Register now to get rid of these ads!

henry J gasser project racecar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragrcr50, Feb 14, 2010.

1. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

its mild steel dom, 134 wall 1/58 for the most part some is 1 1/4 as allowed on some bars. and is mig welded as per nhra...

2. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

jd squared 3 older but still works great, has done many many cages...

3. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

today was attaching the body to the frame in the rear, framing a divider for the inside at back, helment bars so helment cant go through them. and final brackets tomt seat properly. looks like a swing out bar is in my future, it is a bitch for me to get in and out ..(old an fat,hehe) here it is stay tuned something every day or so happining on this deal...

Attached Files:

4. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

looking great!!!!!are you doing all the work yourself or are acauple of friends comming over once and a while?

5. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

usually do something every eve after we quit working in the shop and then a few friends help on wekends with me... :cool:

6. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Starting mine in a month or two. I have taken on some 4x4 axle swaps and some custom 4-link, coilover Solid Axle swaps on some buddies rockcrawlers and after I get their Junk outta the way, Mine is NEXT!

I also have a JD2 Model 3 with the Air/Hydro setup and it really does a great job for tubework.

I am building mine along similar thoughts, I want it to be a car I can run at Nostalga Run's, HAMB Drags and so on, but still be safe and have the 7.50 cert. I am going 1 5/8" 4130 all round tube, double framerail with straight axle, 4 bar and coils up front. Ladders & coils in the rear. The front portion of my frame will look like most Altered Chassis or a nostalga Funny Car - Just to be Different and because I can. I am not really after real low numbers right now, but I want the car capable of producing fast times as well as have some resale value with the Chromo sticks. Mine will be Tig Welded fully, again just because I have one collecting dust.

I plan on going with ET III rears in 16x10 and Torq Thrust Spindlemnts in 15X3.5 and going with around a 10.5x31/32" tire. I am not cutting the rear quarters at this time, but have considered it. Mine are just too damned good to cut. I don't have any glass parts as of yet and still trying to decide what to do. I want to stretch the front out 4 or so because I don't want to alter the dash. I do like how yours trimmed up though, so I might get magical with the sawzall.

Power will be a Chrysler 392 and eventually will get a blower and 4-port.

Looking at your Car, mine could be its twin. :cool: It has the same "paintjob" currently as well. :D I'll get some pics and a build thread going. I am also going to do some wicked stuff to make that old J look a little cuter, like pinching the rear quarter bottoms to splay the fins like an old gangsta cartoon car. It will get rid of the saggy butt look of inherent of HJ's from the rear. Keep the build pics comin, hope to lay eyes on this car soon.

7. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Aside from enjoying this J build ...... I can hardly wait to see yours 51 Hemi J ....

PACO

8. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

sounds good so far. My doors and fenders went to mo. as they were rust free and nice. my quarters are primo no dents no rust at all, im cutting them though , i just like the look and like being able to get the tires off easy. Hooleys isnt cut and it seems lower than it really is i think because of that. his is stretched 4 inches as is his frt wheel wells. mine is 1 1.2 inches forward. gonna be fun , we will have three racing with us this year. cant wait. just wish it was done ....Im ready to go fast..

9. Rusty

Rusty

what size front tires you gonna run

10. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

rusty, i have torque thrust d's 15x4's with 165x15 tires same as I ran on the the chevy two

11. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Good benders! I Use a JD2 Model 32 Hydraulic. I love it.

12. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

mine is still manual.. getting ready to go with the air over hyd next month after all these yrs...do you have any of the square dies for yours yet, chuckles?:cool:

13. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

A cheaper alternative is to go with a HF 8 Ton Air/Hydro Ram similar to this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is not my setup, but its one for sale over on Pirate4x4 and I've seen many in operation. I actually have the Enerpac Ram and Pump that JD2 sells, but I would guess the above would work every bit as good. The HF Ram in pics above is only about $89 and you could build the bracket just by eyeing the pic above and using your newly purchased ram as a guide. Just junk your manual ratchet.

14. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

thanks, might look inoto this, the one at JD is pricey at best...

15. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

after work today i got both diagonals done for the the two lower outer sills. and my m/c brake pedal assy mts fabbed and welded in ... evry day , gotta grind away at the list til its a hot rod .... also a pic behind seat area (lots of bars) hehe:cool:

Attached Files:

16. Dirty2

Dirty2

Looking good !

17. Rusty

Rusty

what brand front tires you running? that sucker looking faster and faster

18. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

rusty they are bf goodrich street tires.... i have had good luck with mt/hoosier and m&h front tires on the past cars... i might go with a mt or m&h on this one after i get it ironed out... but ihave the ones i took off of the nova still mounted and will use them for now here is a pic of it with them on it. i have 31x10.5w x15 mt rears this time...

Attached Files:

19. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Whats the plans for the rockers? Mine are also gone and I like how you are installing a tube "inside" - might have to steal that idea. ;)

I have a factory rocker in decent shape if you need a profile or need to borrow it for a copy.

20. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Once again amazing work!

21. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

the rockers are on ebya for 69 bucks a pair and you just install them over the tubing and fasten flooring to them

22. That is gonna be so cool!!!

23. abone1930

abone1930

Awesome lookin Henry J :D A kinda buddy has one he keeps hacking up sittting in the weeds, Keeps telling me I am gonna fix it.:rolleyes: Sure which he would sell it to me. :)

24. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

It's coming along nicely. Thanks for keeping us updated.

25. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

today i got seat belt mounts made and welded in, my battery box mounts made and welded in pass floor (j has no trunck. so i have to use a sealed enclosed box. done, and my collectors and turn outs cut down and put together so i can locate them and start my headers construction. ......................stay tunedll and thanks for the good feedback on it.

26. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

saturday and we got the shifter mount made and pinned in , the steering column put together and mounts made and welded in for it. the cage mount wiring box mounted to a new diagonal bar in roof i put in today. and the biggest deal the swing out bar on drivers door. now I can get my big ass in it.... ill mt radiator, moon tank and start header construction sunday stay tuned...

Attached Files:

27. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

today sunday we got the radiator mounts made and in and the bumper as per nhra for the moon tank and got it mounted as well. the list is getting smaller, thats a good thing for sure....

Attached Files:

28. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

man, you kickin ass!....looks good...

29. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

thanks man, april 1st is creeping up on me, ......................:eek:

30. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

well 6 hours today netted catman and I , one set of headers for the J, 2 inch all fabbed and tacked . ready to finish weld this week. im happy ............... however still no fiberglass parts rod n race is 3 weeks late on my stuff............

Attached Files: