Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs John D'Agostino '58 Olds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rot 'n Kustom, Jan 16, 2010.

1. oz kustoms

oz kustoms

its all good my friend,but if you think,thats all i do is PAINT CARS,then who's is the illiterate one,,,,tex

2. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Oz when your down south, lets get in touch. If ya need a place I'm about 40 mins from pomona. Stay cool Roger ps oz does it all

3. oz kustoms

oz kustoms

your not talking about that duster thing wright roger,i dont do it all,,,,,,hahaha ------Oz

4. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Oz I've seen your family remember I know your head is straight.

5. oz kustoms

oz kustoms

oh yeh no time to be gay wright !!!!! im just kiding with ya

6. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Drama thread...again!! jk. Hey, don't know Jon nor Oz, but either way the car looks great. I'm just wondering this tho... Roger says: "Oz I've seen your family remember I know your head is straight." Oz, your head may be straight, but wuts in yure heart? I'm mean, you do have the same duster, you said so yourself!!! Seriosly Oz, awesome work from what I've see by the way! Keep it real man.

7. chopperjeff

chopperjeff
    BANNED
    from minnesota

half evil put your old avatar pic back up..that was the creepiest thing i ve ever seen...in a good way

8. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Thanks to all who replied.
    I am well aware that D'Agostino orchestrates the building of his cars and doesn't build them himself. Every magazine article I have seen gives credit for construction, paint, upholstery, mechanical, etc. Don't know the man personally, just glad he has brought so many nice cars to fruition.

Thanks also for the pointer to Rod & Kulture. It doesn't get to many newsstands in my area, so I haven't seen many issues. Will look for it.

9. Mucha Muchacha

Mucha Muchacha

I just ran into him and the latest '59 caddy the other week on the way back from getting the interior done. Maaaaan...its crazy sick! Can't wait to see it in pomona...:eek:

10. Wobbly Bob

Wobbly Bob

Wow!!! What a ride.

11. Before this thread became all about Oz, it was about the 58 Olds. I really like most of Agostino's stuff. I could care less whether he does the work or not. I love the cars.

12. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

sam and george barris.

D'agostino and oz.

theres the poster boy and theres the craftsman.

all aside, the car turned out great.

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't think it was ALL about Oz. Sounds like a guy bustin his buddy's balls a bit to me. I have some money people I fuck with like that. They get me right back sometimes too. As far as John's 'vision' I don't think we need to go there any more than we've been. Always great stuff. And FWIW, I don't know Oz personally but we've gabbed once or twice on here and I think he's a stand up dude...for now anyways. That "duster" talk is kinda creepy... :eek::

14. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

AMEN!
    Money talks and bullshit walks ~

15. chuckw2

chuckw2
    from So Cal

D'Agostinos cars always grab my attention-especially like the '57 "Golden Star" Olds from a couple years ago. I wondered who did his work. I learned about Oz here on the HAMB. He must work 24/7/365 to turn out the amount of cars he does along with his personal stuff.
    Love the Riv-how's it coming

16. sonim38

sonim38

whats the point of guys like john d?he just pays money for other people to work on his car, and he gets the credit?

17. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

I just saw this thread and am laughing my ass off. 0z, you are killin me!!!

Is his '40 still in primer at the shop?

See in in Sac.....

Brian

18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

What's the point? The guy likes cars, has good taste, and orchestrates and finances a build that he himself couldn't physically accomplish. D'Agostino isn't making any misrepresentations about who has done the work on his cars. He may be a special case because he has been the man associated with so many nice builds that people may incorrectly assume that he is the builder himself, or that he has a shop that turns these cars out. But it is certainly no secret in this small community of ours that there are skilled builders and painters behind his builds.

Throughout the history of custom cars, vehicles have come to be associated with their owners. The Hirohata Merc, Jesse Lopez Ford, Larry Ernst Chevy, and more recently the Mike Ness '54, the former being built by Barris and the latter by Cole Foster. Those cars didn't detract from their builders rep or steal credit from them, in fact, just the opposite.

