Register now to get rid of these ads!

NOS 41 Merc block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Van Dyke, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

An interesting item on that E thing. 110494010479

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well the price makes that hundred dollar wonder I have out in the garage a lot more interesting as far as being willing to make the repairs it needs.

I just wonder if the deck can be cleaned up enough to hold a gasket.

That puppy looks a bit rough.

I'll bet he gets a bit excited when all the sudden three hundred people are watching that block though.

3. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

I should probably add "I've got no dog in that hunt!!" Not connected in any way to the seller. I'm kind of curious how you would fix that deck. An expensive experiment!

4. George G

George G

JB weld to the rescue!

5. Andy

Andy

Makes the one I have for sale look like a bargain at $200???

6. banjorear

banjorear

Well, I truly wish him all the best in this auction.

IMHO not sure why someone would even think of paying $2,800 for that block when a little beating of the bushes will most certainly net you something simular (more than likely a complete engine) for a fraction of what he is asking for this block.

Standard bore isn't that big of deal. Looking at the condition of this block, it will need to be rebored anyway. 3 out the 4 blocks that I was lucky enough to find are still standard bore. The 4th is .010 over.

If it was still in the crate, stored in drier climate & still dripping in cosmoline or a NOS 59Z block then maybe $2,800.

It has got some heavy rust pitting not only in the decking and intake surface but in the cam shaft gallery/tunnel/what ever that would be called.

My $2,800 says he'll still have it in 5 days.

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Interesting these keep coming up. I am in an area that had several airbases in WWII and I have found and used two new 59L blocks that guys had stashed in this area. If I was going to spend that kind of money, go to SF Flatheads for one of the French blocks. I've got one laying around I've never used, yet.

8. banjorear

banjorear

I was going to say the same. I didn't want to start up the rants by the anti-French block guys. Yawn if you know what I mean.

9. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

As long as the SCTA disallows new and French blocks the old ones will be desirable.

After finding bad lower end cracks in the only block I had at the time.
    I paid $1000.00 for this block.
    That was already.
    Clean………(baked & tumbled)
    Maged
    Presser checked
    Machined… (bored …decked…cam bearings…drilled for full flow)
    Guaranteed
    I think it was well worth it.

[​IMG]

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If you've been watching ebay regularly you know this economic downturn hasn't affected the price of stuff we want and need to any great extent. The good stuff is still going up and the trash is still selling for way over reasonable prices. When a '32 25 louver hood needing repair goes for over $6000 you know the money is still out there.

Frank

11. banjorear

banjorear

I agree and I think that was my point in my initial post. Spending $2,800 on that block in the E-bay + the $1,500/2,000 it is going to take in machine work to get it ready to be assembled, makes the block you purchased a bargin.

I think if someone was hell bent on spending $2,800 on a NOS block then the French block is a better option IMHO. The guy who is going to buy the block on E-bay is probally not going to run on the salt or any sanctioned event.

If don't think it cost $1,500-$2,000 to clean/machine/balance, etc. a stripped down flathead block and all of your parts than you either have the machines to do all of the needed operations in your own house/garage or you haven't built a flathead in the past 2 years.

I was a bit shocked on how much it took to get the block 100% ready for the rebuild. I am also doing all of the labor of installing parts, smoothing the casting, and porting.

These things are expensive when doing a hi-po build and need to be done right.

That block on E-bay is far off from being ready to go by any means.

12. banjorear

banjorear

Frank:

I read a great little article in the Sat. NY Times that speaks to this. The recent economic down turn is no way near the Great Depression in terms of effecting the overall US population.

In fact, those folks who made big money before are more than likely still making big $$ and maybe even some additional for they are smart enough (or know enough smart advisors) to position themselves to make money in the market during both the long and the short term.

Until unemployment hits the 25% mark like it did in the Great Depression, there are folks who still have money and are looking to spend it.

One year ago buying parts were somewhat better and prices seemed to be more in line. Presently, things have shaken out enough that if you weren't affected chances are you won't be.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010