Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. '68 Hemi Darts and Barracudas had glass fenders and hoods.

The 13.5:1 '64 Max Wedges had aluminum front ends, as did the '64 Hemis.

The '65 A990 Hemi Super Stockers had fenders, hoods and bumpers made from lighter gage steel and the cars destined to be built into altered wheel base A/FX cars were acid dipped (chemically milled) to lighten them.

The '69 M-Code Road Runers and Super Bee 440 six pack cars had Glass lift off hoods, and the T/A Challengers and AAR Cudas had Glass hoods mounted to regular hinges (with softer springs).

The '70 Chrysler 300H had a fiberglass hood as well.

2. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

Pete, yeah, the old magazine format of RACEWAY NEWS was absolutely the best... There's no denying that... You're fortunate to have found and been able to purchase a sizable collection of them-- your tenacity in seeking them out definitely paid off... They definitely are a gem of Old Bridge Township Raceway Park history... And yes, Vince Mele is still the head editor of RACEWAY NEWS-- He's a terrific guy... Even though the publication is now on newsprint, I still enjoy writing for it and doing what I can to help out... I'll hafta give Vince your friendly regards... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...

3. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

This one may jog a memory or 3 out there...
    remember motorcyclist Paul Flanders, of Flanders Handlebars, Record Holding D/S '66 Biscayne???...any pics of it out there ???

4. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

I dont have any pictures but I remember Paul. I beat him in the final of a WCS points meet in Salt lake City in 1968 about a week before Indy.

5. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

More info on the Giveaway Dart here......
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3655991&postcount=1721[/QUOTE]

I believe that car was found a year or so ago. I forget the details but if I remember right it was in the LA area and was going to be restored. Its seems like I saw something about it in Mopar Collectors Guide magazine.

6. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Thanks alot for posting this picture! Feel free to most anymore that you might have !!:D

7. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

1957 150 2 door wagon I stand corrected!

8. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

way too cool ...I think it was a blue and white car...
    I'm still in awe of all the racers on this thread that I admired so much as a kid, reading about you guys in ND every week, that participate here...Thanks for the reply Gary....CB

9. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Hats off to Ron Garey for the win! That picture came from the May 68 issue of Super Stock so it was a Winternationals pic.

I wish the reason for not seeing that Dart again was because it was droppped off and put in my garage;) But, such is not the case. If Strewsberry is still around it would be interesting to ask him about it and where it might have gone. It was probably sold off and become a bracket basher of the 70s.

10. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

The Brainbeau Olds at the 67 Nationals. Cool artical! Just love the 2 page picture with all the stocker working there way to the starting line in the background.

Attached Files:

11. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

The Paul Flanders car was a 427, 4speed car. I believe it was a former Wiley Cossey car. Maybe Chuck or Tony can chime in.

12. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

I remember Cossey's '66 chevy...I think Flanders had it from @ 68-70...I recall cossey had a mopar or 2 back then too I recall...

since you mention Tony, it gives me an excuse to post a pic he may get a grin out of... good friend Ray Head's South Carolina V/SA '60 chebbie...he won a race or 3 with this car in the 80's in IHRA...one of our members A/SA '63 mopar in the background...CB

Attached Files:

13. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

Colesy,

Thank you so much for posting the Junior Stock articles! I subscribed to Car Craft back then and read every part in that series. I built my Junior Stocker by doing exactly what they said to do and it was able to run under the national record.

I look forward to reading all of them again as I did back then.

Thanks again,<O:p</O:p
    Bob<O:p</O:p

14. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

15. Dennis Holly

Dennis Holly

The magazine is Oct. 1967 SUPER STOCK and DRAG ILLUSTRATED and I'm not sure when the article in National Dragster appeared.

Attached Files:

16. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Again off topic but don't forget the Lead East show Terry puts on each Labor Day week end up in NJ.

http://leadeast.net

17. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

If your looking for old copies of Super Stock go to www.dragworldusa.com

18. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Thats a nice Bacaruda! I like the 50/50 painted wheels and That was a cool idea to paint a Dealer Sign on the car.

19. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Yes sir nice cuda!

20. markus A

markus A

Back in the day they were called "circus wheels". A fitting name since when the car was in motion it kinda looked like a spinning top.

21. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

Old Spider is still racing.....50 years............:eek:

22. 65deluxe

65deluxe

...he would be if he could get his wgn back together. His engine went south last season and its taken him longer then expected to get it back together. As long as he can drive, he says he'll be racing.:cool:

23. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

We put another motor in at the end of the season.......he will be "OK"

24. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

It took me a while but I finally got some of the Les Welch pics scanned. Anyone know who the '57 Chevy or Plymouth wagon is?
    Bob Rice

Attached Files:

25. biscaynes

biscaynes

not sure who actually owned the '57 but it was featured in the 1970 edition the complete chevrolet book. it was a high school class build project

26. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

wagon may be Wayne Dokken from Clearwater, FL

27. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

Lyle/Wayne...same difference...LOL...Thanks colesy...I do all this stuff from memory...no "cheat sheets" here...lol...CB

28. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Bob,

Thanks again for sharing these fine pix from drag racing's finest era. I especially like the "Crispy Critter" Max Wedge station wagon; just something about that 1969 440 Six Barrel Road Runner green paint, cool 1960's lettering and Cragar mags that makes it really stand out.

Regards,

Pete

29. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

And speaking of Six Barrel Road Runners, here's a famous one. Though not a Junior Stocker,
    it still was a Stocker nevertheless, during the post-Junior Stock "pure stock" (1972-74) era:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i6-YPsC_tWA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i6-YPsC_tWA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Ah, I remember it like yesterday when I first saw the Project Six Pack article in SS & DI magazine. I couldn't wait for the next installment! Ditto for all the other magazine project cars from that era.

Pete

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  30. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

As raced at the 1975 Little Guy Nationals. Note the Fenton wheels are polished.

[​IMG]