Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb confusion-strait 6 235

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MarkKoch, Feb 16, 2010.

1. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Ok here it is,I have a 48 stylemaster 3 spd with a 235(1953 block),848 head(56-62).You guys have been great sorting that out for me.I pulled the carb its a rochester single barrel,none of the serial numbers match on it.I want to replace it.I need to know what model I need,part number ect.Seems like who`m ever had the car before me,had a lot of parts from differant years and made them work,wich has left me hunting for info,not being able to match casting numbers ect.I want to be able to go to auto zone and tell them exactly what I need(I dont trust there knowledge in getting the correct carb)Thanx for your time

2. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Some (not all) of the Rochester B carbs have a four digit number stamped on the gasket surface of the base plate, like "9522". It's the last four digits of the carb's original tag number.....you know, the I.D. tag that got thrown away the first time someone had the top off of the carb. Clean the bottom of the base off and if there's a number there, we can figure out an exact application.

4. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

5. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I will pull it apart shortly and post the number,thanx

6. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Inside the carb is the number 7004510(near the float) on the outside 7003536-c-33 RP. Also the number 4519 near where the air cleaner would attatch

7. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

8. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

What do you suggest as a "real parts house".There are speed shops in the area,but they wont know any more than I do at this point.They all mess with newer cars and they do charge more for parts.I just want the info so I can just go where ever and purchase the carberetor and not depend on a counter person to help me figure this out.

9. Snarl

Snarl

10. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

There is a Chevy speed shop in Chicago. There are some old timers working there that know there stuff. Here is there info
    (773) 777-1818

3517 N Cicero Ave, Chicago, IL 60641

11. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Great! Thanks so much!

12. BC stands for Bull Crap, I think. If you can find a Carter YF for a Chevy six you'll be much happier. More horsepower, better economy, and less likely to leak. Some info on what numbers to look for over on Chevytalk.org -

13. Snarl

Snarl

14. here is the napa echlin rebuild kit part # 2-5158 $15 bucks. clean,clean,clean is the key and getting float set properly.

15. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

16. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

why do you want to replace it? Because it needs rebuilding? If that is it, then what you need is a carb rebuild kit. If you dont know how to install one, people here will be more than happy to help im sure.

If your carb is actually junk (not enough info, but if its cracked or rusted tight) then you can find a used one easily and rebuild it cheaply. I dont know this for sure, but from what I have reasoned out from this post, it seems that you are intimidated of rebuilding what you have. Dont be. These things are simple. If you had the mechanical inclination to remove this carb from the manifold yourself, then with some patience you can rebuild it on your own too.

Just buying a new carb because your existing carb needs to be rebuilt wont grab you much respect around here. Plus its a waste of money.

As far as autozone, I had no idea you could get a reman 50's 6 cyl carb over the counter at these new chains.

17. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Theres lots of rust inside all the small areas,Yes auto zone does have them,I was surprised to just didnt know what model i needed,Im not dead set on auto zone ,theres just one rite down the street,theres napa also.Im not afraid to rebiuld it at all-this car to me is so simple to work on compared what ive had in the past,newer cars with emmision,fuel injection can be a pain-thats what I love about what I got-I just dont have the knowledge yet-and thats why im here

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

19. 6inarow

6inarow

I agree. It aint that tough. Snow up to our elbows so you arent driving anywhere this afternoon.

Its only a potbelly Rochester. Either rebuild it or throw it in the trash and get another. Nothing wrong with learning something new

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I'll offer one more bit of advise

.................... just in case you don't know. ..................

Pick one with the choke you want, either automatic or manual.................

336647913_tp.jpg

345108710_tp.jpg

21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  22. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

23. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. :D Just have to listen, then move on.

That tech by turdferguson should help.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  24. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I think we got a litle of topic here,its not rebuildable .
    Its very rusty inside,and some parts are missing.No Im not afraid to rebuild it.I have done way more advanced installs/rebuilds on newer mustangs,now I wanted something unique so I seached and seached and got my 48.I dont think I know every thing,yes I can learn.I just needed the info on what I could replace it with,and I have gotn that info.Thanks to everyone who has taken there time to help me and answer my question

25. Snarl

Snarl

Keep in mind that there are two different size bolt patterns used on these over the years. Make sure you get the right one. carbs intended for the 216 were about 2 11/16" between the studs and the 235 is about 2 15/16" between.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  26. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

2 15/16'' it is,now Im ready to get one this week,thanks to everyone pitchn a lil info here and there

27. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Langdon in utica, mich deals in nothing but six bangers and he sells a good carb and adaptor , plus he sells gm hei's which really produce cruising speed power, well worth the money and he tells you all kinds of info.

28. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

This is very true. Tom Langdon could be of help. He's been an excellent source for me. http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/