Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The History Of Los Angeles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Thanks to both of you for your time and taking us back on a journey...

2. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

People without tattoos..... ;)

3. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Doug, thanks for all these shots, and for telling us that’s you on the right!
    Ya had me worried. Slim

Attached Files:

4. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

This is a wondrful trip down memory lane for many of us geezers.
    My, how times have changed.....maybe not for the better.
    Thank you to all who have posted photos.

5. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Heros don't always die in battles..Your uncle was a hero, God rest his soul.

6. plan9

plan9

i was under the impression the Citadel was built in the 1920's...

actually... just found this via google search. interesting read... you were right about it being a tire company, but not Firestone. :)

http://www.citadeloutlets.com/info/ourhistory.cfm

7. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Firestone plant was in South Gate, oddly enough on Firestone Bl. and Santa Fe...

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hate to be the one to correct. Top pic is @ Firestone and Santa Fe, Bottom pick is along the 5 frwy or Telegragh Rd,
    between 710 and 605[/QUOTE]Everone must have missed my post three days ago

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal opened in 1939. Thankfully, it has been restored and still serves as a terminal for Amtrak and the L.A. light-rail transit trains.
    Back in the heyday of railroads, it was home to Santa Fe, Southern Pacific, and Union Pacific.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The station rarely sees steam locomotives anymore, but occassionaly one will stop during a special rail club event. The Union Pacific Challenger spent a few day here in 2000. I caught this shot as it was following the stretch of Route 66 through Oro Grande as I had departed Los Angeles that morning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this restored Santa Fe locomotive was heading into LAUPT in December of 1991. It is now housed at the Redondo Yards in East L.A.
    [​IMG]

The Santa Fe Super Chief was a celebrity in L.A. as it was a favotite mode of travel for many Hollywood stars. It made it's daily run to Chicago which took 39 hours. A train to Chicago left the station everyday at 7:30 PM.
    We would ride our bikes during the summer months to watch it pass through Arcadia, which happened each night at 8:10PM
    Even into the late 1970's, on a sunday evening there would be about 100 people at the First Ave. crossing to wave as it went by. Its a nice kind of "interesting" that something like a speeding train would be so engaging to so many people for so brief a period of time. Station wagons would back into the dirt lot and the kids would sit on the open tailgate enjoying an ice cream and waiting for the "8:10" to glide by. The last of the pretty trains was in 1970 and were replaced with Amtrak units, but the sunday crowds didn't dwindle. It was nice to see so many people enjoying something that was just to be enjoyed for a brief moment in all it's simplicity.

[​IMG]

The railroads played a big part in the development of the Los Angeles area
    and were quick to lure people from all over to travel to Southern California for a week or forever.
    [​IMG]

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Wilshire Blvd., aka "the Miracle Mile"
    [​IMG]

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

this is an old menu from Eatons on Route 66, Colorado Blvd. as it leaves Pasadena...aerial photo on post #267

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The Pan Pacific Auditorium was home to many car shows, conventions, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it was lost to this huge fire several years ago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

imagine a motel swimming pool without a security fence?

[​IMG]

of course you all recognize Harveys, now rebuilt as a Bob's Big Boy, thanks to our own Cyclone Kevin

[​IMG]

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

one of our family favorite coffee shops on the Sunset Strip was Ben Franks...today, it's Mels Diner
    it wasn't far from "77 Sunset Strip", Dinos that served as the location for many of the shot from the TV show of that same name, It's the show that introduced to us kids Norm Grabowski's "Kookie T" that was the car driven by one of the stars of the show, Edd "Kookie" Byrnes
    The "Strip" was home to the Playboy Club and all that "adult stuff"
    [​IMG]

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Here are the "Yellow Cars" that ran throughout the downtown part of Los Angeles. The more famous "Red Cars" traveled some 1200 miles in the greater L.A. area going as far as Newport Beach and Lake Arrowhead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

most all of them were sunk into the Pacific Ocean to be used as fisheries...most likely that was a nice and tidy way of just dumping them in the ocean...it sounded so "responsible"...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rescued the trolley sign from my town from a scrap heap in 1979

[​IMG]

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great part of the world.

Speaking of trains, reminds me of being a kid, when most homes were not air conditioned, hearing the long freight trains at night, and the far-off singing of the truck tires.

Thanks Mazooma!

16. Thanks Ryan- cool steer.
    This is a big thread I see. I don't wanna wade thru it all right now, and tell please if it's already been discussed, but can any'a you gearheads explain the engine work processes happening in those first few shots ?

BTW - Was joy had by anyone (aside from GM) by having the trams of L.A. replaced by diesel buses ?
    My city ( Adelaide) has the same layout as L.A. and here all the trams were ripped out with the post war car boom. Now they've starting to put em back in. Sooner the better, the buses stink and have their work cut out servicing the SPRAWL.
    A nuclear tram- yeh!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I miss the Santa Fe that ran through Pasadena and down the middle of the 210 Freeway...last train through there was January of 1994. Now it's right-of-way is the "Gold Line" that runs back and forth into L.A.

