Register now to get rid of these ads!

henry J gasser project racecar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragrcr50, Feb 14, 2010.

1. I'll be watching this one closely, doing one kinda similar myself. It will be my first full frame racecar I've built, having caged and raced a 70 and 71 cuda before, but never had to fab as much as this. You sound like this is familiar territory for you, I may PM for advice if thats cool. I'm shooting for low 10s with a pump gas tunnel rammed 440, 34x14 slicks and 4.88 gear.

Attached Files:

• hj4.jpg
      hj4.jpg
      File size:
      243.7 KB
      Views:
  2. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

cut the cowl for the injector today and joe got all the tubing welded up, time to bend the rest of it.

Attached Files:

3. 067chevy

067chevy

I love those Henry J's. Very cool build. Would love to see that beast go down the track.

4. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

i have built one every winter for the last 4 yrs to race each summer, im hoping to keep this one, did a willys aero same waym, a vicky 31, nova, etc..... feel free i have lots of pics of the chassis i built to start this deal . sam

5. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

BITHCHIN'!! And fast to boot...............:cool:

6. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

Looking good!!!
    I'm looking forward to seeing this one. Keep us updated on the progress.

Here's a couple of Henry's I race with in the ONDR. (Ontario Nostalgia Drag Racers)

This first one has a traditional Gasser look and runs 9.70's. It sits fairly high so as you might imagine it tends to pull the wheels up pretty high.

[​IMG]

This one runs low 9's and sits quite a bit lower. I think they both look really good.

[​IMG]

7. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

thanks i love them, mine will sitabout like the 2d one and i will radius the whel wells as well, I think they lookbetter that way

8. I like your attitude about this stuff...Car is gonna be killer!

9. DMFB

DMFB

I don't care what anyone says, there are very few things on earth cooler than a Henry J Gasser. I'm just sayin.

10. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

Wow dude, your project looks really good from here!

11. Beau

Beau

I saw one of those get totaled when I was a little kid up at B.I.R. I loved that car. It was one of the quickest cars that weekend. I might even have a picture of it somewhere.

12. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

Thanks moyer, same upbringing I imagine... first car i ever had was one of these that my neighbor don grotheer (pro stock mopar don) helped me put together to start driving in, 426 max wedge push button tf and an 8 3/4 rear all courtesy of don. and i have been hooked ever since then .....
    and cant wait to step in this deal and have me some fun this summer.

13. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

looks great.i really wanted to build one but every one i went to go look at was either total junk or way too much money.looks like alot of work for a alitttle more than a month but buy the way it looks it looks like you will get it done.it took me two 1/2 months to build mine and 3 years to finish it{still not done but im still raceing it}have fun!!

14. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

it is a lot to do for sure, the mtr and trans and rear end are all built and i have every pc of the car except the lexan and interior aluminum here, fiberglass is due any day... just takes hours .... .....

15. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

I got the rest of the cage bent and tacked in today , here is what it looks like now... lots of tubing...

Attached Files:

16. Glen

Glen

I have always admired your style.....

add in the quality and attention to safety and it is awesome.

17. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

Likewise glen means alot from you..., , as usual I have a good idea of exactly what im looking for on this build. since my first car ever was one of these it will be a keeper... ...thanks again.............sam

18. Looks great Sam.

We built a B/A Henry J back in about '65 and I've always loved watching them race. I hope to see you run sometime this summer.

Maybe it can make the trip to Joplin for a pass or two?

Heads up with Hooley??

19. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

I assume you'll be adding a X brace in the drivers door + an added tube above the rocker for addt'l protection?? You've already done the F/C cage work ..... check some of the outlaw 10.5 cars for reference .......

Ratty 46

20. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

Actually for a 8.50 cert I dont have to have the x..and the rocker bar is going to be inside the rocker instead of over it. that is legal per sfi 25.4 which for 7.50 would need the x and the rocker would be ok ..as is... thanks for looking

21. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

hooley races with us at every race all year, we butt heads all season. I built the cage in his too.. I built this one to run with him , evn used his motor builder hehe.... we will be at mokan for the reunion for sure.. doubt ill do the hamb drags...:cool:

22. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Cool build, I'll be watching this one. My 34 truck is at the chassis shop right getting its cage. I know what you're saying about being period perfect. It's not happening when you start going fast.I have one question. I didn't think you needed a funny car cage for an 8.50 cert. At least thats what my chassis guy told be.
    Mat

23. Rusty

Rusty

Very Nice, Sure hope we get too see it make some passes At the Texas Nostalgia Nationals,

Rusty

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Always thought a Henry J is one of the coolest race cars ever. I had one in my sights a few years back but never could get the guy to come up with a price. A totally rust free specimen and that's really rare for Michigan. It's still sitting in his barn (so it's elgible for barn find status sometime in the future) and several others have tried to buy........no deal.
    Yours is going to be a great 1/4 miler, can hardly wait to see it finished.

Frank

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  25. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Just asking ...... figured with all the tube you cut a few more never hurt ....... Just my opinion.

Great job so far .... I'm glued to this thread.

PACO

26. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

thanks guys, as for the funny car cage , if the drivers helment is entirely behuind the main hoop , and mine is, i have to have the funny car cage. and im too old and fat to climb over an x bar in the door hehe............

27. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

That is actually why I sold my last pro street '66 chev II ...... to many bars to climb over to get behind the wheel ...... no tubes in the '46 cpe.!!!

PACO

28. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Sam.... the cage tubes; are 1.75 diameter at .120 wall DOM stuff?

Not chrome moly?

Does that cage tubes need to be TIG welded to be legal NHRA?

29. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Rad. What kind of bender do you use?

30. Nice HJ I'll be starting on mine soon