Register now to get rid of these ads!

NANCO tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Anybody ever heard of NANCO tires? I stumbled upon auction #8045393772 on eBay and thought this seemed like a pretty decent deal for a set of 650-16 bias ply tires in blackwall. $147.99 for two including tubes. They've got that great piecrust sidewall design that I love on old cars so now I'm waiting to hear the downside... they fall apart in 150 miles or something, don't they?

If something seems to good to be true...

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

NANCO Is the 2nd largest trailer tire manufacturer. Great trailer tires. Haven't checked the auction but 6.50/16 is a common trailer tire size.

Checked it out....I'd roll those at that price. get 'em.

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That's one of the applications they list, but they do specifically mention use on trucks, antique cars and "rat rods" in the auction.

I'm just thinking of all the agricultural tires I've seen over the years with warnings not to exceed 25mph on the sidewall.

Amusingly, the only trailer I've seen with bias plies on it had Firestone Champion Deluxes.

4. BJR

BJR

Make sure to check the date code on the tires you are buying. Old tires are dangerous. They could be unloading some very old stock on E-bay that could come appart when they get up to speed on a hot day and ruin your ride.

5. oiler

oiler

Alot of the older Nancos were recalled for safety reasons.
    example- blow apart at 25 mph.
    My holiday trailer came with them in 05 and they were recalled

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Good point. If you get me the DOT number, I can decypher it for ya. But basically, the last 3 or 4 digits will be the week and year of manufacture.

7. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

trustin tires is like trustin condoms... would you do that tijuana prostitute with cling wrap spun around you a few times? or would you look around and drop a few more bucks on a trojan so your old lady doesnt get itchy when you get home??

get some firestones or denmans or something similar

8. A Boner

A Boner

I have some 7.00 x 15 LT tubless nylon Nanco tires on my "T" modified. I bought them at Farm & Fleet. I've only had them up to 90 mph...I was more nervous about the Coker ribs on the front. They work fine, but being a truck tire they are a bit stiff. I think I'm running them with about 20psi. They look like some of the tires in "The Birth of Hotrodding" book. I think they also make a 7.50 x 16 tubeless tire .

9. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Old post but I just saw some of the same tires on Ebay and they are way less expensive than other brands I've seen...

"(2) 600-16 6 PLY TIRES PAIR BIAS RAT ROD TIRE 6.00-16"

$160.00 for the pair.

Any additional input on these tires?

10. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I put some on a stock Model A that had 16 inch wire wheels on it. I liked them but never had it faster than 40 mph. They sure look ok to me.

11. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I do believe that these tires are 8 (at least) ply construction. That's typical for truck and trailer application and, as a result, are really stiff. Passenger car tires in the bias ply era were usually 4 ply.

12. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

they are just so much cheaper than firestones or anything else from places like Coker... I guess there is a reason for that?

13. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

They're a mass-produced trailer tire instead of a specialty reproduction tire. Larger market = economy of production = less expensive product. You can also figure that these are only being promoted for passenger car use by an unknown middle man who will probably disappear next week, and would likely be judgment proof even if you found him. Compare that with a nationally known company like Coker, and you can see where there might be greater concern for safety in the quality control process.

-Dave

14. better get a manufacture date as somebody might be unloading "old stock" red flags are waving here!

15. Click my link above. These are coming from a TIRE STORE.

16. reverend jim

reverend jim
    from Chico CA

I can second that. I just looked at some 6.00 x 16 NANCOs at a local tire store this week. They were new and had current production dates. They had nice looking tread and were not bad looking at all... except for the BIG *MADE IN CHINA* text under the name. There is a lot of text on the sidewalls on both sides too. For the money, they seem just fine. The good-ol-boy price is less than 4-bills for 5 tires so, for a budget build, they definitely deserve a look.

17. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I worked in a tire shop for a while, we sold alot of them to farmers for trailer tires. Those babies are TOUGH! Never once saw one come in needing a patch and they were being run on flint rock gravel roads which are notorious for knocking down tires. They don't ride too bad on heavier vehicles but IDK about a light car.

18. JoelOkie

JoelOkie
    from Oklahoma

:eek:
    I'd be so damned ashamed to admit some of the things I've done, but that aside, this seems to make sense about the tires. Best way to know, I guess, is talk to someone who bought and see if it has worked out. I would like to hear testimonials. Joel

19. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

I Just got back from Maxton about 600 miles with a new pair of 750/16 Nanco unbalanced and they did fine...

Attached Files:

A Boner likes this.
  20. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

they look pretty good, but they are 10 ply aren't they :eek:

21. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Yes they are 10 ply ,and a little hard . My logic was they can not be any worst than front tires ,so I took a chance...As I said they did OK....

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  22. Kustm52

Kustm52

If they are round gotta be better than cokers...

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Are the fronts repop dirt track ribbed tires, or are they actual ribbed implement tires like I see at Tractor Supply? I didn't think the latter were at all safe over about 10mph.

-Dave

24. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

They are the Firestones from Speedway ....

25. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I've seen a thread where someone had sanded the lettering off NANCO's for a plain sidewall on a "gasser" look front tire. The tread is a pretty attractive pattern, not so blocky.

26. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

So what happened to the don't buy chinese crap?

27. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Is there an American-made bias ply anymore? I think the alternative is cheap Mexican crap.

-Dave

28. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Looked on Ebay for these,couldnt find them.I thought the would look and work just fine on the Studebaker truck.

29. jguff

jguff

I ran a pair of the 6 ply 600 by 16 Nanco for thousands of miles on a teardrop trailer. Air pressure about 22 psi. No problems at all. In the west they can be ordered from Les Scwhab stores.

Jerome