Register now to get rid of these ads!

Overseas buyers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Razorshotrods, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Hey all, i just sold my 55 to a guy in the Netherlands, he has paid deposit thru paypal and has said he will have a shipping company from cali call me. He wonder if it is okay to pay the trucking company and have them pay me the balance. Does this sound right?

2. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

3. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

the trucking company is TITAN INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING.
    the 1000 paypal deposit has been verified?

4. dbradley

dbradley

I would think that there would be a broker involved to do the Customs paperwork, etc. Normally they would also handle the payment. (All for a fee of course) Some of the larger shipping companies provide FULL service. Titan doesn't mention the 'handling of money' on their site. Guess you could call them.

http://www.titanship.com/

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

E-mail him back and tell him cash only,i hope his name isn"t dennis dweldeck,but for sure sounds like another lowlife scammer i ran across the same deal with paypal and this method of scam.

6. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Make sure you get your money, after you have been paid- Money in your account or cash in hand. Then let him have his new truck. Keep it simple. If it sounds confusing your about to get screwed

7. shonky

shonky
    from Norfolk UK

I would have thought it would have been easier for him to pay you for vehicle and shipping , then ask you to pay the transporter when they collect !
    I would not let them touch your vehicle until you have moneys cleared !
    unless they give you cash !

8. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Why does he have to pay the trucking company and have them pay you ?

You are not selling your car to the trucking company.

WAKE UP ! !!!!!!!!!!

Tell him the car and title go nowhere until YOUR ACCOUNT has cash - and everything has been cleared.
    If he is paying for freight - tell him to send the money to you and you will pay the freight comapny to ship it where ever he wants.

If he says he doesn't trust you then you have your answer that there is no trust in this deal.

I don't care what PAYPAL has verified.

Tell him to make payment to YOU- cash in your account and the car/title doesn't leave until doing so.

Good Luck.

Cob

9. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

I rcieved the deposit. I have opened a new bank account for the wire transfer. I have told him the trucking company can pay me via wire but will not release until funds are verified thru my bank. I have also asked for his contact informaion and phone number to contact him over the phone.

10. brad chevy

brad chevy

did you read paypals so called security,they put the money in your account,you turn vehicle over,buyers renigs on deal and paypal gives money back,also they have a waiting period for you to get your money.you did say 55 so to me 55 means cash,so get it in your pocket then say goodby to car!

11. 73super

73super

ya kind of know how this is all going to turn out... but you hope just this once it's legit ...

12. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

the guy just sent me his full name birthdate and address? he wants more pics and questions about truck, does this sound good?

13. shonky

shonky
    from Norfolk UK

I know first hand how hard overseas transactions are, there has to be a lot of trust on both sides, talking on the phone is the best bet .
    Even if this means him staying up until the early hours of the morning , so he can talk to you when you get in from work. this will also tell you how keen he is.

14. brad chevy

brad chevy

Get him to call you and you"ll know for sure ,but don"t sit by the phone and get to old waiting.there will be more emails on how hes wants you to help him out,remember you are selling the car.

15. williebill

williebill

Got a really bad feeling about this one..Make it simple...money in your hand before any arrangements are made for shipping...not paypal,no cashiers check,no voodoo shit....cash...
    Even though you want/need to sell it..don't get screwed...
    Your paypal deposit?? Any way that could go up in smoke??
    I thought so..
    Slow the deal down,get your money safely and securely..then let it go..

16. Man your fuckin nuts ! give him back his 1,000 bucks and tell him to go F^ck himself!

17. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

Can you say SCAM !

18. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

just got off the phone with him and it all sounds good. told him nothing leaves until funds are verified.

19. shonky

shonky
    from Norfolk UK

it's good to talk :D

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  20. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Ask him to do a bank to bank transfer. I did this recently on an overseas sale. It was easy as could be. Your bank should have info on how to do it. The fee on my end was a whopping $10! Compare that to PayPal. The money is wired directly from his bank to your bank account. It can take a couple of days to clear.

Kurt O.

21. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

if the shipping company pays you upfront, on the empty acount you have, i dont see a problem! i normally let my shipping company do all the paperwork, and the money transfer. its faster to have a international company do that, than use a local bank.
    but ask the guy for a name and a number at TITAN.
    if its in my nabour hood..let him call me, i'll gladly check this out for you!
    -palle
    denmark

22. mrdodge

mrdodge

From my point of view, if I was buying a car in the States, I would get on the plane, come over and do the deal in person. Sure it might cost me more in terms of money and time but you do the deal in person and there is no doubt in anybodys mind with regards to vehicle condition, colour of your money etc. Just my 2 cents worth :)

23. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Can't see why it is a problem. He has paid $1000 to your Paypal account.
    Get that money out and in your hands, then have the shipping company pay
    you the balance upon picking the vehicle up. What is the problem?

He trusts you to be honest with the deal and to have a proper car and you
    do not have to trust anyone. You are the one that is safe, not him. But make
    sure it is cash and also talk to him about the bill of sale etc.

J.B.

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

He wonder if it is okay to pay the trucking company and have them pay me the balance. Does this sound right?

provided the trucking company pays in cash. then you only have to worry about your paypal deposit getting stolen by paypal.

25. Be very careful.....trusting people make great targets!
    Fictitious names and addresses, untraceable phone numbers, an empty lot for a pickup address etc etc...there are lots of good reasons for paranoia.
    Unfortunately you cannot go by a mans word and a handshake any more, you got to have it nailed down.
    The vehicle should not leave your house untill you have all the money in your personal acct, if he's genuine he'll be happy to wait.

26. nutrocker

nutrocker

The way I see it he is just trying to protect himself a bit. Buyers get scamed too and buying a car without seeing and sending someone you don't know big $$ is asking for trouble. He's paid the deposit, wait till that clears fully then contact the transport company. They will be holding the money for him untill ready then they will either pay money and collect when funds are clear or come and collect with cash. It's just his way of making sure there is a car there and he's not just sending money to someone who's put up a couple of pics pinched from the internet and going to do a runner with his money.
    You have nothing to lose as long as you don't let anyone take the car until you have all the funds either in cash or cleared funds.

I have been involved in a couple of overseas car buys and had a lot of trouble with one of the sellers. Paid the money then he wouldn't release the car, even asked on here for some help and was given good advice. Got the car in the end but it took a fair bit of time, then he wouldn't let me have the title. In the end I had to pay to have the car stored in So-Cal for 6 weeks while I tried to get the title sorted and only got it by tracking him down through the internet and finding he worked at a realestate company so I phoned his boss and told him about the lying cheat he had working for him. The title was post marked 20 mins after the call.

Pete

27. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

I feel much better after speaking directley with him, I still am optomistic about peoplein this world I justed wanted to hear about others experiences as it is my first one sold overseas. Thanks for all the input.

28. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

cash !!!!!!!!!!!! nothing else works for me!

29. bills49merc

bills49merc

I sell a number of cars over sea,s with out any trouble.I recommend not taking a paypal deposit but have the buyer wire the money into an account with no money in it, coming from the netherlands can take 4 or 5 days so don,t panic, once the money is in, take it out.Usually a broker is involved on the coast to assist in export.