Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clipping 58 - 60ish F100s . . . Camaro?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Jones, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Just Jones

Just Jones

So I'm thinking about buying a buddies '60 short box F100. It is a stocker, except he dropped in a 327/TH 350 a while back. Runs great, now it needs to drive and stop great - and get dropped.

So I've searched, read, googled, and so on, and still am not sure what I want to do here.
    Thought about the following, but here are the questions I can't seem to find anwers to. Maybe some of you guys know and will chime in? I need to keep this as inexpensive but as safe and drivable as possible. I am thinking about a $500 budget here to drop the front.

Camaro clip - What I would like to do. I keep hearing about people planning on doing this or wanting to do it as the track is so close, but do the frame rails match up at all? Anyone know? Anyone actually done it? I've only seen one, but it had a '69 clip and obviously there aren't a bunch of those around.

Volare Clip - sounds like a strong contender, but parts getting a bit tough to find.

Flipped front axle: Stock ride quality and gets it low - and its cheap! But doesn't this hang a bunch of suspension parts below the scrub line?

Dropped axle - maybe same as above? Maybe not enough drop (no interest in mono springs - those suckers are dangerous)

Skip things like mustang II, FatMan and anything else that is going to run $1000.

Thanks for any info you can provide - Speed

2. Clutched

Clutched

I have a 64 short box with a 1985 suburban front clip. power steering power brakes. same small block and turbo 350 out of the truck. had to make room on the firewall for distributor. sits level in front with a flipped rear axle. rides like a 1985 suburban. another option....good luck. Alot of guys use crown vic clip too i think.

3. metalshapes

metalshapes

I put a Camaro Clip in my '60.

I trimmed the outsides of the ends so the clip would slide inside the truck rails.
    And I lined up the lower part of the clip ( the horizontal part that normally bolts up under the Camaro ) with the inside lower edge of the frame.

Clip 001 s .jpg

If I would do one again, I'd probably space it away an Inch or maybe even two.
    ( I still need to be able to drive on a dirt road... )

i'm also using big block springs, which didnt affect the rideheight but they did help with the tires rubbing on the inner fenders, when going through a big dip.

Also, if its that low, the front wheel offset gets pretty critical.
    To much, and it will rub on full lock...

And I took plenty of measurements to make sure it was square, straight, centered, had the right caster, and I welded it with strengthening plates over the joint, etc...

4. Swifster

Swifster

You can buy a DIY weld up MII crossmember without the control arms. You can get the control arms from the salvage yard off of a... Mustang II. Just like a Camaro clip, rebuild the MII control arms (bushings & ball joints) and you're ready to go. Steering racks are as close as your NAPA store. Sure beats cutting up a perfectly good frame.

5. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Flip the axles to the top of the leaf springs and do a disc brake conversion kit from Speedway. DONE, and for way under 500 lowered all the way around with a disc brake front. If your a hardcore hot rodder this is the only way to go. IFS is GAY:eek:!

6. Just Jones

Just Jones

Yeah, ok, but with putting all questions about the sexual orientation or masculinity of my truck's front suspension aside, my big concern with flipping the front is whether or not doing that drops suspension components below the scrub line.

I am more concerned with a well engineered, functioning, usable and safe yet affordable front suspension than whether or not it is cool. This truck is going to see lots of miles, and my kids and wife are going to be riding in it a lot.

'Nuff said. So - LOTS of you HAMBers have done front flips . . . what was your experience?

7. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

If you run bigger rims that increases your scrub line... Ever see an effie tuck 30's?......

I'd go with a weld in MII, that's what I was going to do on my '60 until I turned her into soup cans... Just like someone metioned you can do a MII for cheap, just buy one with out control arms, and buy them from the local parts house or salvage yard..

8. jfrolka

jfrolka

pm me if u go the camaro clip route, got an extra

9. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

jaguar xj6 or xjs 78-87 front clip. no frame cutting, cheap just need to make a few tabs and it becomes a bolt in. better brakes and rack steering that works with a sbc pump.

10. Just Jones

Just Jones

11. Rellim51

Rellim51
    from West TN

I went with a 4" drop axle and I can tell you from experience, it will be cheaper to put a MII in it.

