Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tri-Five Buick/Oldsmobiles 54-55-56

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Nothing wrong with tri-five Chevy's as I've had a bunch of Nomads,coupes and sedans and enjoyed them.
    But Buick and Olds came out a year earlier with the interchanging body style for the mid decade 3 year period.
    They also came out with the 4 door hardtop a year earlier. They may not be lighter than their Chevy brothers, but I've always enjoyed customizing and hot rodding them too.
    How many others are out there?

Attached Files:

2. Well Sir Woosh you have seen my 54 Buick Special. Ill post a few pics later tonight on here for you. But my brother had a 56 olds holiday 98. Hardtop four doors are cool cause of the absence of the B pillars and there crazy long. Love them things. He wants another 56 but he doesnt want a four door. Ill try and find a picture of that beast too. He sold it several years back.

3. Didnt your 2dr have flames? or does it now?

4. Super88

Super88

Here's an older photo of mine. Since this was taken the car has been repainted. Need to finish remounting trim, and solenoids for shaved doors and trunk. If anyone has pictures of how they did their trunk latch, I'd like to see them. I have a rebuilt transmission to install and still trying to decide on rims and tires.

Attached Files:

5. Super 88, Ill get you some pics. Mine is pretty simple. I have a push button under the dash and I cant remember what I used for the latch but i think it was later model lincoln. never the less I try and get you some photos. super simple set-up

6. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Cool smooth coupe Super 88. Nice job! In answer to the Stutz, question. The sedan I have IS flamed, and not...... Didn't want it to be out of circulation during cruising season last year, so I waited to strip and paint it during the off season. Just whipped the flames on one evening in the garage to see if it was something I would end up doing. Just did a quicky job with 99 cent spray bombs to get a pattern made up so the flames can go back on easier after it goes black suede. Should make it pop..............

Attached Files:

7. Rocket Girl 88

Rocket Girl 88

Got to LOVE the 4 door hardtops. Here is "Dinah", who is still in the family collection.

Attached Files:

8. Rocket Girl 88, Big fan of those. I always wanted my brother to paint his white and black.

9. That grill looks really good. what did you use there... some tubing?

10. Heres my 'Anabelle' at different times after we finished her the first time. The first few are recent after puting a new drivetrain in. couple of these I was in high school still.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  11. Rocket Girl 88

Rocket Girl 88

This is the first ad I have found showing when the Buick/Olds lines advertised for the 4 door hardtops. March 27, 1955

Attached Files:

12. Rocket Girl 88

Rocket Girl 88

Here's another.

Attached Files:

13. Rocket Girl 88

Rocket Girl 88

Last One For Now.

Attached Files:

14. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Attached Files:

15. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

heres mine, hope to have some more pics when it gets warmer out..........................john

Attached Files:

16. i like how the ads always look like chopped and lowered and even sometimes sectioned cars verses how they really turned out. I any one outside our world ever wondered why we do it, just some them those old ads and a person can say "see, thats how it should have looked." hahaha

17. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Stutz:

The tube grille you asked about on my 55 is a $10 flea market item. Just trimmed it to fit. Took the big center grille bar out and mounted the supports that hold the tubes together between the splash apron and cross fender support that holds the hood bumpers and hood latch pin. Just a matter of keeping your eyes and mind open to spot the bargains. I put a panel (left over aluminum sheet metal from another project) from that same crossbrace up to the radiator support. Eliminated the cheesy center support, tightened up the whole area, and forces the air straight through the radiator instead of billowing around under the bull nose of the hood. I know, someone will say it's not traditional, but it might have been if someone had thought of it much sooner.......

The marker lights cover the gap where the grille bar supports were.

Attached Files:

18. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

[​IMG]

my 57 special kustom

19. Man oh Man do i love the back glass on those...

20. looks fine to me. as far as the grill opening is concerned thats traditional.

21. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

I believe 57 was the only year for that back glass

22. yep it was.

23. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Here's a pic of the Dixie Dance Kings Olds from an earlier Hamb thread. Wish I could find a better one. It has a tube grille like the one I have in my 55 Olds.......

I've got a copy of the movie and will probably watch it again tonight since it was brought up.

Attached Files:

24. Hoodlum Jim

Hoodlum Jim

Heres my dads 56 Century he rebuilt. Tryin real hard to get him to put on some wide whites and Lancer caps or something similiar!!:cool:

[​IMG]

25. that thing looks great aside from the fact that the wheels are gorging themeselves on the tires. :D

26. Holy Flongoli, I have never seen or even know about this movie. That olds is the cat's pajamas.

27. RamblerClassic

RamblerClassic

My father (56oldsdarrin is his HAMB ID) has, of course, a 56 olds 2dr hardtop. and an extra one that was used as a parts car, but now, he wants to resurrect IT!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  28. 2Hep

2Hep

Here's a shot from last year when some friends helped me lift the roof off my '56 Olds 88 Holiday.

Attached Files:

29. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I'd tell you this was a parts car, but it actually got bought from the insurance company and was put back on the road. I got hit head on by a street racer. Hit the engine so hard that it cocked the rear end on the leaf springs. But most of the impact went up over the frame as you can see so it was still straight. Horn button bout knocked my teeth out. Car only had 56 thousand original miles and NO rust. Saved my life though. Had I been in one of my OT cars, might have been a different story. So I like my mid 50's Oldsmobiles for more than just looks.......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  30. elanore56

elanore56

here is my woork in progress...
    <TABLE cellPadding=6 width=750><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>west coast nat's pleasanton 2009</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallfont align=left>Edit Picture
    Add to Group
    Report Picture

Picture Added 09-05-2009 01:02 AM
    Added by elanore56 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallfont align=middle>
    Picture URL
    <INPUT class=bginput dir=ltr style="WIDTH: 400px" onfocus=this.select() readOnly size=30 value=http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=9249&pictureid=106931>
    BB Code
    <INPUT class=bginput dir=ltr style="WIDTH: 400px" onfocus=this.select() readOnly size=30 value=[​IMG]>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>