Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

The hood scoop denotes an Aluminum front end for 1963 and 1964. The scoop never came on a steel front end car until the 1965 Hemi S/S cars were produced and the front ends on those cars were stamped from a thinner gauge steel after NHRA outlawed the Alum. front ends for 1965.

2. bertbrown

bertbrown
    from ca

3. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Chuck, I always thought that the high compression engine automatically got you the aluminum front when it was available but the article says they are going to ad the alloy front and scoop. I used to know all those details but I'm starting to suffer Oldtimers desease:confused: It would stand to reason that the Ramchargers would have had dibbs on one of those wagons when they were first built.

4. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Barry and Gary told me in 81 or 82 that their car was a former MarkYac car.

Remember their International "Bus/Ramp truck" ?

5. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

There's a FORD in your future...here's Bob in Jr. Stock 1969...CB

Attached Files:

6. Picture from The Arizona Nationals in Phoenix yesterday.

Three legendary Junior Stock 57 Chevy racers ,all in one place!

Bob Lambeck, Cal Method, and Ralph Van Papaghem

Photo is courtesy of Don Kennedy, who BTW , IS old enough to have a few stories written about him here.

(Sorry, but this is the biggest pic I can add here this way)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  7. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

A number of years ago I was having a conversation about headers with Chick DeNino. In his opinion "A good body man can build a set or headers."

While working for Sox & Martin, Chick said they did some experimenting on the dyno to see what effect dented and mashed primary tubes had on HP. He said they saw very little, if any, drop in HP. Sounds incorrect to me, but who am I to argue with someone who was there?

Chick's ideas back then must have been 180 deg. from Jere's.

8. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Our P/S 59 Biscayne carried a 50 lb flywheel bolted on the end of the crank shaft

9. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

On kind of the same note Doug Thorley stated in an interview a few years back that in all his dyno and track testing over the years he found that a cross over or H pipe in a dual exhaust system had little if any gain in power.

Like you said, who am I to argue with someone who was there!

10. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Does anyone have any more pictures or stories on this car? I sure like it! I see it must of been tuned on by Ted Spehar.

Attached Files:

11. 65deluxe

65deluxe

To funny. Im no expert but I guess their was a reason S&M didn't run headers by Chick. You have to wonder how those same headers would have performed in real world testing.

12. cammer427

cammer427
    from Canada

That's the J&B Automotive (Mutt Brothers) '68 Hemi SS/B Barracuda on the cover of the red issue at top-left in the first image (Ronald Lyles is mentioned in the caption below)... and I'm almost positive that's Paterson, NJ's "Fast Earl" Mitchell in his '69 Camaro on the cover of the last issue, of the second row (purple cover), in the second image...

13. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Thanks colesy! I should have kept up with this thread from day one! I know theres alot I missed.

14. bertbrown

bertbrown
    from ca

Chuck,

Part of that journey is recorded in video. Last night I was rewatching the '63 Indy Nationals on a Dragfilms DVD, and lo and behold was Ron's wagon getting runner-up! It is on a DVD labelled Volume 1-b.

Thanks for posting your memories! They are greatly appreciated by all.

15. very cool I got to see if i could dig a few of my old RP news up.....Thanks!

16. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Yep, you're right on both counts.

Pete

17. Yes ,I did build that car originally, but not during the Jr Stock era, but rather ,in 1977.
    It was given to me by my lettering guy, figuring I'd make good use of it, which I did .
    Three time R/S record holder and Divisional event winner.
    I sold it to Frank and converted it to an automatic for him.
    He sold it to Parker Bros.
    The Morehead family from NY , had it for a while too.
    Somehow it ended up in Pa, where the owner enlisted Big Bucks Bob Mullaney to drive it, to a couple of divisional wins and the Div 1 championship in the late 90's.
    It's still around and available, I think.

[​IMG]

18. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

I met Bob Johnson about 25 years ago when I was selling Chevys and he was still selling at Scuncio Chevrolet in Rhode Island. I didn't know how involve he was in drag racing or else I would have asked him about thise days.

Another opportunity wasted (like when I could have met Dave Strickler in 1973)!

19. bibs396

bibs396
    from mass

If you want information go to those that know. So here I am. hope you guys can help. I own a 66 Chevelle conv. and I have many books etc. Just not enough info.. I am researching its history and so far I'm at a person named Don Baldelli who raced it at New England Dragway not sure
    what year. The class winner stickers on the car are yellow & some are white(clear). Joe from ned said that those stickers should tell what years it could have raced. Obviously before they stoped conv. with out roll bars from racing. There are still tow bars on the front of the car. the car could have been Teal or Black. It looks so far that I am the sixth owner if Don is the original owner. I believed he lived in either Southboro Mass. or Ashland Mass. If any one might have any knowledge,info., pictures, whereabouts etc.
    of this person or car it would be very much appreciated THANKS BIBS396

20. Dennis Holly

Dennis Holly

Here's more on Doug Kahl

Attached Files:

21. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Thanks Dennis! Could you please tell me what issue of National Dragster that is and also what magazine has that article? I see the magazine is October of 67.

Thanks again!

22. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

It was really nice to see that incredible collection of vintage issues of RACEWAY NEWS (the official publication of Old Bridge Township Raceway Park)... Wow!!... Very cool... I simply adore the old "book" version... I recognized some of the cars and drivers pictured on the covers-- "Dandy" Dick Landy, Al Hanna's Eastern Raider F/C, Maskin & Kanners Hornet P/S, Paul Blevins, Briggs Chevrolet Chevelle, Brutus F/C, Shirley Muldowney... Yeah, that's quite an impressive collection... I currently write for RACEWAY NEWS, I've been writing for the E'Town based publication for several years now... I believe it's important that publications like RACEWAY NEWS exist... I always appreciate seeing independent "localized" and "regional" racing publications... One of my all time favorites was a magazine called QUARTERMILE COUNTDOWN-- it was a 'zine that covered the racing scene from some midwestern drag strips back in the 1970's... Thanks for sharing the RACEWAY NEWS covers-- I really enjoyed seeing them here... Thanks again... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...

23. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Some cars just "Look Right" And I think this qualifies as one!

Attached Files:

24. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Yes Diana, the old "book" or magazine version was the BEST. Last year for it was 1976; the following year they switched to the (blah!) newspaper format. Also, the general 'flavor' of the paper changed as well (and not for the better). By early 1975, those issues were being printed on the cheaper, thinner newspaper-type stock vs. the better quality paper of the earlier issues. Also, sponsors' ads filled up more of the pages and the pix of cars got fewer and smaller in size. So the best issues were the 1974 and earlier....especially 1972 on down.

The very first swap meet I attended at Raceway Park (actually the second) in the Spring of 1982, me and a buddy of mine stopped by a vendor/racer (Al McDonald) we knew to talk for a few. One of the first things I noticed was a big box full of those coveted early issues of R.N. next to all his Mopar parts for sale. Quickly, I asked Al how much he wanted for 'em! He said they were not for sale...he just bought them from another vendor for $40.00! :( They were all the issues from 1970-75! Al wouldn't change his mind even after I offered him twice what he paid for 'em.

I bugged Al for years about selling those Raceway News issues but he never changed his mind. :(

I searched high and low during subsequent Spring and Fall swap meets at Englishtown (as well as other sources) and was only able to score a little over a hundred issues. We're talking about fifteen years or so of searching! Those gems are a real tough find...

Speaking of writing for the Raceway News, is Vince Mele still there? FYI, I used to work at Raceway Park full-time during the 1992-96 years and he was the longtime (and original) editor of the paper.

Regards,

Pete

P.S. Tell 'em Pete aka Mr. Half Scale (Dragsters) sez hi!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  25. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

One of my friends showed me an Englishtown paper recently he has from 1970. He won his class in a modified production car (cups).....and me and my partner won Stock eliminator.

I guess E-Town also ran Cups and Bucks but I did not recall that they did back then.....The paper listed all the class winners and the eliminator winners seperately. Didn't look like the class winners ran the eliminators.
    Island Dragway ran it that way in the earlier years.....

26. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

anybody have any pics of Joe Allreads 57 (the ultimate JR> STOCKER) 210 wagon other then the Car Craft articles?

27. youngmopar

youngmopar

i know im getting a little out of the junior stock stuff maybe but you other mopar guys out there maybe you can help me out alittle. were there factory hemi cars with fiberglass front ends? have a set of fenders and hood for a 65 plymouth with mopar parts on them let me know if any info is out there on these

28. stinsonart

stinsonart

29. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

150 not a 210

30. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Thanks for the pic!! This Shrewsberry car was Ron Garey's "victim" in the trophy run of E/S at 68 Winternationals. It looks as though this pic may be from that race? A copy if it is going into my photo file!!! I never saw the car again after that day. The Chrysler camp was quite embarrassed at "losing" to that little Olds that weekend. Story goes that they had huge plans for campaigning this car that year but as far as i can recall, we never saw it again. the next year the did that "Swinger" give-a-way car promotion? Anyone ever know who won the thing?
    Anyway thanks for the pic --- sure would have liked that pic to have been with Garey's car in the other lane!!!