Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

I have a Jack Johnson driving in IMCA events mid twenties, either from Kansas City or Chicago depending on source. By 1927, he was driving a Peugeot. Same man?

2. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

A photo of Alexander Winton and his Bullet from the Aug. 15, 1903 Harpers Weekly Magazine.

Attached Files:

3. Buildy

Buildy

Anyone have any info on this car driven by Ray Harroun?

[​IMG]

Any validity to the claim on rear of the photo?

[​IMG]

4. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

I could be wrong but that maybe made by Glenn Curtiss. It has the look of one of his early light weight airplane like creations. The engine is more light weight looking than his motorcycle engine but he was an early V-8 enthusiast and it could be his creation? He also used V-8's in his airplanes and perhaps it is one of those engines. It would think that someone is going to know more about this car.

Photos of a V-8 powered motorcycle which he had operational in 1906 and I believe he set a speed record at Daytona with in 1907.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  5. Buildy

Buildy

It does have an "Aero" look to it,doesn` it. Looks very lightweight. Air- cooled.

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I dunno if it preceeds this but The Crawford Auto/Aviation Museum had the very first OHV Chevrolet V8 built in 1917. Contrary to what many believe that the first Chevy V8 was in 1955.

7. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like this V8, made out of 2 DOHC Peugot blocks on a common crank case...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

I have read about that engine before but it was a long time ago, did it ever fly or was it an experiment for WWI? It that the one that is sitting in a museum in France?

9. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

While we are on engines how about the Mercedes 1900 35 HP.

Attached Files:

10. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

This engine installed in the chassis is a 1903-05 40HP Mercedes.

Attached Files:

11. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

And one of the most famous early engines, what they called in Germany the Lighting Benz, 200HP..... 50 per cylinder.

Attached Files:

• lb.jpg
      lb.jpg
      File size:
      143.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  12. onelung

onelung
    from Adelaide

Oh dear.... as if I wasn't spending enough time on this thread!
    Hooly dooly - thanks Keith, that's a good'un alright!
    Re the CGV - what I'm interested in is just how much of it is from an original 1905 CGV race car: there's so much "cobbling together" that goes on these days, it's hard to tell what's "real" and what's not. I'd still like to hear if anyone knows the engine details .. I think it was a straight eight, but am not at all sure on that.
    I am really pleased to have found the H.A.M.B. - thanks again to all of you out there making the contributions to it:):):)

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

That looks like a test bed for the Curtiss Aero V8, that powered the http://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/museum/glenncurtiss.htmlmachine Alexander Grahan Bell helped design.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Could someone do a blowup of the front axle and spindle? Looks like a 1909 one piece spindle to me. Thanks![​IMG]

16. Buildy

Buildy

This is the best I can do.

Enlarging it doesn`t work well due to the low rez original.

[​IMG]

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sure looks like a 1909 axle to me, thanks Buildy! Front wheel hubs are smaller than later T's also.

18. farbon ciber

farbon ciber

Thanks for all the great info, I emailed my uncle who sent it to me and he didnt know anything about the car but he thinks the picture is from around 1920 or so after he got back fro the war. I am wondering if it even was a race car with the licence plate on it. Maybe just a picture of some guys goofing of and tring to waist there future grandsons time 90 years from now:D I suppose they could have had some races around mlps st paul that were not sanctioned. Thanks for all the help I still love the picture though

PS he sent anouther of the car Dad's Racer 3A.JPG

19. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

CGV started development on the straight eight in 1901 and had a functioning prototype in 1902. The following year at the Gordon Bennett race the Girardot driven CGV was powered by the new 50hp 7.1 liter S8 although i have read one report the car was fitted with the 9.852 liter {140/160mm} 40hp t-head four. The 1905 car is a S8.

Who owns the car in the photo you posted?

20. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Jetnazy the Red Devil was one of the best early racers. These photos show him and his 60HP Mercedes that he won the 1903 Gordon Bennett race with.

A very good link to a site below that tells all about the Gordon Bennett Races.

http://www.gordonbennettroute.com/breakdown.html

Attached Files:

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

having just pinched the pics from the interweb, but I believe this engine is france at Puegot. Do not know if the engine was ever used in a plane.

22. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

T-Head, thanks for the photo of the bare chassis FIAT.

Here is a FIAT 60hp before we get into a discussion about the Mercedes.

I don't know the identity of the driver but it looks to be from the U.S.

Attached Files:

23. imisotta

imisotta

Kurtis, No the ONO never made it down under. It was one of the three S-74 F.I.A.T.'s that were built for the 1911 Savanna races. We believe it was Wagners car. Teddy Tetzlaff raced and won in the car at Santa Monica in 1912. I also have the S-61 that Tetzlaff raced 1912-1914
    Regards,
    Bill

24. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Hi Bill. Thanks for your reply.

In a brief discussion we had here i remember someone mentioned it lived in Australia for a short period of time. I did some digging after this as i knew there was at one time a very famous F.I.A.T. chassis sitting in someone's barn but i found out it was from an S76 {Beast of Turin i think??} that is now being restored. I kept searching and stumbled upon another forum which gave me all of the answer's. I believe Bert Dingley drove the car after Tetzlaff. One other piece of info i'm looking for is obviously the paint. Was the car always painted as it is now or was that applied during the restoration? I'm assuming it still has the Pope engine with it?

Cheers, Ivan.

25. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

strangely, i think that both of the cars that he has, had/have pope engines in them.

were the original engines ever recovered?

26. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Kurtis...... That photos looks familiar, I think I have seen it but it was a long time ago. If my faulty memory serves me right I have a vague recollection that I may have been at an early hill climb. Best, T-H

27. I still haven't made it to the end of this thread but I feel like the stuff from our collection needs to be here. Some of you cats have probably seen em already. Good old fashioned racing!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]