Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick Finned Drum Covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Arrowood Rod & Kustom, Feb 17, 2010.

1. so was searching ebay for some 45 fin Buick brake drums and I've been looking for about 4 months now to find a set sell for under $200-$250 but it hasent happened and I ended up coming across this "fake" buick drums

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buic...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

the price is about what I'd like to spend..but just wondering if anyone has pictures of these on their hot rods, and any info on them would be appreciated...also what drums,hubs,backing plates..etc did you use them with and what work did you have to do to make them fit

I've done searchs on this but only can seem to find info on So Cal's drum covers and $375 is crazy I'd just buy legit ones if I was going to that

dont care that these are made in Mexico either as I'm sure I'll get posts saying dont go fake or dont use anything made in Mexico..blah blah blah

thanks for the help guys!

2. mac762

mac762

Fake stuff is gay, sorry to say, hope I did not ruin your day. :) PS Sometimes fake tits are OK.

3. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

Hay Justin did you check part's for sale on the H.A.M.B. I will look around here in Florida. Going to Billetproof in Gainsville, i am sure they will have a swap area. Keep us posted on you'r build. PINCHER

4. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

Justin Little Wing has a pair of drum's in the H.A.M.B part's for sale for $200.00

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There always seems to be a few sets for sale in the classifieds.
    I bought a set of that sellers side covers for my Flathead Ford six and they are pretty much as they came out of the mold and will need a few hours of sanding and polishing to be up to snuff appearance wise but the price was good and he had them available.

I'm with the line of thinking on here that doing without is better than running fake anything. Hot rod wise anyhow. No one will razz you for running stock Ford drums on your rig but a set of fakes might just cause more than a little pointing and laughing at the first rod trot you show up with them on.

6. striper

striper

They only look like Buick drums to people who don't have Buick drums.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

seems like alot for some fake drum covers..well at least to me.

I bet a dollar they are so out of balance you will spend more to get them right than they would be worth, and than you end up with fake crap hanging on your wall as a lesson in what not to buy

8. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

the real deal

Attached Files:

9. Obsessedwithchop

Obsessedwithchop

Seen a set at turkey rod run show no price on them. I was a little scared to ask the price as with anything that usually has no price up front!

10. Andy

Andy

i also vote no. Did you see the thread about the 55 where the wheel came off? He was using spacers which these would be also. I could sell you some very nice ginnies for $250. Stock dia and no corrosion.

11. mac762

mac762

Not to steal the thread but this reminds me of a time I was a dumbass. I was buying some 3 1/2 slots from a pro scrapper. I looked at a Buick that he had on the trailer to scrap. Finned drums. I pointed them out to him, even though I was not into the traditional scene, I knew they were choice. He said, "Yeah, guys will give you like $15 for them." He said, "Fuck it." It was all strapped down and headed out, and giddy with my new wheel purchase I didn't go to the trouble to scab them. I kick myself in the ass every time this subject comes up.
    Someone is relining them now.

12. yeah I was just thinking I could get off a little cheaper going this route and not have to spend another $150 or more for Ford hubs and spindles and then get the backing plates drilled and all that

guess my question now is..how much did you guys spend total for your buick brake set-up if I went the real deal with some 45's

13. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Justin,
    A buddy of mine bought a set of fake Buick brake drum castings, Im not sure they were made in Mexico, but the castings were very rough where they mate up to your other drums, they would have been real thin after machining to true them up. Sounds like you got some pretty good deals goin on in this thread, just my opinion, get a genuine pair of Buick drums.
    Later,
    Billy

14. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

buy a set of spindle adapters from 29RAT and run the drums right on your stock brake assemblies and backplates. You may just have to have the drums cut at the inboard edge to clear the backplates. I cut to the 'groove' on the backside and everything fit perfect.
    Buick drums: $200
    29RAT adapters: $66
    Drums turned at local brakeshop: $100

Having Bitchin' brakes: PRICELESS

15. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Have you thought of using the Buick 90 fin. A hell of a lot cheaper and they cool better, plus I think they look better.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  16. yeah that was my first option, noticed theres a pretty big price diffrence..I'm a little more partial to the 45s the look a lil better to me but if I can find a nice set of 90s for a good price then I'll take that deal..I know its an oxy moron but I'm looking for it to look good, function good, but not break the bank just on brakes

17. so I found a set locally for $50 each, guy has 7 of them..a few looked alright most were pretty rough but heres what he said...guess I''m un sure what he means be re-surfacable

"I am not sure if they are re surfaceable or not, I have not had a chance to have them measured, there are not many places left around who offer brake drum resurfacing. Murrarys wants to sell you new China brake drums not help you reuse your original stuff"

18. alchemy

alchemy

I've read here that the Buick drums shouldn't be turned much past 12.060. Did the ones you bought measure close to that already?

Make sure you DO NOT turn the drums before you mount up your new hubs. The drums need to be turned after mounting to make concentric again.

19. 117harv

117harv

You just need to keep trying, i won a pair on ebay from memory lane wrecking for $87.50 + shipping. Keep looking and you will find a set...no fake ones please.

Here is a pic from the HAMB, keep searching there still out there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  20. wow theres some serious cash right there!

21. I didnt buy any yet, just found some on craigslist and emailed the guy and thats what he said is what I put in the quotes but I dont uderstand what he means

22. Get the real thing if you can-they work great!

23. Alfster

Alfster

Attached Files:

24. With all the gennies getting so old and out of spec, I've wondered for a while why someone doesn't re-pop OEM originals. Why did they go to the expense of making fakes when there is such a need for OEM style originals?

25. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

He's right. 90 fins are much cheaper and still look good. I have a decent pair that I'll sell for $125 plus shipping.

26. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

I paid....

$450. alum finned backing plates (ready to run with brakes)
    $50. 45 finned Buick drums from a junkyard
    $200. unaversal hubs with bearings
    Titus turned my drums for free

Total $700. everthing bolted in place with no problems!

The biggest thing to look out for when buying used alum drums is, that there isn't a lot of croshion between the drum and the lining. It could cause uneven surface of the brake lining.

Bob Wilson of, Wislon's Welding and Machine, out of Texas is gearing up to reproduce Buick drums. When? Check with him(he has a website), he is the King of vintage brakes.

90 fin are also cool!

:confused::rolleyes::cool:

27. thathotrodkid

thathotrodkid

real deal or not at all i wold run old stock parts b4 i bought some nock off

28. GaDOC

GaDOC
    from Harlem Ga

They are selling these on the SO-CAL web site for 375 just some info

29. studewoody

studewoody

be forewarned i bought an air cleaner and it was that rough i couldn't get close to polished. all there stuff is sand cast in mexico and i do mean rough

30. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

fake drums are just as bad as fake patina, or fake valve covers.