Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Kliche Koupe goes KUSTOM!! -OR- The Bondo Chronicles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Feb 24, 2010.

1. well, we finally bit the bullet.
    after almost two years, we've jumped off the deep end and are now waist deep in the wacky world of Kustom heaven.

on my wife's urging, we bought this car back in late april of 08. it was a decent driver. it had all of the major stuff done... engine/trans/rear end, electrical, suspension and brakes, etc. with about 1500 miles on the car, it was strong and reliable. it looked like a solid buy for the money and i was able to stomach the cliche exterior theme knowing full well that a set of hubcaps and a little paint a little later would cure many ills.

when i asked the owner he said... there's a little bondo in it... what car doesn't have a 'little' bondo in it? hahahaha...

so this is the story of how we got from there to here.

first a pic of the car with the interior in and the first wheel treatment (spiders and double trim rings...)

[​IMG]

it was cool for a while but the right front fender was faded from i don't know what and my wife REALLY wanted to solve that but there was also an apparent bad repair at the back of the car...

[​IMG]

i knew once i got into that it was gonna go for full paint, but i was ready to dive in so i started chipping...

[​IMG]

and chipping

[​IMG]

and chipping

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
    GassersGarage likes this.
  2. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Plerase reduce image size to 800x600 or 600x480.
    I can't focus! :eek:

3. sorry...
    photobucket is not cooperating right now...
    working on it.

4. Never buy an old car without giving it the magnet test.

5. SHRUM

SHRUM

Ha, thats only half as thick as what was on my roof.

6. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

wow that bondo is life size!!! Let me know if I can help..

chappy352 likes this.
  7. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Yikes! That couldn't have been very pleasant. Do it right!

I wonder if you'll find any more... Good luck.

chappy352 likes this.
  8. Oh wow, sorry to see that, so what are your plans?....Need any help (Vintage Metal)? he he :)

9. so with this knowledge i thought it might be fun to dig a little deeper...
    and here's what i found...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it keeps going, but you get the idea...

so what do you do when you buy a bondo bucket??

KUSTOMIZE!!!!!

i dropped the car off at Ian Berkey Kustoms last night for a nice mild treatment.

we're gonna french the headlights, fill the hood properly (the hood had another 3/8" in it instead of a welded seam), shave the doors and install 54 merc tail lights.

i didn't post these pics to bash the guy i bought the car from. thats on me. but i did post them as a reference point. this car is going to be BITCHIN!!!!

10. ps..
    sorry about the IMAX pics.

i resized the pics in photobucket, but they are not reflecting the edits. i'll keep working on it.

11. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

How many pounds did you take off?

12. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

look at it this way......it's a power to weight thing. Your car will be much faster after its finished.

13. Ouch! At least you have the right attitude.

14. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Ug... I'm betting that my '52 has about the same amount of Bondo in it.

Can't wait to see more progress shots!
    - Joe

15. Jay71

Jay71

Right on Mitch! I like your plans for it and cant wait to see the finished product. What color you going with?

16. do it your self and use the bucks But I have far worse then that I think its a good for kuston ride.

17. kraka138

kraka138

oh gawd huge pictures

18. black...
    like chiny black...
    with sparkly red flames...

19. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Its bad but it looks like you have metal to work with.
    I would fix it as best you can and only put enough mud back on it to float it out level.

20. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

She's in brotha!!! Got the damn Galaxie moved and I'm ready to go!!! It's a lot scarier in the daylight!!!:eek:

I'll make proud man!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. SAH_WEET!

you might wanna put a sheet of cardboard under the trans. i think it might be leaking.

i cant wait to watch Ian work his own special brand of magic on this pig!

22. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Bummer. Ahh vvell, just think how avvesome it's gonna be after Ian gets through with it!

VVatch out, though...I hear Ian likes to chop these poor coupes. VVho in their right minds vvould do such a thing to a coupe!? Hehehe

23. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Looks like you discovered the work of a bond artisan.

24. quite the sculptor indeed.

25. Sorry to hear your bomba es muy El Bondito! :eek: Sad to say, this is kind of typical of a lot of body repairs from the land of my afterbirth (see photo of the reskinned door in my Wildcat's photo album).

You do have a lot of real-steel to work with which is a plus...

Your situation reminds me of a friend's '66 Tempest coupe back when I was in H.S in the late '60s. He brought it around to show me and I told him that both rear quarter panels were filled with Bondo. After demonstrating his entire vocabulary, which consisted entirely of expletives - directed at me, of course - he drove off.

A few weeks later, the little Poncho was backed into by another student, and guess what? A whole rear quarter panel ended up shattered on the ground! The Tempest went straight back to the dealer and was traded for a '68 Goat which was just about as bad. Some people never learn (He shoulda kept his dad's very original '60 Biscayne and dropped a decent SBC into it, but he didn't think it was cool enough.)

26. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

I dont care about the leakage too much bro, Im more vvorried about all this God damn filler!!!:eek: It's really thick!!! It's a good thing I'm not chopping it, vvas knocking on the roof and it's thick there too..... REAL THICK IN THE FRONT, AND THE SAIL PANELS!!!:eek:

I'll post the progress pics on here Mitch so you can see vvhere I'm at!!

27. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorovv im gonna lead the headlights!!!! Bought some real lead this time!!!

28. Church

Church
    from South Bay

IAN FOR PRESIDENT!!!!! Go boy, go!

29. pm5471

pm5471
    from WISCONSIN

Ifollowed this car build on chevy talk about 5 years ago. I'm sure its the same car.

pete