It's ignorant to think that everybody is capable of building a car beginning to end. Everybody outsources some work they're not confident in their own abilities in doing. It's the reason I go to a dentist. D'Agostino desires vehicles that are beyong his capabilities/time constraints in building, so he pays someone to build them... where is the issue?

19. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

^^^ Yep! I agree w/ ya dude^^^ After all if it wasnt for guys like him many
    of the guys that can live doin what they love, couldnt! Now how kool would that be?
    Not at all i guess!
    Oz rules thou! wish i had a 10th of his talent.

20. A Rodder

A Rodder

Funny stuff, great car

21. glassguy

glassguy

dont mean to hijack the thread. just figured ide add a few pics of mine. had it 26 years. was originally a similiar gold color and thats what i wanted to redo it in this time around, but now i dont think i will coz once i chop it ppl will think its a clone!! so it will be black instead.. speaking of gay dusters look at the color i painted it one year in the 90s..it was so gay even my lil duster had to sneak up on it!! lol ive done my fair share of chops, but ive already warned oz when i start cutting into this bitch im gonna be calling him for a few pointers!!

Attached Files:

22. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

I brought my 1958 Chevy to the very first Lead East in Flemington, NJ, thirty years ago.
    I remember parking between a '58 Buick and a '58 Olds.

I started chatting with the owners and we all laughed because everyone then thought the 1958 GM cars were the ugliest ever produced. I think we all purchased our cars relatively cheaply, as a result!

The '58s were one-year-only body styles and didn't sell especially well, at least partly because 1958 was a recession year.

Times change and tastes change!

23. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Dave (Paras), how long did you own the '51 for? I remember that car since forever,
    any chance you already had it in flat black w/ copper scallops in the early 00s?
    Late 90s to early 00s is when i started to drawn into kustoms rather than
    muscle cars and your car was possibly very relevant at that.....or i might just
    remember it cause its kool! :D
    Anyway, the pink '58 aint all that bad, its the color coded trim and bumper thats
    totally gay dude! :D.....'58 are stranbe beasts, you either love'em or hate'em,
    theyre actually grown on me lateley, and wouldnt mind one to make a OG Low with.
    Dave ReC, it would be nice to get'em cheap now......58s are sooooo crazy pricewise!

24. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

If it wasn't for customers with money, alot of the cars wouldn't get built. I can't afford to build all the cars I want in life, and i have a list of ones i want to do, so without guys paying others to build them, you would see alot less kustoms. I use the money i get off of about 3 cars to build one of mine, and that is what makes it all work.I think the so called "builders" give the workers credit, sometimes not as much as one should get, but those who "know" , know ! and that makes it all worth it in the end. I don't watch tv, party, or play sports, so building cars is what I do. it's a LIFESTYLE.

25. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Hey Oz.
    You say your not high $? That's good to know but can you ballpark a build like the 58? Hours or $? Complete build or just mods, body and paint. What are we talking here? School me.
    BTW- You do great work and from what I've seen out there I like the stuff from your shop just about the best.
    i have a 58 Impala, care to take a swing?:cool:

26. Normally I'm not a big fan of those, but I really liked it when I saw the Egyptian at GNRS 2009.

Some pics I took:
    [​IMG]
    flickr.com

[​IMG]
    flickr.com

[​IMG]
    flickr.com

27. glassguy

glassguy

i had the 51 merc for about 7 years. when i first finished it it was flat black with the gold scallops, then i did it shiney green with gold scallops. i woulda given BOTH my nuts to keep it!! i hated that pinkish color on the 58 the second i pulled the tape off so it didnt stay that color long! i had no choice with the bumpers the chrome was wasted and way to much money to redo. it has a new chrome bumper now, the chrome is shot on this one too, but it still looks better then painted...

28. sonim38

sonim38

i like being ignorant joe

29. Wicked50

Wicked50

Hey Oz I got your back, if some people do a little reading they would know that you build most of the bad ass cars out there.

30. oz kustoms

oz kustoms

john does bring me nice cars to start with,that olds cost about,30 k that was all custom work chop top all stainless work,all glass work air ride,body work and paint,hope that helps