Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing honeydew from paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chebby belair, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

I'll start out by admitting its an O/T car (my daughters). The horizontal surfaces of the car are covered in thousands of pin head size bits of bug crap. Prolly about 50 - 100 to the square foot. The paint is new, the car is a little over a year old.

I have tried Meguires bug and sap remover - nada

I have tried hot water - worked OK on the windows, won't work on the paint.

I have tried turps - zip

I have tried WD40 - nyet

I have tried a clay bar - nup.

I have spent about an hour on each method on different section of the roof. Any sugestions to move this stuff?

2. Ob1

Ob1

Have you tried rubbing alcohol?

When all else fails, 1000 grit wet sanding, compound and polish will do the trick.

3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

try buffing it out with fine compound , and a soft bonnet

4. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

try a foamey glass cleaner with amonia in it , like sprayaway. let it sit for a minute.

5. corradog60

corradog60
    from ma

Denatured alcohol works, it will take some elbow grease but does work. Just make sure you wash and wax it after cause it will dull up the paint.

6. Don't cringe,but I use a razor blade.Very carefully,at the proper angle,you can slice off most off of it and the rest can be buffed out.The main problem is it is too hard to penetrate so the razor slices off the hard part so you can get to the softer area that will come off with polishing compound.I wouldn't do this on a nice expensive paint job;but then it if was nice and expensive you wouldn't be parking it under a tree or outside all the time.

7. 54stude

54stude

Put a bed sheet on it, and run a hose or sprinkler to keep it wet for at least a few hours, then wash with soapy water and/or the Meguires bug and sap remover. This is a good way to get off cottonwood sap, and might work for you also.

Beanscoot likes this.
  8. damnfingers

damnfingers

Soap, water and 1500 grit sandpaper, followed with buffing compound and wax.

9. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Possible its paint overspray? Ive had the pleasure of someone spraying a house up the block and covering my red car with fine atomized white dots. Once the sun bakes them on its a problem.

10. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It aint overspray or even tree sap.

Sometimes we get these hellacious swarms of bugs on hot days and they just crap everywhere and it bakes on.

11. brad chevy

brad chevy

FELLOWS,Ifound something that actually works,not just spending money over and over again anymore this took off stains that steel wool and water wouldn"t touch,ITS ( MR. CLEAN MAGIC ERASER) ITS A FOAM PAD,YOU JUST WET IT AND THIS SHIT WORKS,NOT MANy THINGS that will take old oil stains out of fiberglass,this cleaned it off without even rubbing hard.TRY IT,if it don"t work pm me back and tell me i"m full of it

12. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

You're not related to the shamwow guy by any chance:):):)

13. brad chevy

brad chevy

Hell no i don"t beat up hookers!!

14. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Haha, good one. Hey I'm de railing my own thread!

Back to the subject matter, bug shit on paint.

15. brad chevy

brad chevy

I live in FLORIDA AND AIN"T NOBODY GOING TO ARGUE WITH ME ABOUT OUR DAMN TWICE A YEAR SWARMS OF LOVE BUGS.THE mr clean pads even take them off and with lovebugs,you leave them on over a week and acid eats through paint down to bare metal.

16. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

What the hell, I been on all the other rides.

Just not sure Mr Clean in gunna be on the shelves down here. I'll look tonight.

17. yardgoat

yardgoat

Ive used the Mr clean eraser,s.They work good but the ones i have you use dry.Ive never herd of a wet eraser but theres a first time.The dry ones i have took smoke off a heater that grease lightning,409 ,wheel cleaner wouldnt touch. But i didnt try a pencil eraser...................YG

18. corradog60

corradog60
    from ma

Oh man I totally forgot about this stuff. This stuff does work. At work I use it on the plastic headlights that get "cloudy" and then buff 'em out. Don't sleep on the magic eraser!

19. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

They are marketed as Chux magic erasers here. Gunna get me some tonight.

If it works you guys could sell me steakknives:D

20. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Well,

The Magic Erasers worked fine on the (plastic) bumpers, but no where else:confused:. About 6-8 applications of isopropyl alcohol will start to shift this bug crap. These musta been some tough bugs. I'm gonna give Prep Sol a go tonite.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas, keep those cards and letters coming.

Maybe I should try dryer sheets:)

21. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

22. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

You do have to keep them wet but they work great! Best thing I've found for white interiors.

23. DrJ

DrJ

Is it Yellow?
    Bugs love to shit on Yellow cars.
    They shit on just the Yellow part of the flames on my truck.
    I pick it off with a finger nail, one by one.
    Then immediately clean my nails :cool:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  24. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Its a black car. I reckon it gets hot and they're attracted to the heat. They buzz around crappin' and it hits the paint like shit on a skillet.

I'm not dissing the magic erasers, they work great. A few short minutes on the bumper and the crap was gone - I couldn't believe it "Viva La HAMB!"

Different story on the paint. I'm thinking the plastic (spit) bumper doesn't get as hot so the stuff hadn't baked on/keyed in as much. Not much headway with the magic erasers on the paint after 2 hrs - damn!

25. brad chevy

brad chevy

you MUST HAVESOME BAD ASS BUGS DOWNUNDER,YOU MIGHT BE HAVING YOUR DAUGHTER WASH HER CAR MORE OFTEN IF YOU EVER GET THAT CRAP OFF,WET SANDING WON"T TOUCH IT EITHER OR HAVE YOU TRIED IT YET?

26. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

I havent tried wet sanding yet - last resort I figure.

I'm gunna get a can of prepsol and put her to work. It might learn her to wash the damn thing from time to time

27. Bull

Bull

You could try our Wizard's Bug Release. It actually attacks the proteins in the bug splatter but will not remove the wax or harm your clear coat. Just spray it on, let it set for a couple minutes and wipe it off. Beyond that, you could try our Shine Master Polish or Scratch Remover. The Shine Master has a mild abrasive while the Scratch Remover is a bit more aggressive. See my signature to save some loot in our online store.
    [​IMG]

28. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Have you tried the ArmorALL Multi-Purpose Cleaner? We have to use it on my wife's White Trans Am to get the bug spots off. It helps if it sits for a bit. It used to have a Blue label, but now it's orange like the rest.

29. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Just guessing now... for pet spills there are products like "Nature's Miracle" or "Simple Solution" that are enzymes, soap, alcohol, water. You buy them at the pet store; they are for when your kitty or puppy vomits or pees on the carpet; the enzymes eat the proteins and the soap and alcohol help too. It needs to soak for a half hour or so to work.

Shake the bottle well (the enzymes are suspended, not dissolved). Try a terrycloth washcloth soaked in this, cover with a plastic cover (stops evaporation), let it sit for a bit. It's worth a try - you can get a gallon of that stuff here for under $20. You may know someone who has some that you can borrow a bit to try.

30. damnfingers

damnfingers

The reason I recommended wet sanding was I just did it to an off-topic WHITE pick-up truck that I'd neglected for 5 or 6 years. Had mildew, paint overspray from my avatar car and months and months of bug droppings, leaf droppings and whatever else comes around going bump in the night on vehicles kept outdoors. I was amazed how easily the stuff came off with the 1000-1500 grit sandpaper. Use the soap, water and the finest grit you can get by with to start then finish up with finer and finer grits until you can buff it out. Won't take long and you'll be glad you did when you're through...and besides, can't be worse than it is right now, can it?:D