Register now to get rid of these ads!

261 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rtomss, Feb 21, 2010.

1. rtomss

rtomss

So, I have a lead on a 62' 261 out of an old tow truck. I'm looking ahead as my 50' Coupe has a 235 babbit. Unfortunately the head is an 850 and not the 848, but I'm OK with that. I checked the block and it has the Captain Bars, so I think I'm good there. Are there any suggestions about what to look for in a good core? Should I be concerned about the motor not having the right oil filter system for pressure? Also, I've read that these heads can get small cracks from overheating. Is that tyrically something that can be seen? Anyways, It's all together and the guy wants $300.00 for it. Since I havn't seen to many around I was thinking about snatching it up.

2. Oppy

Oppy

I don't believe the 848 head ever came on the 261 from the factory, it was only on 235. A 62 261 should have the real big oil lines on it going to the oil filter, good luck!

3. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Captains bars can be found on 235's. Check the casting numbers against a good resource before paying for a 261.

4. rtomss

rtomss

Oppy....I do believe it has the oil filter and lines still attached. Do you guys know if the 261 and 235 share the same crank and mains ect.?

CollegeKid likes this.

5. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

6. 6inarow

6inarow

go over to www.inliners.org. click "tech tips" on the left side bar. Go to "the forgotten 261" and follow the links - there will be more info there than you ever wanted to know.

If you plug "261" into the search on this site you would have seen 497 threads with 261 info in it. Search is your friend........

7. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I recently had a 235 with captain's bars on it. But right now I have both 235 and 261 engines. I like to check oil pressure and cylinder compression for a good starting point.

8. Oppy

Oppy

Big T & Six inarow are corect, get more info from reading, there is a lot to know about 261's, specialy the oiling.

9. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

I have seen a lot of 235's & 261's in my years but never a 235 with captains bars. I guess I'm just not that lucky. I did see a 261 that was sleeved back to a 235 once. What a waste. I guess I'll just have to keep liv'n and look'n.

10. I took these pics today at the shop.............Thought you inline guys might like 'em.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. rtomss

rtomss

Very nice! What intake and carbs are those?

12. It's not mine......carbs are Ford 94'S....intake is three piece with balance tubes, forgot the name.

13. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

harper? possibly

14. dizzyearth

dizzyearth
    from Elkmont Al

webrodder has a great series of articles on a 261 build, id recommend reading them as in typical fashion, they go thru every detail of selecting a block and the build.

go to www.webrodder.com and type stovebolt in the search

15. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

C@@L red sparkplugs!

16. They used to be flat black..................

17. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

CTFuzz, could you get a picture of that intake from the side and the top. I'm trying to match that one to one I know of.
    Thanks.
    CrkInsp

18. Snarl

Snarl

Many '53-54 235's had the captains bars. If you find an engine with captains bars and the old style water pump, then you need to check either the stamped numbers behind the dizzy or the block casting number in the lower front passengers side of the block.

19. Snarl

Snarl

As for what to look for, look at the drivers side of the block just above the upper oil galley. Sometimes the blocks can crack along there (bottom of the water jacket).

The cracks in the head can usually be seen and are on the roundover area between the valves in the combustion chamber.

Alot of talk has been said about the 848 head giving higher compression than the others, but from what I've seen, there isn't enough of a difference to worry about. If the 850 head is good, go ahead and use it.

20. flyingpiston53

flyingpiston53
    from bristol ri

yes it is a harper intake

21. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    CrkInsp...............I hope these pictures help, I can take more if needed.
    CT.

22. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

848 head works fine on the 261 - just drill the steam holes to match the gasket.
    The plumbed in oil filter was added well into production, so don't stop looking at a truck engine just because it isn't there.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  23. Just a dumb question... what length are the rockers (center to center) and how hard is it to get pistons for a 261? I'm looking for possible replacements for my '28 Chevy engine...

Attached Files:

24. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

CTFuzz,
    Thanks for the pic's.
    What size are the balance tube holes? Years ago we built (welded) similar setups for Roch. carbs and used 1" balance tube. They worked great on 261+" engines for dirt track use.