Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drove the roadster today, almost froze

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JoeS, Feb 12, 2010.

1. JoeS

JoeS
    from Tennessee

Recently bought this car from a friend, less the motor/trans. I believe it's been on this site before. I put in a 350/powerglide, and just got it back on the road. I put the headers on it today, and couldn't help but drive it. Just couldn't wait till Spring. When it warms up I plan on putting some paint on it it, any other suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. scummy13

scummy13

Looks like fun, but you better do a intro.

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

OK,pertty neat,paint sounds great, but;suggestions?
    The windshield needs some work,looks heavy frame wise and too start up to me[don't like viser my self on roadsters. Need some nerf bars or something on back that kind of finish off the base of fins and rear. Nice insides would add a lot. The ackerman is screwed up on the front tie rod set up,EZ fix with longer rod and def arms.
    Some turnouts on EX would keep door paint better. Lower rad grill a littel would also help I think. Steeringwheel looks kind of small. Sealing up the floor and some rug are stuff you may of already though about.
    To me the 57 fenders and side/and door call for some chrome from a 57 belair side or something like it,would add nicely cuz there's no bead on door now.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Weld up all those 57 side trim holes. Ditch the visor. Get an insert in the radiator shell to hide the top tank of the radiator.
    Love that factory Ford tubular, popularly known as a 37 V8-60 axle, but that's been talked about. You're lucky to have one.
    Nice paint and interior and you'll have a slick little car to zoom around in.

5. the-rodster

the-rodster

Look like a rat's nest.

Rich

6. Anderson

Anderson

Don't take this the wrong way (is there a right way?), but geeeeez what a waste of that axle.

7. Is that a V8-60 front axle? Looks like it from the photos. The car has potential, but it will take the right components to make what's been started to bring it to a well balanced, atttractive hot rod.

8. Like Scummy13 said,,you should do an intro....

9. TERPU

TERPU

Welcome to the HAMB. It's a great place. Intro's are good to keep from getting scorched on the first one. The car is pretty cool with lots of neat stuff on it. The axle is a step above some of it but you can work all that out. Just enjoy it and drive the wheels off of it. When you get time and parts make it better. That's what all thi sis about.

Tim

PS- I saw a '29 roadster cowl section on the evilbay for cheap. that would go a long ways and solve all your windshield/visor delimmas. A chopped 'shield and some posts would be the cat's meow on that.

10. Suggestions....

Put some roadster-style windshield posts on it.
    Lower the radiator & shell & install an insert to hide the upper tank.
    Mount the rear of the wishbones to the lower edge of the framerails
    Put about a 4" column drop on it to get the wheel out of the air.
    Install a cut down '57 steering wheel.
    Install some '57 side trim.
    Install a cut down '57 rear bumper.
    Install a '57 air cleaner & valve covers.
    Install a '57 "spinner" hubcaps.
    Install a cut down '57 dash.
    Paint it a '57 color (turquoise maybe) & a '57-inspired interior.

...or you could just go buy a '57 Chevy.

JH

11. Please realize that you don't have a roadster, you have a coupster, and the first thing I would tackle is the windshield frame. The angles of the fins and windshield conflict with each other...looks like one car ran up another's ass. Flat black with red wheels has become cliche. Has potential..put your own stamp on it...enjoy driving it.

12. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

If you like it the way it is, leave it alone.
    It's certainly....uh, unique....one of a kind.....different.

"Look out, there's a monster coming"!!

13. gas pumper

gas pumper

Leather jacket, wool hat, gloves, work boots. Dress for the cold and it ain't so bad.

14. flathead okie

flathead okie

What Harrison said then add a cloth top

15. woodman

woodman

I like it. I love the yellow head lights. Maybe they are an illusion.

16. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

OOPS! JoeS, you gave yourself away. You're probably a great guy, but no real car guy ever said he "almost froze" when driving his rod. Never. If you noticed the cold.... maybe open cars aren't really your calling. I'm just saying....

We saw a windowless shell of a '50s car being towed with a chain on the Loop. The temperature must have been near thirty. A lady in our back seat commented, "He must be freezing."

Mrs. R., long time car nut, replied, "No he's not!"

Apparently the lady in back had missed the grin plastered all over the guy's face.

17. Scarynickname

Scarynickname
    from Toney, Al

I do believe I saw you in Hazel Green today! Turning out onto 231/431.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That reminds me of the 27T that JD Fikes built in Waco about 1975 and used the cut down back end of a 55 Chev for a turtle deck. He drove the car to Memphis that year and caused a bit of an uproar with it.

Clean up the scabs on that car and it will be a fun little rod.

19. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Kinda seems like he did. ;)

20. I dig it. Keep driving it, even if it gets chilly. They sell really nice neoprene face masks for snowmobiling, they work great. I'm not saying it's gonna be like driving in July, but frostbite SUCKS! Cover up and enjoy.

21. JoeS

JoeS
    from Tennessee

Yeah, I drove up to Fayettville. It was nice to finally open it up a little on the highway.

22. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I saw this car at the 411 Drag Strip 4 years ago. We all can't be as cool as "the Rodster" thinks he is... it's a start. Have fun with it.

23. JoeS

JoeS
    from Tennessee

Thanks, I plan on it.

24. the-rodster

the-rodster

Well, that was uncalled for, but now that you mention it, you probably can't be.

Rich

25. skwurl

skwurl

Yea but he knows me so that more than makes up for it.

26. 63dan63

63dan63

You big baby. I went for a 40 mile drive last Saturday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a blast!

27. What a blast![/QUOTE]

Man, we don't have any snow and you do! And we're having the "Winter Olympics right now too. :D That looks like a blast, and that is one fine ride.

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You asked for suggestions, so expect some shit! LOL! Actually, these guys aren't bein' hard on you at all. (except for the rodster...that was uncalled for) My suggestion would be...to heck with the looks for now. Concentrate on function...the mechanicals. The main thing I see is one of the things that Harrison mentioned...moving the rear of the wishbones lower. I'm thinkin' that if your front axle has a good caster-angle, (I hope it does) then those bones are fighting it, and causing some bind. That'll really effect smooth suspension-travel. The rear mounting point of the wishbones has to be at a 90 degree angle to the mounting pad/spring/axle inclination. Otherwise, as the suspension compresses, your bones are trying to push your axle forward. After a while, it could even break something. Good luck, and welcome to the hamb.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  29. gaskell

gaskell
    from CO

It takes a special kind of person to won an open car! one with no thermostat....

30. i think yourve got the start of a real cool ride. it would look great as a 60s style rod/custom.
    a little flake, rear cut 57 bumper and some chrome, screen posts laid back a little to match tail lights, grille shell level with cowl and some radair wheels, but thats cosmetics. concentrate on making it a great runner first and drive the piss outa it. i like it.