Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects gr50eg 40 chevy car to toyota truck frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GR50EG, Feb 24, 2010.

1. GR50EG

GR50EG

im new, hope i did it right
    need info
    on possible frame change
    40 chevy car to toyota truck 85-89

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

sorry man, this is a traditional hot rod and custom site.

3. I am assuming that you have the car. so that being said go down to the junkyard find a RN truck and start measuring... I don't think I have ever heard of anyone using a toyota frame.. not to say it couldn't be done but i think your going to have a hard time finding anyone who has done such a swap.

4. Wowcars

Wowcars

Whats wrong with the stock frame? Its fully boxed from the factory, it fits the body and there are plenty of options to modify the suspension. As a fellow '40 Chevy owner, please don't 'importize' her. I know of a good frame if you are in need of one.

5. 6inarow

6inarow

What he said.

You arent gaining anything except a headache with the import frame. Modify yours with the bolt ons you want and you are money and time ahead

6. GR50EG

GR50EG

who has the best bolt on
    suspension

7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Looks like you have had some experience with early bodys/late frames. Back in the 80's Tex Smith's Hot Rod Mechanix magazine featured a 40 ford coupe on a Toyota truck frame, looked like it worked prety good. I do agree that I would not replace the Chevy frame, but if you have a bad original frame, worth a look.

8. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Toyota frame is a near perfect fit. You have to stretch the wheelbase 4", and flip the torsion bar adjuster over for clearance. Then bolt the Chevy body on. You do not need to cut the floor, it fits perfectly. You will need a wider rear end, Ford Explorer is a near bolt in, the bolt pattern matches the Toyota front. Steering clears, You can use the stock column, core support clears,

The Toyota is also a fully boxed frame, and looks so much like a Chevy frame it is unbelieveable.

Besides, in it's past life it was a Chevy.

9. oldchevy

oldchevy

This truck is sitting on a 1985 two wheel drive toyota truck frame. The steering works great in its stock location. The body mounts had to moved but it still fits good.

Attached Files:

10. GR50EG

GR50EG

i new i had heard of this
    thanks

11. Wildcat Garage

Wildcat Garage
    from Marion,NC

Be careful! Toyota frames have a rust problem.Toyota is even buying some of the older trucks back that have this problem.

12. Dan57

Dan57

if the frame's solid, drill a 1/2" drain hole at the lowest point on both frame rails. They rust from the inside out because water can't drain out of the boxed frame.

13. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Keep it Chevy.

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The "rust problem" is grossly overblown in the press. The problem seems to be the rear crossmember on some models, the one that holds the spare tire and mount. The replacement of the entire frame is a PR issue as opposed to repairing the frame/crossmember.

Ray

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'll toss my hat in to this mess. IF, and only if, your floor and frame are rusted beyond reasonable repair (and I've seen lots of old Chev frames here in MI that fall into that category), I'd say it's worth a look. IF you have a Toyota setting around or can get one cheaply. It's going to be a big job, but if you're working with a car that's so rusted nobody else thinks it's worth fixing (which is what all my cars were), then it's probably going to be cheaper and easier than finding an original frame, fixing your floors, and going that route. Actually, the word "easier" probably isn't right, it should be, "...still a tremendous amount of dirty, hard, aggravating work...", because it's not going to be easy.

Brian

16. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Never can understand why people think it is easier to swap out to a completely different chassis than it is to modify the old one.
    And what do you have when you are done?
    Nothing to be proud to show off. Nothing that will have value.
    Just a fucked up old car.

17. nutajunka

nutajunka

Awwchevieota, need I say more?...:rolleyes:

18. Racewriter

Racewriter

In the early 70s, Dick Dean built a '32 5 window on a Toyota pickup frame. I have the Rod&Custom that featured it. They showed the contours of the frame side by side, and it was amazing how close the little ricer frame was to the '32.

19. This times 2

20. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

times 3......

21. x 4......

22. RickyRodder

RickyRodder

It's just a frame. Why does it matter what kind of car it came from? If it works and is safe then go for it. Some people like to make a big deal out of nothing. If it was some famous popular builder on here that already had the project in progress and showed a bunch of pictures of it looking all badass then there would be a hundred replies on here of everybody kissing their ass saying how great it was. Just do it.

23. 6inarow

6inarow

24. 73super

73super

Everybody pushes "ol school".. well back in the day you used whatever you had... I think using a Toyota frame is just as cool as anything else.
    Can't do this, don't do that.... pisses me off. Do what you want.. make it
    the way you want.. enjoy it!

25. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Just don't ask about it on this site.

26. nutajunka

nutajunka

I think your missing the point where most guys are saying no to. It's a 39 chevy coupe and this is a traditional sight. There is nothing wrong with it's stock frame, maybe he's thinking that it will be the easy way out? I don't no, but having had a 40, 46, and 2 48's chevys all with similiar frames and they all worked well it begs the question why? Maybe he should explain it to us. I yield the floor....:rolleyes:

Also here's one I like, I don't know who's it is but it is cool.

Attached Files:

27. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Yep, and the stuff that was bodged together is long gone in a land fill, while the stuff that someone took pride in building nicely are still treasured, loved, desired, coveted.

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

What are we up to, like x8? Something that throws a red flag for me is when the original poster asked about BOLT IN suspension stuff. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but if he can't weld, changing an entire frame is going to be even more of a challenge.

29. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

The stock front suspension unbolts, the new front suspensions for these cars can be made to bolt in, no need to have welding skills.