I scream, you scream, we all scream when we get kicked in the nuts!
    [​IMG]

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

undoubtedly the most famous hot rod photo of all time.
    Normie-Poo "Woo Woo" Grabowski at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank (Toluca Lake, home to Bob Hope)

[​IMG]

Grabowski and Mamie Van Doren

[​IMG]

the "Qualifiers" gasser at Lions, a crowd favorite

[​IMG]

I've always loved this photo. It could be Anywhere, USA. The whole family heading out on vacation, leaving behind their tidy 1000 square foot house in the suburbs. It even looks like it's about 95 degrees, but that's nothing that Mom's Kool-Aid wouldn't conquer. I absolutely loved growing up in the 50's. No key to the house, of course, as the door was never locked. Dad would back the police car into the driveway every night and leave the windows down and the key in the ignition...really.

[​IMG]

19. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

one more for tonight...an ad for Ed Roth's pickup

[​IMG]

20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like an army surplus jeep. Momma's got a pie in the oven, she's hot, needs a popcicle. Dinner-cooking shoes! :)

21. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

Here is the history of the Citadel Shops. As you read you will see it was Uniroyal Tires before it became the outlet.
    [​IMG]
    <!--StartFragment --> ​
    Only in Los Angeles can you drive to an Assyrian palace to buy blue jeans and leather goods. The Citadel Outlets, Los Angeles' only outlet center, has the distinct honor to be located behind an Assryian Castle wall. The Citadel opened in November 1990 as a mixed-use project which includes a retail outlet center, a food court, five office buildings, and a 201-room Double Tree Hotel.
    HISTORY OUTLINE
    Adolph Schleicher started his Samson Tire and Rubber Company in a tiny wood-frame factory in Compton, choosing "Samson" because it symbolized strength and endurance.
    January 1928
    Adolph Schleicher, owner of Samson Tire and Rubber Company, embarked on development of a new factory in East Los Angeles -- one that would become the largest manufacturing facility under one roof west of the Mississippi.
    Schleicher wanted to include a Samson and Delilah motif. Thus the plant was modeled after a 7th Century B.C. ancient Assyrian palace including a 1,350-foot-long (later expanded to 1,750) crenulated concrete wall decorated with heraldic griffins and bas-reliefs of Babylonian princes carved into the stone between impressive pillars and towers. The design, dedicated to the civilizations of Sumeria, Akkadia and Babylonia, conveys strength and style.
    January 23, 1929
    Ground broke for the $8 million Samson Tire and Rubber Company plant, the largest tire manufacturing facility on the West Coast (attended by 12,000 people).
    At the behest of Schleicher, the original architects (Morgan, Walls and Clements) designed the wall in the style of King Sargon II's palace. Sargon was a Babylonian King with a 23-acre palace and Schleicher's plant, coincidentally or by design, covered the same amount of land.
    The portion of the wall that fronts the office building features genii, winged guardian figures protecting individuals from evil. The plant entrance featured another form of genii -- winged bulls with human heads -- also intended to guard the interior as those on Sargon's palace.
    October 29, 1929
    Stock market crashed
    May, 1930
    Samson Tire and Rubber Company plant opens with no public ceremony and with capacity to produce 6,000 tires and 10,000 tubes a day.
    January, 1931
    US Tire and Rubber Company purchases and takes over the newly completed Samson Tire Company.
    September, 1960
    Adolph Schleicher, owner of Samson Tire and Rubber Company dies.
    US Tire and Rubber Company becomes Uniroyal Tire
    . ​

22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is something about those Diesel Electric trains, they look customised already. Love the look, we still use them here in Oz. Thats a childhood memory, dropping my grandparents off at Spencer Street Station so they could catch the 'Southern Aurora' to Canberra to visit friends. It was always houled by 2 of those trains.
    Good memories.
    Doc.

23. rokcrln

rokcrln

Well all I have to add for history on LA is my great grandfather started the worlds first parking lots and many of them are still owned today. My grandfather has several pics on his wall of the first lot as well as the first under ground parking garage and I will try and get some copies of them for this post. Here is a link for a few pics and info. http://www.savoycorp.com/history.htm

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

Attached Files:

• 2sm.jpg
      2sm.jpg
      File size:
      13.4 KB
      Views:
  24. vein

vein

Wow! found this thread and took me most of night to look through it and what a ride! thanks mazooma!!!!

25. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Thanks to both of you for posting all of those pics and especially for the insite and history. I lived in L.A. for a few years, what a place it is! Best thread in a while!

26. My laptop computer is now sitting at about a 45 degree angle because I have such a huge boner!!! (well, huge for an Irishman.....better make make it like a 25 degree angle).....Great pics. Thanks!

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow!!

That's some fantastic LA history!!

Would be great to add those photos, thanks rokcrln.

28. apound

apound

Another great thread. Thanks for posting guys!

29. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Quite an understatement when you read the story,

Thanks for posting the link