Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The History Of Los Angeles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Hey, Thanks for giving me the name of the restaurant. I have had this plate from since I was little. My mom said I snuck it out because I liked the Chicken picture on it. It was my regular dinner plate for probably most of my childhood.

Attached Files:

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's nothing new under the sun:

[​IMG]
    Deputy Dwight Smith shown dragging a load of marijuana "trees" from roadside patch in Rosemead, Calif., 1948

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Hey! Those are MINE!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

WOW...the story comes full circle....priceless

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Walter P. Chrysler posing next to a Chrysler Six, circa 1924

[​IMG]
    Pacific Electric Red Car passing over Pico Street viaduct with people and autos below, circa 1927

[​IMG]
    New trackless trolleys making first day run in at corner of Sixth St. and Broadway, Los Angeles, Calif., 1947

[​IMG]
    Santa Ana, Calif., 1961

[​IMG]
    3rd Street with holiday ornaments strung across street in Santa Monica, Calif., 1963

[​IMG]
    Striking Red Car workers approachin<WBR>g a street car in 1929 Los Angeles, Calif.

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

This was scanned from the history book,
    "The Heritage of Baldwin Park", which is a city about 20 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.
    The book was printed in 1981.
    [​IMG]

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool.

The pieces are falling into place!

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here you go Doug . . .

[​IMG]
    1965 cityscape of Los Angeles seen from Fifield Plaza on Wilshire Blvd. looking northwest toward Santa Monica Mountains

[​IMG]
    Cityscape view looking north from the City Hall tower Los Angeles, Calif., 1956

[​IMG]
    Cityscape view looking east from the City Hall tower in Los Angeles, Calif., 1956

[​IMG]
    Cityscape view looking south by west from the City Hall tower in Los Angeles, Calif., 1956

[​IMG]
    Cityscape view looking west from the City Hall tower in Los Angeles, Calif., 1956

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Pasadena Freeway and grading work on Chavez Ravine with backdrop of San Gabriel Mountains, Calif., 1962

[​IMG]
    South-west side of Los Angeles City Hall, Calif., 1949

[​IMG]
    Comedian Eddie Cantor with beauty contestant<WBR>s Lisa Davis, Barbara Drake and Phyllis Applegate, Los Angeles, Calif., circa 1954

[​IMG]
    Contestant<WBR>s lined up, side by side, in swim suits, with their backs facing out during National Chiropract<WBR>ic Associatio<WBR>n's perfect back contest in Los Angeles, Calif., 1927

[​IMG]
    Los Angeles, Calif., 1940

10. 296ardun

296ardun

Very well said! I grew in in the LA area, and these pictures have brought a lot of it back home...like Mazooma I remember Carpenter's, the Hastings Drive-in....but a trip back several years ago reminded me of how much was destroyed...oh, well, at least Blair's is still there.

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Group of "Venice bohemians" playing bongos on steps of Los Angeles City Hall to protest city ordinance, 1965

They look more like college kids cutting class :p

13. amazing pictures BrerHair, you and Mazooma must have warehouses for all this great stuff, and very understanding wifes...

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

one more "then and now" of Lions Drag Strip in Long Beach, south of downtown Los Angeles...

opening day, 1955 (I know, I know, I've already posted this...I have stuff scattered all over the floor. I'm trying to make some sense of it..)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the arrow shows how close the first row of the tower side grandstands were to the starting line. Maybe 15 feet or so...:)

[​IMG]

the last night after the last race, Dec. 1972

[​IMG]

today, it is a truck/freight terminal serving the port
    [​IMG]

Gas Ronda being interviewed in 2008 about his days of racing at Lions and about the day he crashed hard in his SOHC Mustang at Lions
    [​IMG]

Drag documentary film-maker Don Gillespie and long time starter at Lions, Larry Sutton, on the right

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  15. I would like to contribute, but only photo's I have of old LA area are of my current house, here in Monrovia, about 20 miles from downtown LA. First is the back in 1920 and the second is on topic, it was taken in 1919 from the front yard and if you look close, there is a Model T coming down the road, just before the train tracks.

Attached Files:

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

things have been torn down to make way for something else, but not destroyed...the only reason that some businesses and drag strips are no longer here is because they were no longer viable. These were businesses, not charities or public parks
    I still love it here. Sure, things have changed, but that goes on everywhere.

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25 years together
    She has Martha Stewart and crocheting
    I have Tony Stewart and ratcheting
    She has Food Network and cooking
    I have Speed Channel and dishwashing
    She has Sunday school teaching at church
    I have '51 Chevy classn the garage
    We have 3 kids together and we're both comfortable that she's the Boss
    Keep up with my To-Do list and I'm free to do what I want :)

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

a young Mickey Thompson, on the right, was to become a major auto racing personality in the Los Angeles area...

[​IMG]

19. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

1964, Los Angeles...waiting to get booked into the L.A. jail

[​IMG]

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Although this is off-topic for the HAMB because it involves activities from the mid-1960's and into the 1970's, the actions of "Big Willie" Robinson in the Los Angeles area are too colorful and down-right interesting to not be included here.
    "Big Willie" started out organizing street races in the mid 1960's, as I remember it. We used to go to the Winchells Donut shop in Temple City on saturday nights and wait until fairly late before trekking into L.A to watch the races. At the time that I would go along to watch, the main activity for the racing occurred on Crenshaw Blvd. The cops either were not too bright or were onto what was going on and chose to "look the other way".
    Eventually "Big Willie" secured the OK to hold drag races down by the port on an industrial area known as "Terminal Island".
    "Big Willie" was an imposing man just by the virtue of his size, but also because he was a fair-minded man that quietly demanded respect and was quick to give it back to those who were reasonaible.
    His races went from all out street races, sometimes with cars that were anything but street legal, to a respected and well organized event held at Terminal Island.
    "Big Willie" loved the racing, the cars and his beloved Tomiko, but he also used the "Brotherhood" as a way for young men of different neighborhoods and different races, and even different gangs, an opportunity to bury the hachet for an evening while racing and wrenches, and even, hopefully, getting to know one-another as men instead of rivals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robinson and "the Greek", Chris Karamesines

[​IMG]

Tomiko and Willie
    [​IMG]

So, again, somewhat O/T, but a story worth repeating when it comes to the combination of cars and the city of Los Angeles

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

Los Angeles based Willie Utzman built a double overhead cammed STUDEBAKER for use at the Brickyard, but never succeeded...

22. Kurto

Kurto

Holy shite what ever happened to that engine? Any more history/info on the program?

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The only other info that I have is that it didn't get further developed due to it's continuing problem with a shaft on the starter.

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I miss LA......sniff sniff!!!

25. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

If we are going to include "in 'n Out" burgers, we might as well give a tip of the hat to Tommy's.
    I have no idea how many Tommy's there are now in the Los Angeles area, but the one that started it all is the one to go to.
    It's at the corner of Rampart and Beverly Blvds. just west of downtown L.A.. It's completely open, no windows or walls, as it is open 24 hours a day.
    I started going here in that late 60's. You would see police cars, Rolls-Royces, Fire Trucks, bums on bicycles, hookers, blue collar, white collar, no shirt. Hells Angels, you name it.
    The fare is pretty simple. You order a burger, a hot dog, a tamale and fries with chili. If you don't place your order "with chili", then you'll get it with chili. If you don't want the chili on everything, then you better speak up quickly...and then be prepared to face the scorn and dirty looks from the agast assorted weirdos who have now judged you as being defective.
    There's nothing as humiliating as getting looked down upon by a wino and a street walker...so chili it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. metalman

metalman

In'n Out, Big Boys, Tommy's, you guys are making me hungry! I always overload on that stuff when I'm out there since we don't have em. Not a big fan of Tommy's, guess being from NM I think the Chili a little too "mild" but My wife likes them, She's a Glendale native. This is the first post on the HAMB she's taking an intrest to, brought back a lot of memories for her like VanDKamps, her dad and aunt both worked there.

27. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

Loved seeing the "Hard Times" 55 from Pasadena at the LA street races.It was owned by Ronnie Haskins if I remember right.I ran my 65 Shelby there a few times.Willie was always cool. Great memories.

28. I know that Tomiko passed away a few years ago but I have not heard anything of Big Willie in a long time anyone know what he's up to... and please no one say about 6'8" please...

29. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

TOMMYBURGERS Two double meat, double cheese, extra pickles, hold the onions...To go....Car and me smelled like Tommy's for days.

30. big creep

big creep

thanks! i just got back into town and got to see this! way cool!