12. just wish it lower.

13. Just Jones

Just Jones

Lots of good info, but still wondering about how well the front axle flip works. I remember reading on one guys post after he did it that it drove great (after altering the steering box location), but even though several guys asked the same question I have - does it drop anything below the scrub line - no answers on that one, and that is a deal breaker for me.

Anyone? Anyone? I want to figure this one out before buying the truck or I'd just go out and measure the damn thing.

14. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

yes your scrub line goes to shit with the axel flip serch the crow vic swap

15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I think you should take a good look at Slag Kustoms idea. Jag stuff. Go to www.ford-trucks.com and look at the 48-60 forum, especially the supsension thread at the top. If you can't find it, pm me. Joe

16. choke

choke

67-72 A body GM front clip. It slips inside of stock frame. Just box it with formed channel same dimension as stock frame. You end up with all lap welds holding the clip on. Can't get much stronger than that. You also get disc brakes, quick ratio power steering and a heavy duty anti-roll bar if you use one out of a 70-75 Trans Am. Now you have a front suspension that's able handle the weight of the vehicle. I never understood why they started using Mustang II front ends on trucks. To light. Did my first F-100 frame clip in 1974 and it's still going strong to this day!!!!

17. Just Jones

Just Jones

Seriously? I've never had any experiences with Mustang II conversions, but I've done plenty of dropped axles.

It really costs that much to do a f100 with a dropped axle? Is it because you have to have the axle custom dropped?

18. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Sid at droppedaxles.com out of Oklahoma will do yours for $300 and then all you need are some tie rod drops if memory serves me correctly.

19. Vendome

Vendome

Rellim has got it right. I did the four inch axle, then reversed spring eye, heated steering arm to keep drag link level, and on and on. For all the messin' around I could have had discs, power steering, a sway bar, better handling and (gasp!) bags in the future if I so chose to. Tried the flip to but it just doesn't seem right IMO. More junk hanging down to snag something. Good luck with your decision!!

20. Rellim51

Rellim51
    from West TN

Some people are OK with JUST putting the drop axle in a 50 year old truck and calling it a day but I can't put worn out or questionable parts back on the truck. Here's a list of what was involved in dropping my front end.
    4" Drop axle from Sid
    Solid 7/8" tie rod
    HD tie rod ends
    2" tie rod drops
    new spring bushings/bolts
    new spring bolts
    new wheel cylinders,shoes, hardware
    new brake hoses
    new wheel bearings/seals
    new drag link
    new gaskets and bushing kit for steering box
    tubular engine crossmember
    new shocks

These are all parts that would be replaced or not needed with a MII set-up. I don't have the prices in front of me now but I've added it up before and it is as much or more than the $1300 Ebay MII kits.

21. Just Jones

Just Jones

Good point.

Now that I think about it, the front end parts I put in my '40 Ford pickup where some of my largest investments in the truck - I think I spent about $1200 there, or more, and it is a traditional dropped axle.

22. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! Your best choice is still the Mus II, it costs more, is easier to do, and will help the resale value of the truck but even with buying a cheap universal crossmember and scrounging parts it will take at least a grand to do the job, if you want to stay all ford the Lincoln Town Car/LTD is the same track width as the Camero/Nova but you need to decide if you have the tools and talent to do the job right. I am using the entire drive train from a Town Car on my truck as the frame had been butchered by the previous owner, am also using the 8.8 rear keeps the front/rear bolt patterns the same, Good Luck, Mike.

23. Just Jones

Just Jones

I'm curious why, if you used a Lincoln Town Car front clip you feel going with a M II set up would be better? I would have thought the heavier suspension and brake components of the Lincoln would be superior.

Is it because you don't have to clip the frame when you go with M II?

24. chaddilac

chaddilac

I talked to the builder of this truck to get some info on the frontend for my 59, he used a late 70s camaro front clip, said it was a little too wide and had to widen the front fenders 1". The truck set perfect, but I think I'll raise mine 1" for a little more ground clearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Just Jones

Just Jones

26. Just Jones

Just Jones

anybody out there have a Crown Vic clip under their F100? Lets see some pix!!