Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1953 Battle Cry "DEATH TO ALL JALOPIES !!!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Feb 6, 2010.

1. http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/...t_id/5235d96e-2f1c-4c63-80b7-c9e7c589e0ba.cfm

History

Chicago's famous architect and planner Daniel H. Burnham imagined Northerly Island as one of the northernmost points in a series of manmade islands stretching between Grant and Jackson Parks. His vision for this park included lagoons, harbors, beaches, recreation areas, a scenic drive and grand stretches of green space that would provide breathtaking views of the lake and City skyline.

Northerly Island and Burnham Park were selected as the site of Chicago's second World's Fair entitled A Century of Progress, 1933-34, and by the early 1930s, Northerly Island had been increased to its present size. In 1938, the Chicago Park District removed the bridge leading to Northerly Island and built a causeway connecting the island to Burnham Park.

Throughout the 1930s and 1940s, Northerly Island featured paths and walkways, scattered trees and grass, a parking lot and the 12th Street Beach. In 1947, a small airport known as Meigs Field opened under the Exposition Authority Act. Operations at Meigs expanded with the building of an air control tower in 1952.

The 50-year lease granted by the park district for Meigs Field expired on September 30, 1996. The City, Park District, and numerous civic organizations agreed that the airport should revert to parkland. Today, Daniel Burnham’s vision is now a reality. With wild prairie grasses taking root, beautiful strolling paths, casual play areas, and a spectacular view of the City skyline, we invite you to come out and enjoy the emerging world of Northerly Island.

Of course, the Chicago Park District leaves out the midnight raid to demolish the Meigs Field runways without public notice or even tipping off the FAA!

2. Shell

Shell
    from Upstate NY

Of course selling the cars is the first step, but the real money comes with those customers that come back for all their maint. work! A lot of dealerships survive on the money their service departments bring in. Nowadays anyway.

3. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

I love the the way they emphasized "KILLED" on all of the posters, looks very spooky. Would have definitely made me want to run right out and buy the latest in drum brake technology.

4. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

We better be careful or they might be stealing our "jalopy's" from us...it seems possible the way things are going in america :mad:

5. Weasel

Weasel

Well that's proof that intolerance is traditional....:rolleyes:

6. R33CHEBY

R33CHEBY

Those pictures break my heart! The ironic thing, is a bunh of the "junk Jolopies" are Chevys. What were those dealers thinking? 'Hey our older cars are juck and kill people, buy our new ones!'

7. dart165

dart165

incredible piece of history! Thanks for sharing!

..so i guess the 'cash for clunkers' type initiative isn't a new idea... just as stupid though.

8. dart165

dart165

on an unrelated tip... i used to live in that huge building to the left of woodward in the distance... looks like that shot was taken from the viaducts that pass over Woodward just south of Newcenter.

[​IMG]

And theres my car on the left driving north!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  9. ground pounder

ground pounder
    from ontario

i see the comuist's were at it back then as well/man i can tell u frist hand how corrupt the dealers association here in canada is they violate your chater of rights an your consitution...i 'd love to have my day in court with the jackass i have so much proof it isn't funny.....

10. Hodad

Hodad

I guess this Jalopy Crushing party keeps killing.. It kills me to see cool old cars crushed!!

11. Lil Bastard

Lil Bastard
    from belgium

12. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

So cars that were 6-7 years old were "jalopies" back then? I suppose history repeats itself as some of the C4C cars were a similar age.

-KK

13. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HEY MAZOOMA----Don't forget the old "DOG TRACK" (Greyhounds) in Culver City!!!
    I think it was BEFORE Gardena(?)---I'm getting too old to remember now, but didn't Saugas come in there also (about that time?).
    Not only Parnelli Jones, remember Termite Snyder, & Sta-Lube, & guys walking up & down the aisles selling "HOT ROD" magazines for 25 cents?---One of them was ol' Stroker McGurk (TOM MEDLEY).
    Seeing all these old cars reminded me of all the trailers & flatbeds full of '32,'34,'35,36 & some '37 Fords ALL body styles waiting to be "NEXT" out on the dirt track with a chance to be the winner----For a case of-----------------Sta-Lube!------Don

14. 57FORDF100

57FORDF100
    from bell

i wonder if thats what hell looks like

15. thebugbox

thebugbox

The First Rat Rod?

16. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is how we treat the "LATE MODELS"--------Don:D:D

Attached Files:

17. Sure, the pictures make you sad. But look at all the money the sign painters made on these promotions! :D

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Yup, Carrol Speedway and Gardena (aka Western Speedway)...
    don't forget Art Atkinson and Jim Rossler, and the "Candy Cane Kid"
    shit...am I that old???

19. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

"No 32 Ford's were harmed in the making of this thread!"

20. chrisclarkcustoms

chrisclarkcustoms
    from las vegas

yea... Cause remember salad shooters dont shoot salads, people do.

Looks like a ploy to get rid of older cars so you more people will buy new ones.
    Glad that couldnt happen today.... wait...a...minute....

21. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

I think I see the drivers side door for my 29 Dodge Coupe that I have been looking for, the past two years, in some of those pics :)

22. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Reminds me of Cash-For-Clunkers! Things really have not changed much. So incredibly sad.

23. bygeorge32

bygeorge32
    from Canton, Ga

Cash for clunkers was the biggest waste of good work trucks ever... I was in Billings Mt. working at Archie Cochran Ford. They junked several trucks and vans that would have made perfect workers. DAMN shame, they emptied the fluid fired it up and let the engine seize before they turned them in. Just like in these pictures, look how old the tow trucks are, and they are still earning money!!!!

24. Wow amazing pictures reminds me of the first crushers to our town 1971

25. plan9

plan9

its to be expected.... the usefulness of a truck ensures they will see more road time than a passenger car.
    although the pictures cant be newer than very early 50s and the oldest truck i can spot is a 41/46 chevy/GMC wrecker, the rest appear to be contemporary.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  26. For sure! I seen it here in Guthrie, Oklahoma also! History repeats itself again! :mad:

27. big creep

big creep

what a bunch of assholes! just like when they removed the red rail car in los angeles so people would buy more cars! jerks!

28. synchro7

synchro7

That's like here in Colorado, they are really pushing NEW cars to cut down on polution. And saying the OLD cars are causing the problem. That is a bunch of BS. If you look at the percentage of old cars in traffic, it is nil. The big boys don't give a rats ass about polution. All they want is the DOLLARS from the sales and license taxes. And that cash for clunkers program was a monster case of gross stupidity.

29. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Now if they could just get them to do this with Toyotas.

30. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

They were considered the same. Just like today, the newer car you can afford the better. Who knows, mayber 30 years from now, people will call us crazy for junking a 70s to 80s vehicle.:eek: