Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone use the large type Engine Analyzers in their home shops?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ken Carvalho, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

I bought an ALLEN Diagnostic System III model# 23-380 for my shop, and going to pick it up tomorrow, but it doesn't come with manuals. I have googled it in every form of the name as possible, but only came up with a couple of pictures. I know how to hook up the basics, and it powers up, but unsure how to make it work. Any advice, tips,or leads on where to get manuals for it, and anyone know the year of it. I got it since I have so many carbed motors with points type ignitions, I figured this would work great for tuning. Thanks

Attached Files:

j-jock likes this.
  2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I worked for Allen Test , trained and sold these units. The 14000 series " Blue Lines " were the best ever made !!!!
    Traditional hot rod shops should all use one.
    Let me know if i can help with anything. DATEC in Kalamazoo still has the parts for these machines as well.

Note , You may need to attend my Hot Rod Spark class to really understand them.......:eek::D

PS , be very carefully hauling the unit you will vibrate the circuit boards out of them. We always hauled them on a board , face down with some foam on the board and strapped to the board.....

Truck64, Unkl Ian and j-jock like this.
  3. SPX bought Allen in '93 and combined it with Bear Alignment. I believe all the older stuff is serviced by a company called Superior Service & Equipment. http://www.superiorserviceandequipment.com/

You might also take a look at this guy (I know nothing about him other than his website, so shop accordingly :) ): http://www.elderoptionsca.com/sierrasite/allen/index.html

Finally, this guy posted on the H.A.M.B. some time back...dunno if he would get a PM now, or not, as he's not a regular poster:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288167&highlight=allen+analyzer

There are often manuals on eBay as well.

4. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Thanks guys!!! GMC, I have ALWAYS watched your tech posts on distributors and if I were closer I would LOVE to attend that class!!! But, for now I will have to just "hit you up" for info. Thanks for the tip on getting it home. I was going to strap it upright to the bed of my friends truck, but maybe padding on a pallet will be better!!! Thanks again, Ken

5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Guy contacted me inquiring if I was interested in a Fox brand engine analyzer.Said it was from the early 70's,complete with exhaust wand and propane tanks.He also mentioned it was over 5' tall and nearly 6' long.Worked when he closed up shop a few years back.Never heard of that brand.

6. I thought it would be a good idea also, got this FMC, it works, but boy, does it take up space. Gotta go.

Attached Files:

7. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Interesting thread.Would like to get an outfit myself.

8. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

That looks JUST LIKE the one I learned on as a Senior in high school in '85. I remember it being "fairly easy" to operate???? I hope the ALLEN is also, I like that FMC it's bigger........mmmmmmmm

9. unkamort

unkamort

You did say home shop? I had a early 60's vintage Marquette for years that wasn't have the size of that... and it still took up space. Looked great sittin there, but thats' about all it did. I'd drag it out once in a while and play with it but there wasn't enough actual work in my tiny shop to justify the space. That being said, and knowing what I know now, I wish I hadn't sold it. Have fun with it, but be prepared to loose some real estate.

10. Oh, I agree on the real estate. My garage is just big enough for tool boxes, bench, welders and my mill, with a car maybe in the middle. Hasn't happened yet...even after 13 years. The Engine Analyzer has got to go. Looking to trade or sell, if anyone is interested.

11. 57dodge

57dodge

This ones nice and compact and still works .
    Our Shop Got rid of a couple of those Huge Scopes a few years back,
    Heavy Suckers to lift into the back of a pick up.....
    Never had the pleasure of working with one....lots of cursing from the guy who did though.

Attached Files:

12. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

That is a cool looking one!! I've never seen any that style before.

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I've a large collection of engine Analyzers

This is a mint 1941 Allen came to me complete and with all instructions :)

Attached Files:

j-jock and kiwijeff like this.
  14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Here is the oldest one we own

Attached Files:

j-jock and kiwijeff like this.
  15. unkamort

unkamort

That is a neet one! Wish I had pix of my old scope. Later vintage than yours but it had a cretin style to it.

16. squirrel

squirrel

I used to use my big old early 70s Sun machine until the scope quit working.

17. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

[​IMG]

My 48 Sun machine. Makes life a lot easier and it looks cool too. Fits under the stairwell and doesnt take much usable space.

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Didn't realize these were so popular!! I have a 30X36 shop, so space shouldn't be an issue??? Now I am super excited about it!!! especially after seeing it hooked up to the car!!!!!

19. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

W O W !!! That is VERY COOL!!!!

Anyone have an idea on the date of mine??? seems like the later 80's and 90's were all set up for "emissions" and I don't think this one has anything relative to emissions??? BUT I only looked at it for a few minutes and offered him $100.00, he accepted and I wanted to get out of there before he changed his mind

20. nutajunka

nutajunka

Everything I need fit's in a small carry around tool box...:rolleyes:

21. squirrel

squirrel

yours looks late 70s?

I had a totally trashed Sun 2000 from the mid 70s that I took apart...had a really neat computer in it, the first 16 bit microprocessor (National IMP-16).

22. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

This is mine. Tube type so it must be 50's or 60's. It works and I've used it a few times. I think its cool to have around.
    [​IMG]

23. I got a old Sun like da tinman has mein is serial #14 and all works
    the old cars on the top of them just slay me as being sick
    :eek:
    got a big newer sun and had a newer sun with computer and 4 gas, give that one to high school shop after i quit the high tech tune up

did use my newer sun last year on my 53 chev with the 350, wished i had a good 2 gas analyzer again used to do a lot with one of those years ago

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

No one "NEEDS" one of these. But they are fun :cool:

I think I have 25-30 pieces ...... like most-0-my collections I never count how many. As it's not a numbers game.

I used the 41 Allen as a lamp in the living room. I got it from a dealer that discovered these are not worth much and got depressed. The price dropped many #100's over three days! It was missing the timing light which I got at the same Big 3 Swapmeet in San Diego.

I've always wondered about it as even the Warranty card is with it. I wonder if the original owner died in WWII. Instructions and such have their original envelopes

25. nutajunka

nutajunka

Bluto, who is that in your avatar?

26. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Mine works too, I have the timing light, exhaust sniffer, destructions, and the rubber battery mat. All the test leads are there but they are in sad shape. Trying to find compression checker to match.

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Me in another life :cool:

28. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

I have a vintage (60s) Bear that need to go away. Worked ok for a while when I wiggle the main lead but now the pickup seems to have quit working. I only use it to put my OBDII (choke) scanner on it. Anyone interested? Its here in Fresno, former car theft capitol of the world, now we're rated drunkest city in America...... just great!

kiwijeff likes this.
  29. i have a 70's stewart warner it's smaller then the sun one pictured and my trusty vat40.

30. jc62

jc62

Not very often.This one`s mine.Bought it for very cheap and it works fine.Fordcragar here on the HAMB got me the missing manual.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010