Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Classy Kustoms Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by BloodyKnuckles, Feb 4, 2008.

1. At last, some custom talk. :)

2. Ashcraft

Ashcraft
    from Colorado

[​IMG]

I was wondering today where Larry Purcell's '41 was. I was making the trophies for the PMI Auto Expos back then, Larry's '41 debuted at Expo 1981. Naturally, it took People's Choice.

The next year, we featured Larry's car on the etched brass dash plaques. First time ever we featured a local car on the dash plaques too, and it started a tradition.

I think I still have a handful of those dash plaques at the shop.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  3. I cant believe on this whole thread there were no Ayala customs besides Bettencourts 49. Would someone please do the honors (i dont know how to post.) and put a picture of Gil Ayals 40 merc on here. Also the very slippery streamlined 42 that was in life magazine.Both those cars are very deserving of this thread and silenced other cars of the era.

4. VanHorton

VanHorton

I have carson tops on my mind, and this is class at its best to me right now...

[​IMG]

the right balance of restraint and modifications...

[​IMG]

this is just great

[​IMG]

5. Here you go Jeff all from Riksters site.

Attached Files:

6. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

this is just great

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Wasnt this one in a magazine recently, article about the resto and the original first time builder who built the body from scratch?? I remember the article being mind blowing but cant remember the magazine since i have so many!!:confused:

7. Thank you so much!!!!!!! I guess there really isnt that many people that are fans of these cars. I dont get it. I have heard from a couple of reliable sources from back in the day that there were some people in the lynwood area at a certain shop that didnt like when these cars would come screaming by on Atlantic blvd. ( Yes they would scream right by, just incase you didnt know both of these customs HAULED ASS):cool:

8. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Wasnt this one in a magazine recently, article about the resto and the original first time builder who built the body from scratch?? I remember the article being mind blowing but cant remember the magazine since i have so many!!:confused:[/QUOTE]

Found it!!! ROD&KULTURE #20 " THE RAVEN " Great read!!!

9. HAHAHA. I love the Ayala's stuff. It is all so organic and flowing. I am guessing they didn't get as much coverage because they were probably Barris's closet competitors and to be fair to George it probably wouldn't be all that smart to promote your competition.

I do have to say though I think the Barris's did improve on some of the Ayalas work even if it was just subtle mods like on the Bettancourt Merc.

10. inkmunky

inkmunky

Found it!!! ROD&KULTURE #20 " THE RAVEN " Great read!!![/QUOTE]

beat me to it, it's amazing this car was pieced together i could only imagine the responses it would get if it was a build thread here!:eek:

11. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

12. VanHorton

VanHorton

awesome! thanks for sharing that... such a cool car

13. farmer12

farmer12

14. draginsteel

draginsteel

The Kustom is King of the Road!

15. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

X2! This is the best of the best. Everything about that car is pure perfection. There is nothing I don't like about it. The Ayala version was good but this is great. I wonder if will ever be found?

16. Man, You guys are awesome!!

I'm planning on another classy custom...a 1947 Lincoln Coupe. I hope to someday have it done and a pic here.

We'll see.

BloodyKnuckles

17. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

This is the best looking shoebox I have ever seen and I have seen a lot. I like how the pearl glows in the sunset :cool:.

18. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

19. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

This is definately one of my Favorite rides on the HAMB. This car rocks big time. If nothing else ever got done on it it would still forever be Badass!

20. 'Mo

'Mo

These Darrin/Packards should certainly qualify by that description:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Rikster

Rikster

Dave Lindsay took the photos of this one of the best looking Darrin Packards ever!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I'll agree with the "Assy" part. as for the car. it more than qualifies in my book. a bit Biased I guess but one of my all time favorite cars.

Eric

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  23. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

24. With metalsmithing coming on so strong could something like this could be possible ?
    We'd need creative glass makers. Or re-work the design ( I'd like to be able to split & narrow a Mopar 'screen.

Attached Files:

25. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, I’ve been trying to see if anyone can identify the clone that I’m building with no luck. I’ve had my thread on the main message board but it may be too general and what I am doing might be too specific. It’s a ‘50 ford coupe that was the car that captured me when I was a teenager and set the direction of my life.

The original builder was a so cal legend and the car was built in the area that is now called Kustomland. It had Lynwood at the upper boundary (this car was built in Lynwood) and Long Beach at the lower boundary. This area became known as the “hot bed” of hot rodding and custom cars. There were areas in N.Cal, the Midwest and the east coast, but Kustomland was the breeding ground that fueled all the other parts of the country. It was the little mags, Rod & Custom, Custom Cars, Hot Rod, Motor Trend etc. that told the Kustomland story. This car shared the same grass (outdoor car shows) with the Aztec, the Grapevine, the Kopper Kart, Bugarins Merc, Bettancoarts Merc, Zupans Merc. etc. As well as the pages (and the covers) of the aforementioned magazines.

Below is a few pictures and a link to my thread where there is additional information and many more pictures. Take a look at my thread and tell me what you think.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406588&highlight=late+introduction

Attached Files:

26. Rikster

Rikster

I just found this photo taken at the Starbird show set up by Twotallokie...

We need to see more

[​IMG]

27. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

that car is badass!

28. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Man thats nice! Find more pictures Rik!

29. I'm crusty- Rik that's a '40 Chevy yeh? Matranga-nized. Or maybe a Buick. Whatever, it's gonna look ace at night slidin' low.. man that's oooohh soo fine.
    Lovin' the stance & the pontoons.

Ace thread. The Darrins.. oh yeh..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  30. inkmunky

inkmunky

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447882