Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powdercoated rims..Mistake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frankie47, Jul 31, 2009.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that the powdercoat would chip -- it's very tough -- but the pinstriper told me that the striping would chip off when applied to powdercoat.

2. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

Powdercoating is professionaly removed by using a sandblaster. There are a ton of colors available. Powdercoating is a lot tougher than paint.

3. The booms and forklift cages I fab are powdercoated, and you can dimple the tubing after powdercoating with a number / letter stamp and the stuff doesn't chip. Pretty durable and I've used the same number stamps on other weldments that I rattle can and if I don't stamp the pieces before rattlecanning, the stuff chips right off.

My biggest issue with powdercoating is scheduling the day of the color. Places here in KC usually run certain colors certain days and it cost an arm and a leg more if you want black on a day they are doing grey.....but if you schedule and drop the stuff off so it's ready the day they are doing "Your" color...then it's considerably cheaper.

Carl Hagan

4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

ok now that we are on the subject of powder coating,buddy of mine had his never installed intake coated silver.had a small anitfreez leak and it stained the heck out of it.then had to take gas line loose,man it ruined that puppy.is this common. i thought p/c held up to any and all. so its strong but will not stand up to chemicals right?

5. it should have been powdered with a high gloss fuel resistant clear, dupont sells a powder called "Diamond Dust" , its fuel resistant and wet glossy and on a silver or powdered chrome, always have to use a sealer or as you know, it will turn to ass in a blink.

6. hogridenfool

hogridenfool
    from chicago

there is a differance in powder coating ,the drylac is used by most powder coater's that isn't uv friendly it will fade, but talk to the guy's at advanced enameling in chicago, I was just turned on to them by a friend who uses them to powder coat fences, the owner explained the differance in powder coating to me they just did a few motorcycle frame's for me realy nice work check out there web site they could powder coat a 40 ft trailer in one of there booth's check them out and call them

7. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

my wheels are PCed and I don't regret it

8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

thanks ,i'll pass that along to him .

9. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I had a 1969 honda trail bike powdercoated around 20 years ago has been sitting outside since then still looks good

10. I have had tons of parts powder coated, and no regrets. I plan on powder coating the chassis when all is finished. I have had to strip some powder coating on another ride, and it is a bitch. If you plan on chroming some parts later, I would recommend painting those parts, and powder coat the rest. Here is the wheels that I just had done, they turned out really nice and are very durable.
    [​IMG]

11. GasserDave

GasserDave
    from Sin City

Everything chips, everything fades and everything ages. Powder coat just takes longer and resists is longer and its got better defenses against heat and brake fluid....