Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trany Snake Oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by <FANG>, Feb 22, 2010.

1. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

Trany won't shift out of first
    been sitting awhile
    any suggestions

slick 50 work ??

2. roddinron

roddinron

Well, at least you didn't bore us with a lot of details.:rolleyes:

3. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

what kinda trany is it?

4. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

c4 out of a 78 mustang
    Currently in my 52 willys behind a 302

5. Soviet

Soviet

I've had good luck with Seafoam.

6. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

I assume its available at pep boys or kragen I&#8217;ll give it a try

7. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

you probably don't want to hear this or don't believe me! get rollin 25/30 mph slam it in park "it won't go in" let it grind for about 5/10 seconds pull it back in drive it will shake the governor loose and it should shift "the governor is mounted on the tail shaft! i've done it many times.

8. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

O.K.
    gona try Trans X first
    then the 25/30 mph slam

9. speedster93b

speedster93b

what!?!? ha ha 25-30 park slam? ha ha

10. We used to do the 25mph park slam on Ford Mavericks and Comets my brother used to drive as we were growing up.....but we'd let them grind till they finally did lock up.....:D

Never broke one of those C4's.

11. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

thats how chevy guys work on fords haha!! no shit it realy works and trans x is good shit! put it in then go slam it! good luck.

12. Joe King

Joe King

bring your video camera when you do

13. Muttley

Muttley

Also known as the "rental car shuffle".

14. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i once pulled the pan on a tranny at the junkyard i worked at, and the pan was full of sawdust.

No wonder it didnt shift!

Have you tried a big hammer?

15. duste01

duste01

No kidding, I want to see that!

16. ground pounder

ground pounder
    from ontario

gasser 60 is right but it isn't park it's reverse u put it in or u can just pull the governor clean it put back in it just stuck.....or there debree in the vavle body cause'n it to hang up...........the reverse thing does work in a pinch..

17. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Ditto, the same schtuff, only cheaper, a pint is a lot though. I'd pour less.
    Oh, I want to see that video too.....

18. I like seafoam haven't tryied in in a tranny.

A good fix might be to drop the valve body and give it a good soaking/cleaning.

19. blue57ford

blue57ford

Check to see if you have vacuum at the modulator. Also see if your kick down cable is not stuck. Have you tried it manually? If you can get a manual 1-2 shift, then it's your governor. If you don't, then you have a stuck valve in your valve body. If it's your governor, and your car is on the ground, rev it up to about 1500 rpms with your foot on the brake and in drive. Then put in reverse, wait for the apply then back in drive. Do it several times and always keep your foot on the brake. If your car is jacked up, get it up to about 20 mph then put it in reverse then back in drive. Do it several times never letting off the gas. Hope this helps.

20. me too ! thats crazy stuff! had an old dodge trans, slipping badly, put seafoam in and it drove and shifted perfectly till I sold it.

21. Scott

Scott

you may have a simple vacuum leak, check the hose from the transmission to the carb

22. rdemilt

rdemilt
    from so florida

I had to laugh when I read this as I was going to post the same message, I just figured everyone would think I was some nut that slipped a gear. I had the same problem one time and a friend that built trannys for a ford dealership told me to try this same suggestion. If its a mechanical issue like a stuck governer this will sure knock it free. If its a leaking seal or internal issue, Guess what you'll be doing next.

23. rdemilt

rdemilt
    from so florida

When I was a kid I purchased a used Mark IV ( C6 - 460 ) for the motor but being a kid my friends and I would drive this thing down the road at 60 mph and stick it in reverse, the momentum of the car going forward and the tires turning backwards really made a cool smoke show. as soon as the car slowed and started going in reverse, back in drive and did it all over. we did this again and again and again. Nothing ever broke. I eventually took the motor out when we ran out of tires and the fun ended. The trick was to leave your foot planted firmly to the floor and not let it up.

24. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

I was told never use more than 1.5 ounces. Doesnt sound like much but the guy that told me about it said he only uses one ounce.

25. fef100

fef100

I've used brake fluid on c-4's that wouldn't go into gear when cold, it does work. Use a bit at a time till it works, only on a trans you are trying to nurse through for a bit.

Don't know if it will work for a no shift.

26. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

i have slipped lots of gears worked at a trans shop for 7 years when they set on the shelf they seem to stick now and again! and the governor isn't as easy to pull like a gm! when you have a bad 2/3 shift slam it from reverse to drive it will unstick that too! i thought it was crazy as hell the first time i saw it!

27. lucas stop slip
    the shit works

28. Agreed that Lucas Stop Slip is great, but maybe only if your trans is slipping. Here I think we have a gummed-up, stuck governor problem. I like B12 Chemtool for this. Pour the whole pint in and try to drive. If or when problem is fixed, drain fluid and fill with clean ATF.