Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The History Of Los Angeles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Marty Hollmann's '15 T-Bucket motoring down the boulevard in early 60s.
    Mazooma, you probably have before and after pics of the intersection.
    [​IMG]

2. Here's a film, circa 1940, of what's been determined (on the Racing History Yahoo forum) to be Southern Speedway, sometimes known as Southern Ascot. It wasn't a very pretty track.

Midgets on the half-mile. Ed Haddad is the smiling guy with the big nose. Swede Lindskog (from Seattle) in the no. 7. Roy Russing goes off on the back stretch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCTItY3jmOI

3. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Cool photo.

4. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

That horse was probably thinking, "I told you idiots that cars weren't going to be as reliable as horses but OH NO, you wouldn't listen to me!"

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

the building that created racing giants and legends..the Harry Miller complex, responsible for many Indianapolis winners

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Roberts Bros. Drive In 1939 at Wilshire and Vermont.

Attached Files:

7. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Clay Smith, one of many Angelenos responsible for horsepower

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Ascot Park..Gardena

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Speedway 605 was on the east side of the 605 Freeway in Baldwin Park/Irwindale...

[​IMG]

and Gardena (Western) Speedway was north of Ascot Park about a mile

[​IMG]

10. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Traffic jam 1948 Pasadena Fwy ( original name Arroyo Seco Parkway)

Attached Files:

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

While Los Angeles has had many personaities over the years that were pretty handy as a bodyman and painter, few would stand-out so long as Dean Jeffries. Dean's shop in the Cahuenga Pass, just north of the Hollywood Bowl, was a landmark for many decades, especially as the huge machine from "Damn Nation Alley" was parked outside for at least 20 years..

[​IMG]

Dean has owned this super, super-rare GT40 roadster since, well, since they were new.
    It's the only one of four ever made that is left. Dean has turned down an offer of $5,000,000 to buy it.

[​IMG]

Anyone who wants a good read about an amazing talent who's still got a few tricks up his sleeve, this is a "must read"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  12. 296ardun

296ardun

yes, I remember it well...was on Los Robles or somewhere downtown Pasadena before it moved to Rosemead...when it did I had no place to go to get my bike fixed, so got some wrenches and learned myself....suspect that many of us got into hot rodding that way.......anyway, please keep the history coming, really enjoying it!!

13. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Well I just spent most of the day enjoying this thread, lived in El,Segundo in the 40ths, then to Merced in the 50th's and then to Monrovia, Arcadia area in the 60th's. It was a great memory trip for me. Thanks for the great day away from looking at the tube and the stupid racing today.

14. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Early traditional 3 wheeler...1912

Attached Files:

15. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

I finally made it to the end.... just spent the last 3 hours taking in the great pictures. Thanks for posting.... the Before & after pictures especially. I love this old Historical stuff.

16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff !

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic old film. I guess "Southern Ascot" is the same as the old Ascot Park ? This old film is an asphalt track, and the old Ascot Park shots are dirt. Doug?

[​IMG]
    Race drivers in goggles and dust jackets wait for the starting gun at Ascot Speedway. Ralph Hamlin is driving the Franklin Model H; "Greyhound<WBR>" is printed on its hood. Original photo caption in Los Angeles Times reads: "Waiting for the starting gun in the twenty-fou<WBR>r hour race at Ascot Park yesterday afternoon. In the trying day-and-ni<WBR>ght automobile grind. 1908

[​IMG]
    Panoramic view of old Ascot Park in the south part of the city

Posted this before, but here's another Ascot Park shot:
    [​IMG]
    A.J. Foyt, steering his midget car at Gardena's Ascot Park. The half-mile oval opened in 1957 on a 37-acre dump site, but it soon became the busiest dirt track in the nation (and a training ground for many Indianapol<WBR>is 500 drivers). Every type of motorized vehicle--f<WBR>rom motorcycle<WBR>s to ATV three-whee<WBR>lers to destructio<WBR>n derbies--r<WBR>aced at Ascot before it closed in 1990. Photo dated: December 4, 1961

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

That second photo, above is not the Ascot that many of us went to...
    There were several Ascots over the years. There were two south of downtown L.A. and one to the east of downtown which was Legion Ascot, just east of where County Hospital is...just east of Soto and north of Valley.
    I'll try to make it more clear later today when I can find the maps.

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's more "Ascot" shots, asphalt track. Mazooma showed this "Eliminator" pic in post #447 p. 23.

[​IMG]
    The "Eliminato<WBR>r" thundering through a group of 500 cc. Formula III cars.

[​IMG]
    Duffy Livingston<WBR>'s "Eliminato<WBR>r" at Ascot

[​IMG]
    Eric Hauser takes a long walk back to the pits after the "Balchowsk<WBR>y Special" broke. Ascot

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I believe those are at Paramount Ranch. Duffy's T was raced in the 50's long after Legion Ascot was closed. Thats off of the Ventura Freeway.
    See post #314

21. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

If you want a wonderful photo history of Chavez Ravine, get the book "Chavez Ravine 1949, A Los Angeles Story." Amazon has it. Your heart will sink at how neat a place it was before the residents were pushed out for the coming Dodger Stadium.

22. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

They had just removed the streetcar tracks from the median in an effort to get everyone into cars (and buying gas, tires, oil, etc.). Looks like it worked.

23. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

There's that "Rocket Muff" car again!

24. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Wilshire Bl. 1937, Unique to Wilshire Bl., the street lights are still there. Looks a little smoggy even then.

Attached Files:

25. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

smog was far worse in the 50's than today

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Rex Mays in a midget car at Ascot Park Speedway, circa 1935

27. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

It's so easy to detect a carbureted vehicle today by the smell of unburned gas. I can smell that, look up ahead, and see a '70s Chevy van or an old pickup and know exactly where the small is coming from. Today, with almost everything having computer-controlled fuel injection and efficient emission controls the air is cleaner.

Remember "Smog Alert" days? I remember them in the SF Bay Area in the late '60s and early '70s. I'd be out at recess in grade school and the sky over the bay was brown. The sun would be out but the sky was brown. TV and radio newscasters never said it was "smog," they always said it was "hazy."

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Engineers Jake Rupe and Harry Cotrill examining hydrogen engine for automobile<WBR>s at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., 1973

[​IMG]
    Lynwood, Calif., 1972 :(

29. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

That Legion Ascot above...they would use those hills and a road coursre occasionally for use with the midgets

30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I need to pay closer attention in the future. :)