Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Very Kool, wild 50 Chevy project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Jan 8, 2010.

1. roddinron

roddinron

I've been thinking a lot about this car, and if there is any way to make that roof work. My daughter had a camaro once, and I HATED that car, so I thought maybe that was affecting my judgment. So, since there's 30" of snow out there, and "Fast and Furious 2" is on, so watching TV is out, I figured I'd play around in Photo shop, just for the hell of it. Hope no one minds

First, I changed the wheel opening, then the deck lid, and tried a small '70 type rear window.

[​IMG]

Then, I figured I'd try opening up the camaro quarter window

[​IMG]

Too much Camaro for my taste, so I tried a different shaped quarter window, it could be a slide in

[​IMG]

Then, I figured I'd try the small window with it, and here's how that looked

[​IMG]

In the end, I concluded what I'd thought all along, it's going to be really hard to shake that Camaro image, and I just keep wondering why he chose it. Personally, I still like the original roof better. But, I'm not bashing, it IS his car, and he did dare to try something different.

2. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

The last photochop is a Beauty! Build it.

3. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Wow thats alot of work i can appreciate that for sure. Im confused not really my taste but i do appreciate creativity, so id definately like to see this thing once its finished!

4. 73super

73super

I think the only thing I'd change (and I love it by the way) is the front wheel wells.. I'd angle the back of them at a 45 or whatever angle the back wells are set at to help the flow... but if left alone it's still too cool and after all is finished and painted this thing is going to hit the streets as a major contender! I love seeing somebody pour this kind of work into a car... this will be a keeper for generations down the line. Looks very nice, squatty and fat... love it! Good job. Don't take the criticism too harsley.. everybodies a critic... You're fine just the way it is!

5. 73super

73super

When somebody puts this much work into something back em up.. give em credit... encourage... don't tear down. Cold man.. cold.:mad:

6. i agree, some people only want to keep doing the same thing over and over and over. no origanality.. i say f em

7. edweird

edweird

yep thats it, now fix the hood.

8. edweird

edweird

i do appreciate the enormous amount of work and talent it takes to do something like this. BUT,if it gets posted on here, well....... yall know what i mean. you gotta have thick skin!

9. chevyshack

chevyshack

I agree. I think the camaro rear window looks kinda cool. Its definitly differnt and will stand out. Unlike all the other squared rear window 50"s cars that everyone else has. Some people cant get out of their box. Even if you tear them a hole in it they"ll be affraid to come out.

10. kookee

kookee

Very cool. A lot of late nights right there!

Good luck and keep the progress shots coming!

11. NuzzyFipples

NuzzyFipples

YOUR CAR IS AWESOME.

I'm so jealous.

12. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

not my style,but very nice work.would like to see some progress pictures.

13. bobjob55

bobjob55

looks like he spent quite some time planning it .. he dosn't have to please everybody ..... just himself ....... skirt or on skirt ,,,,, pink ,, jade green ,, shiny ,, flat or satin .... it don't matter .... i like it ,,, but I MIGHT have made a few changes ....... maybe not ...i think it's cool and can't wait to see it finished ..
    when i go to car shows ,, i usually pass over the cookie cutter cars and look at the ones that have a lot of thought put into them ....... this is the type of custom that i'm looking at ..

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  14. glassguy

glassguy

its a wild custom! if there was a hamb in the 50s some may have responded negetively to the aztec! there is sooo much work into this car.. and for the ppl that dont like the back glass i think will change your mind when its done, and the aluminum moldings around the glass are all buffed out like chrome.. i cant wait to see this progress !!!

15. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Kinda resembles one of those studebaker coupes, not sure what year im talking about. They had the 50's lines, than somewhat of an angular roof line. I dig it with the quarter window that resembles the hard top.

16. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

I like 50 Chevys.
    I like cutting up Camaros.
    I hereby give this an A+ :)

17. AntiBling

AntiBling

Honestly the back window works well IMO but the side windows really kill it for me and the mis-matched wheel well openings. The back window reminds me of a 54 back glass. I like what you did here.

Noticed the old ND plate on the front, any back story on this?

18. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Cool wild custom but you need some changes on rear side windows for get it look better and on the camaro rear window

19. roddinron

roddinron

I kind of agree with you on this one. It almost looks like a chopped hard top. It would be less work than adding the smaller camaro window pictured in the last version.
    Here's another quick one with skirts
    [​IMG]

20. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

What happened to the Camaro?.... I like Camaros.... I really like 70's Camaros!! Poor Camaro...

I think to make it look better (still not "right" in my mind" but better) The wheel wells need reworking, I'd rework the side window openings, with a quarter window like above, I think I'd go for a bigger headlight, smoosh the hood down a bit, rework the trunk, and I think like someone metioned above a Caddy bumper with the big tits would be cool... A poncho "silver streak" would be cool too..

Anyway, I'm sure it won't look horrible when painted, but with the changes everyone has mentioned it would look even better...

But I still can't stop thinkin' about the poor Camaro... I really want one ot put a nasty 455 Olds in... It would be soooo bitchin'....

21. skwurl

skwurl

hard top it with a small quarter window would get rid of the camaro look in it. I like just fine though

22. I've seen a Camaro roof used on a custom before, looks good to me and I like the backglass...its got me going, wondering what a Buick Riveria "boat tail" backglass would look on the same application.
    Customs can make you dream.

23. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I respect the work put into it,but something needs to be done about the roof and hood.

24. roddinron

roddinron

Alright, I hurt my freakin' back shovelin' snow, so I'm back. This time I pancaked the hood.

[​IMG]

25. skwurl

skwurl

Looks like a monte carlo quarter window. I think it needs more arch

26. roddinron

roddinron

I know, I did it quick, imagine it with the window I did on the other view, my back hurts.:cool:

27. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

Good hands, bad taste in cars. :confused:

28. You guys are forgetting that this has a Camaro roof, that means the pillars are curved and can't allow these door/quarter window configurations in which can only be done in flat glass. I know, I use to be a autoglass guy.
    The Camaro's original curved doorglass has to be used if you want a door glass. Also, the Camaro door glass is tempered, so you can't cut or grid it for a custom application.
    Another thing, some how you got to figure out the Camaro's door glass mechanisms (regulators, channels, etc.) to adapt inside the 50 Chevy's door.
    There's a possibility of fabricating some kind of quarter window, separate from the Camaro window (small pillar dividing the two windows?)

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

How about one of those Buick Riveria roofs, the ones that mimicked the Corvette coupe from '63-'67. I think that would take the "too long" look of the roof away and make it look less flattened in that area.
    I also agree that the wheelwells need drastic attention to flow with each other.

Frank

30. roddinron

roddinron

I think the solution to the quarter window is to find something close, at least in the leading edge, then channel the back part into the c pillar. That's why I said earlier that it would probably have to slide in.
    Nothing difficult is ever easy.