Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowriders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Aug 3, 2009.

1. chrisclarkcustoms

chrisclarkcustoms
    from las vegas

The Amigos hang out around the corner from my house. Just about every car that
    cruzes over there was layed out one time or another, candy frame or not, allways
    thought it was cool.

2. Eryk

Eryk

Haha. I knew you'd have something more to say. You always do.:D For the record, the car we're talking about was low as fuck. But it also had something that was considered showstopping in the late 80'd/early 90's...murals in the wheel wells. Thats why you'd always see it raised up to show off the detail in those wells. Again, not my cup of tea, but a significant part of lowrider history whether you and like like it or not.

But back on track...

This was a Grand Prix that was built by my uncle and my grandpa in 1972. They built it for my mom but my uncle ended up crashing it. Go here to read the whole story and see more pics. http://losboulevardos.blogspot.com/2009/08/eryks-family-vol-2.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. altered image along with loco 64 where some of the best built lowriders ever even if they did look like transformers at the shows, but when everything closed up doors hood trunk lined up perfect!

groucho, yes it did lay frame and it got off the ground, ralph wasn't afraid to drive it even going of curbs to leave car shows

full painted, murals,and chrome undercarrige, removable flaked, patterned roof!

ralph is actually walking away from it in the picture

Rust Junkie, yes ralph still owns the car he has done alot of new mods. hopefully he finishes it soon

4. groucho agree with youu 100 percent! but we got to remember something we drive LOW RIDERS, lowrider is a magazine:D

5. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Ive just seen your reply on the gnrs thread on the "other board"......
    Im kinda late:D....must agree w/ eryk from the pics they look on the ruff side
    but thats exactly why they look like they came out of a time capsule!
    Still waitin for more pics......can anybody pm the Shifters fer some?

Attached Files:

6. LOWMOTIONCARCLUB

LOWMOTIONCARCLUB
    from auburn, wa

really like the pics

7. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, I’ve been trying to see if anyone can identify the clone that I am building with no luck. I’ve had my thread on the main message board but it may be too general and what I am doing might be too specific. It’s a ‘50 ford coupe that was the car that captured me when I was a teenager and set the direction of my life.

The original builder was a so cal legend and the car is considered as one of the original so cal lowriders in the area that is now called Kustomland. It had Lynwood at the upper boundary (this car was built in Lynwood) and Long Beach at the lower boundary. This area became known as the “hot bed” of hot rodding and custom cars. There were areas in N.Cal, the Midwest and the east coast, but Kustomland was the breeding ground that fueled all the other parts of the country. It was the little mags, Rod & Custom, Custom Cars, Hot Rod, Motor Trend etc. that told the Kustomland story. This car shared the same grass (outdoor car shows) with the Aztec, the Grapevine, the Kopper Kart, Bugarins Merc, Bettancoarts Merc, Zupans Merc. etc. As well as the pages (and the covers) of the aforementioned magazines.

Below is a few pictures and a link to my thread where there is additional information and many more pictures. Take a look at my thread and tell me what you think.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406588&highlight=late+introduction

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I love your car, she is so perfect, 4 doors can be cool when done right.

9. Eryk, Thanks again. A friend and I were talking about Altered Image the other day. I know it isn't every one's style, but there was/is something about that car. I heard it is going to make a comeback, it can't wait to see it again. That was a very influential car for me....I think that is why I end up painting everything candy gold.

10. Has that really been almost 20 years ago? Holy Cow!

11. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Those two 60's are the cats ass

12. Eryk

Eryk

Indeed. Here's a couple more pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Eryk

Eryk

I know exactly what you mean. There are just some of those cars that grab you for whatever reason. When I was a kid it was the Lopez Merc. I'm aware that its not everyones favorite and that there are plenty of "nicer" Mercs out there. But the Lopez Merc made an impression on me like no other. Much like Watson's Grapevine. And Mox Miller's 58. Gypsy Rose is another that grabbed me by the balls and never let go. Some cars just have that impact no matter how many people disagree about their merit or appeal.

14. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

Summer Madness about 1982, SFV

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  15. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Here are some from my car club.

Attached Files:

16. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

And how!!

17. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

18. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

^^^Yo Dude!^^^
    I just read the article about how your former Imapala got wrecked.
    So, i take back the shame on him for crushing it cause he didnt, but i found
    amazingly ridiculous that he claims responsability for the build!
    Bought it for 500 bucks and invested 35k during many years....yeah right! :D
    is that what you told him? :D

19. perfect!;)

20. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Yea he can say whatever he wants to man I have the build pics. I know the truth. Tell him to explain my name welded to the frame.

21. Eryk,

I've been a Chopped Merc and Lowrider afficiando all my adult life. When that April '73 Street Rodder came out and I saw the both rolled into one car, I was in heaven.

The Charlie Lopez Merc is as important and iconic of a Lowrider today as when it first appeared. No doubt about it!

Joel

p.s. I love this thread!

22. Here are some pictures of my uncle's '64. He sold it before I was born...and I'm pretty sure he has no idea I have these pictures.:D He was one of folks that got me into old cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

B.M.

23. That is PERFECT! Love the starwires. I finally found a nice set, took a while though.

24. I remember when Cragar wires were one of the cheapest wheels you could buy at Pep Boys.

25. Leroy 701

Leroy 701

[​IMG]

Pure classic, a kid couldn't help but be influenced

26. Here are a couple more...I have no idea whose truck that was, but I have been in Chevy PUs ever since I'd seen this pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

B.M.

27. Hey Rust Junkie, any pictures of Fabian's Monte? Or was it your dad's car?

28. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I loved the alter image monte carlo when it first came out. hate the tilt front end.. but with it sitting down with the convert look, it rocked. (I think it was the first version with the top off that I liked best (seen it a few times at shows when I lived in the bay area.

29. mcann05

mcann05

Here was my 69 Lincoln had Daytons on it but after we got done with the suspension the car would be on the frame and the wheels would be in the air..had to go 20/22's just to get it to sit right.

Attached Files:

30. well it doesn't SIT RIGHT in this topic!