Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Swap meet 101

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Country Gent, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Here are a couple of a things you can keep in mind at a swap meet!!!:D:D He really was a nice guy at heart.

Attached Files:

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I find it works better if you do not alienate your potential buyers before they even look at your stuff.

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

I hate when things aren't priced and you have to ask only to find out they were selling gold!!!!

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Right. As a buyer, I almost always offer less, and so when I'm on the other end of it as a seller, I don't piss my pants when someone else does the same. If it's too low........just say "no".

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

WTF? It's a swap meet, not Wal Mart. If I don't like somone's offer when I'm selling at a swap, I politely turn them down or counteroffer what I'd be willing to take. Is it really that much work for him to turn down an offer? Cry me a river, pal. If I saw that sign, I'd just keep walking no matter what he had...

6. shane2290

shane2290
    from toronto

what he says !! good luck with your museum !

7. El Gordo

El Gordo

Saw this one a couple of years ago :D[​IMG]

8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Tbird; right.
    If they were giving away $100 dollar bills and free beer I might stick around.
    Other than that, I'm walkin.
    Gordo, also right.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

9. I used to do a lot of swap meets and I worked hard to price everything and make it a reasonable price at that. I got irritated with the knobs who would offer $10.00 on a $100.00 item, but I learned to just shut them down quickly and move on.

10. I don't know why so many sellers get all jacked up when someone makes an offer. It's a swap meet for Christ's sake, that's how the game is played. If you don't like the offer, tell em no thanks or make a counter offer. It really isn't that hard and certainly not worth getting your panties in a wad over.
    Some of these people act like it's life or death, get over it!

I once asked a guy how much for a Moon tank. He said $50.00, (a smokin deal). I said "take twenty?" He replied Sixty! I laughed and said "OK, here's the fiddy - well played"

11. AntiBling

AntiBling

Exactly, these people are plain jackasses cause they waste everyone's time. Example, looking at a local classified ad online for a car, looking for a new DD, email the guy asking what package the car had and if he'll be around this weekend for a test drive. He says "before wasting both our time what were you thinking for a price?"

I looked up the book price, excellent was $4300. I told him that and said I wouldn't pay more than book price for it and sent him a link to the book price.

He replied with "I was thinking more like $7200, look around the site at the other ones listed they are going for more than this."

Doesn't matter that the other ones have half the miles his does, 50K miles vs 100+K miles makes a difference, not to mention his was a base model and the others weren't.

Always price your stuff unless you're ready for any offer you get.

12. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

My space sign usually says "All reasonable offers accepted. Unreasonable offers will be considered."

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I like going to swap meets to buy and sell junk and meet friends
    not to get someone's negative attitude

14. BrandonG

BrandonG

Swap meet 101.

1. know what you are looking for and at.
    2. Know what it cost new and used (ebay or other swapmeets)
    3. Ask what he needs for it, and if you don't want it for that, Offer what it is worth to you.

{there is no reason for anyone to get mad at any of this, most sellers leave wiggle room. }

Do not start telling them why it is a piece of junk to get it cheaper.
    That is when my prices go up.

Respect their time, while talking to you, others are trying to get his attention or worse yet, robbing him blind.

Just my two cents. And yes, I would walk right past the guy with the signs. Who needs that.

15. duste01

duste01

I love swap meets

16. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

BINGO!! I buy for the best price I can get. I also sell to people at a reasonable price. It's not rocket surgery (But I do play a rocket surgeon on tv ;) )

17. 2002p51

2002p51

Best sign I ever saw at a swap meet was this:

"Your wife called. She said you can buy whatever you want!"

18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree 100%. When I run across a vendor that didn't (won't) price an item, I figure he's going to toss a price at you depending on how much he thinks you can afford.

Just for the hell of it on a couple of ocassions, I've asked "How much for this?". When I'm told, I pick up another part and repeat the process again, etc until either he gets pissed or I get bored. If he says something, I just smile and tell him if he'd mark a price on his stuff, I wouldn't have to ask.

When I'm vending, I always mark a price on every item, am polite and treat everyone with respect when dealing. A smile can go a long way.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I try to treat every seller like I've known them all my life. A good joke related to the stuff can save you lots of $$$ sometimes. A simple greeting can set the tone. If they're a dick no matter what, well I'll be one too. Sometimes even that works. Good fun and good deals, otherwise stick with fleabay or Summit.

21. Very rare here on the West Coast do I see many guys with prices on their stuff. Just doesn't seem to be the norm.

22. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

No posted prices doesn't bother me at all----what bothers me is when I'm at a large swap meet that precludes coming back to the same spot again, and the dope that's been left in charge of the parts has one answer for any question: "I dunno, he just left". They'd be better off throwing a tarp over everything until someone that actually knows something comes back.

23. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

i am with you, a swap meet is for dickering, if someone offers me a lowball price, i dont get my panties in a wad, i just say no thanks.
    I give them my lowest price and tell them its up to them. I myself make offers to sellers when i walk around. It is supposed to be fun

24. Abbott

Abbott
    from U.S.A.

Yeah, if I saw those signs I would just keep on walking to the next space.

I also prefer items and ads that have a price marked.

25. 562roadster

562roadster

That bugs the hell out of me also.

26. wish we took a pic of my buddys sign at Charlotte.....

"Girlfriends pregnant, Wife's piss, MUST SELL EVERTHING!"

The amount of laughs, and people buying...

27. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

I have been selling for over 20 years....I have prices on everything on an inventory sheet....I DO NOT put prices on every item---that way they cant change the price when I am not looking....I never go to a flea market by my self, I always have a helper, that way if im busy with one customer me helper can help some one else or talk top them till Im free....and YES it is easy to lose your temper or get pissed off at a LOW ball price....after all we are standing at one place all day and not out checking out all the other stuff for sale...stan

28. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I enjoy swap meets more and more every time I go. I do NOT enjoy rediculous prices that are so high you could buy the part new, sellers not willing to barter, people not able to answer your question about a part working the booth. Other than that, they are a blast! Actually considering starting up a quarterly one in my neck of the woods. Hot Rod had a good article in their newest mag regarding swaps.

29. playtag

playtag

This thread is pretty interesting as being on both sides of the table.Sometimes sellers have so many small items scattered it is hard to price all of it.So I have found it easier to throw out a tarp and make piles($1.00,$3.00 and $5.00) .I agree someone selling with a negative attitude tends to drive buyers away.Lets be honest we've all had that irratating buyer that comes back 3 or 4 times for a better yet better price and tire kick,walk around,and then complain after they have beat you down to a 1/3 of the asking price that your price is still to high And then tell you they're a dealer like that matters my prices are the same for everyone not for some clown making a living off of people who want to raise money to upgrade there project!

30. Rusty65

Rusty65
    from Florida

swap meet 101:
    I'm looking for a deal!!!!