Register now to get rid of these ads!

a new look with old style? or just cheesy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Everytime I see one of these

[​IMG]

I like it... I get whats going on with it, getting rid of the rust and making a solid vehicle but ya like the looks of the old patina.. not the new shiny paint.. even though I see a shiny clear on that truck.

What is the verdict? cool.. or not..

What makes a good old paint job?
    not a cheesy old paint job?

no wise cracks here. I would do original but im bare metal at the moment.

post some pics if ya got em

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If you found the truck JUST like that I'd run it............ for awhile. If you faked the paint..........................forget it.

Frank

3. I agree with Frank. Fake patina is worse than shiny paint.

4. Frank

Frank

ah geez, not this again...

forget about what others think and do what YOU like.

Personally, fake patina <thumbs down>

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Fake patina is the pits.....but then again, the Rolling Bones dude pride themselves on fake patina and I love their cars!

What ever you like. I would rather see fake patina any day of the week rather then a shop (whatever) logo on the side of a truck if it's not in fact a working shop truck! That my friends is over played.

Love the truck though. With the chop and the Olds headlights, that truck really is begging for some really nice paint. It's half way to a full blow custom truck so I would follow through with it!

6. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Ditto here.

7. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Shiny all the way with me... I consider Patina a poorly kept paint job, and in need of repainting or at least touch-ups/buffing. I think a buffed up original/ancient paint job is way cooler than a brand new paint job.

Sure they are only original once, I get it, but if the original looks like crap, and is beyond repair, it's not really original anymore, IMHO.

I like that specific truck, because there is no rust, although it could use some touch up where the main color is worn thru.

I vote cool.

8. rustisgold

rustisgold

do whatever you like best personally. isnt that why we mess with old cars anyway? if someone ever knocks your ride, tell them to go back to theirs-its usually a mini_van anyways!

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just checking my memory; aren't those Buick headlights?:confused:

10. fake anything usually sucks.

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The patina on that particular truck looks faked. I've seen some that were so well done, I thought they were real and only found out they weren't after being told by the owners. Real patina is cool, fake patina that is well-done is cool, fake patina that is obvious is not cool. JMO.

12. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

I wouldnt touch it....that truck needs NOTHING fake or not.

13. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Truck looks fine,,

hard to tell ,,but if its clear coated ,,well thats kinda dumb

14. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I agree with ya about that.. my problem is deciding what I want! my taste has changed in the last 3 years... when I bought it I had aspirations of Big billet wheels.. Big motor.. 6k paint job.. blah blah.. now.. thanks in part to the HAMB... I dont care for that... Since then I've wanted to do it as a tribute to my dad.. and his old shop truck (61 f100) ... which was pea green.. im not a fan of pea green.. neither was he.. but thats what he had. the 65 I bought was arcadian blue.. which is ok.. it isnt my favorite shade of blue. and I've done a lot of research on colors over the last few months.

The style of that truck I posted is what I think I want... the problem is you could paint that truck pink and it would still be cool. my truck is a 65 much like a skinny chick.. curves are few and far between. I dont know that this style would fit the truck or not... and thats really what I've been doing is learning what looks good on what. Im a graphics designer and I mildly obsess over details like that.

I gotta hurry up and decide what Im doing.. weather it be a baby blue paint( close to original.. not a big fan of that arcadian blue ).. light blue metallic with white top.. or go this route..

either way I like to learn styles.. im only 29.. that leaves alot of room for future builds. Im already dreaming about an RPU. :)

15. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Thats the way I feel.. with Kevins kids working on mine.. im still iffy about which road to take to yield the best results. Jeffs truck turned out nice. Truthfully I would just be happy to get primer on it.

I would lean more to the more subtle than the obvious patina finish.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  16. mac762

mac762

I've said it before and I'll say it again, anything fake is lame. Fake pipes, fake injection, fake spots.........Excepting the occasionally well done set of fake boobs.........

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yup sorry meant Buick not Olds.

18. somebody did that AD truck right! dropped lid and headlght treatment i usually don't care for but i'll take it!

19. sinks88

sinks88

here is some real:
    [​IMG]

20. 65fordguy

65fordguy

:cool:

21. wvenfield

wvenfield

I don't mind someone copying something. As noted though, that truck looks faked and not my thing.

22. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

:D1976 called...They want their sideburns back!:D

23. 65fordguy

65fordguy

this truck
    [​IMG]
    is about what I have in my mind... I think either patina or no patina.. this is the style I want to build. dunno about the thick white walls..though?

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think I would rather have the fake patina then real as you wont have to worry about it getting worse and rubbing off on you,I am thinking about lettering my 37 chevy p/u in a combination of what it had originally and what I decide as I dont want to advertise the original companys name.

25. Fake patina is like a fiberglass rod.Close,but no cigar. It is trying to make people think it is an old car and old paint job and it isn't truthful.I would keep the old paint if it was indeed OLD paint,but otherwise.....gimme some gloss.

26. 65fordguy

65fordguy

yeah, I've made the mistake of leaning on an old pickup that had plenty of patina and my hands and pants came off with a nice hunter green paint attached.

27. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

No wise cracks eh? Ok, just facts. Paint, any paint, is just an accessory, can be changed, but accessory Tits? Real Tits are the only way to go. :D

28. Do what you want if its yours. Wanna make real patina. Paint your car normal and then drive the shit out of it for a long while in rain, snow and sun, then you will have real patina, a.k.a fucked up and worn out paint. Or make fake patina and drive it for a long while in rain, snow, and sun and it will magically transform after time into real patina. YAHHH Father Time thanks for solving that problem.

29. 65fordguy

65fordguy

ha! ok I'll take that wise crack. good advise.

30. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

How about Krylon flat black from a rattle can? Paint job for under $50. Not fake, not fancy, functional and affordable. If I had the money right now I would do the body work to get it perfect, then paint it, but I don't have the $ so it's Krylon all the way baby...

Attached Files: