feel well deserving. I had the idea before I even knew that it was a fad.

logo I designed for it.

[​IMG]

an early idea (when I was thinking semi gloss black)

[​IMG]

7. dhughins

dhughins

i'm going against the majority here as usual. but i think it looks nice. if i could have all my real patina replaced for the fake i would love it. but if i was gonna spend all that time and money i would just do it similar to a show truck or a really nice driver.

"Fake Patina is the Acid Washed Jeans of Hot Rodding"

and we wore acid washed jeans when i was growing up

8. edweird

edweird

i lettered this truck for a gentleman who wanted it to match the rest of the truck, which is faked. i did'nt realize it until i looked at it real good. get my point? somebody did a good job!

Attached Files:

9. Shagrat

Shagrat

Good job on that front clip! Matches up nicely.

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Putting a sign or logo (that the owner likes) on the door of a truck ain't any different than painting the truck the color that the owner likes.

11. mattblack52

mattblack52
    from Ohio

I think it looks awesome! I'd drive it daily.

12. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Although I don't have a problem with paint jobs like the blue truck in the first post, it's getting kinda cliche...actually, it just makes the /authentic/ surviving paint jobs with company logos and phone numbers all that much cooler.

Most of my cars still have original paint...they don't look that great, they don't clean up all that well and they don't turn too many heads (as far as I know, I don't spend much time to notice one way or an udder)...but I'd rather spend 3 grand on another cool old Pontiac or two than have a nice paint job on the first one...plus I like to drive my cars without worrying about a door ding.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Well done fake petina is an art form IMO. The good jobs will stop me and force an inspection of the vehicle, I'd like to be able to do it.

14. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

That truck is from my area I have look at it up close, I for one don't care much for patina whether its fake or real but that truck has some obviously fake patina on it, they painted a couple of different colors of rust/primer and then based over it with the blue and sanded through it in spots and cleared the whole thing. From a distance it looks like it could be real but when you stand next to it you can tell that it is not, I love the looks of that truck but I don"t care all that much for the paint.

15. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

The chop and stance of that truck are just kick ass! :cool: Screw all you other nay sayers..

16. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Something wrong with shinny paint?

17. Special Ed

Special Ed

Boy! No shit! Thank you....:cool:

18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ok, now striping over worn out original paint, I don't get. If the paint is worn off, why would the striping still be on it. I don't mind worn original paint, but isn't that like clear over worn original paint? Ok, I'm old and a crumudgeon. At least make the striping look worn. :D BTW, the widened rear fenders on the truck are kinda a dead giveaway.

19. LMAO - no, in fact it's much better than fake patina. Everyone of my cars has shiny paint, some with real patina on them some just plain shiny.

The guy said he has a car that's bare metal, I simply said that shiny paint is better.

20. buzz37

buzz37

It's yours do what ever you damn well please. Your the one that has to look at it all the time.

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Like every fad, I liked it untill EVERYBODY started doing it.

Brian

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I hate "shinney" paint. Especially when I inadvertantly rub my shin against a freshley painted fender. I think that's what he meant.:p Or, maybe he just cain't spel vury gud.

I feel good putting that English minor from so long ago to good use these days...:rolleyes:

Brian

23. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

unless we're talking about boobs!

24. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

if you have to fake it then theres something wrong.The truck is nice ,the stance etc look good.But fake! really do we even have to discuss the stupidity in that?

25. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Bingo, I even like em shiney. :D

26. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Could not have said it better myself. If the fake old paint makes you happy then do it. If we all agreed, going to car shows would suck cause everything would look alike. I like boobs, real or fake.

27. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

I am with IceBreaker on this one......Patina faked or not that is one GOOD LOOKING truck and anyone on here would like to have it:p

28. 73super

73super

not boobs.

29. lowphat53

lowphat53
    from Virginia

Who cares what other people think? I think each car owner should DO whatever they want! If ya don't like it, keep walking... If everyone built there car to look like yours/mine what fun would that be? And just because 60 people out of 100 might say they don't like it, doesn't mean it's not cool... Fake, real, whatever, we are all adults and can do whatever we want. I always laugh when people want opinions on a style or their own personal car, because everyone is gonna say something different, who gives a crap? As long you like it, then all is well.

30. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

No thanks, I wouldn't,I'm with the shiney paint boys on this one
    Paul:p