Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Very Kool, wild 50 Chevy project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Jan 8, 2010.

1. hvychvy

hvychvy

I think it looks pretty damn cool.I'd like to see it with the changed front fender radiuses,please keep us updated!!

2. I'd love to see it in primer.

3. Shamedevil

Shamedevil

I think it would look much better with a 61-2 vette trunk,small one looks like it doesn't belong there.......JMO

4. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I've thought about this car all day.

I love the originality and the out of the box thinking, yet the back window is still too out-there in my book. I picked out the Camaro roof instantly. That thing sticks out like a sore thumb. I think with the right paint and some very nice finish work (as well as skirts) this car could be very nice.

I second the Pontiac hood trim- I'd hate to see this car end up monochromatic.
    Just a little brightwork here and there would really set it off.

I like it today, but if the right things are done to the car to finish it off, I could really really like it. Good Job!

5. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

is this made by the southpark guy that got banned?

6. hotflint

hotflint

I do like the originality of this car.

If I was to give construtive critism, The roof needs more crown, I actually like the rear glass but it doesnt flow into the trunk. I dont like the small trunk lid, it looks like the boot on a brit car, it would look alot better if it was bigger and the lines followed the taper of the body. I really like the bubble top style rear wheel wells but for the fronts I would probably bring the front of them back a little and round them off a bit too square for me.

I like the scoops, what are you using for the shiny stuff in them? I really like the idea of the pontiac trim on the hood. I really like the pontiac bumper and what you did for tail lights. Did you fab those lights or what are they? I dont like it with the skirts in the photoshop pics, when its painted it will hide all the fab you did back there. I absolutely love the grill and front end treatment, its fantastic!

Thank you for posting these pics so that we can all appreciate the thought and work put into these wild customs!

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that car grows on ya.

8. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

9. I've been by Rick's a few times to look at this (as well as his other) project. It is unbeleiveable the work that has gone into the building of this car. Rick's imagination and talent seems to have no end. He has built this car (and others) while holding down a full time job that requires him to be out of town a lot and just works on it in his spare time.
    Keep up the good work Rick.
    Later,
    Dick

10. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

so other than what's listed, its pretty much stock huh?

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

lets see some detail shots.

12. brandonwillis

brandonwillis
    from Tucson AZ

cool idea, im not really into the rear glass though.

13. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having a 51 fleetline in mid build, I see some lines that I do not agree with. When you get to the profile shot at the the rear of the car, you see the trunk with it's own set of lines. Then you see the wheel opening with it's own set of lines. Then you look at the rear of the rear fender and you see the harsh line where the fender meets the tail light area which has it's own set of lines. While very cool, there doesn't seem to be a coordinated effort for the car to flow as one at the back.
    I am very impressed with the balls it took to do all the mods.
    just my 2 cents

14. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

15. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I have looked hard and i just cant get into it at all,the roof doesnt flow and the rear wheel wells dont flow with the front.The front end is to snub nosed.Sorry ,the metal work is great but it doesent do it for me.

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

not feeling it personally. i can't get past the roof and windshield. proportions aren't right to me. but that's just me. i can appreciate the amount of work and craftsmanship that went into it though.

17. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man i like it. But i have been called a idiot on here before. Love your metal skills and your ability to use what you have. A + in my book.

18. roddinron

roddinron

I like the front. I wouldn't section the hood, I like to see a custom look like it's crawling up out of the ground, and that bulbous hood followed by the tapered rounded windshield works to my eye.
    It loses me in the back half though. The trunk is Terrible (sorry), the rear window corners just don't flow into the design, the rear wheel wells are interesting but too long and open behind the wheel, it just doesn't close in the wheel enough, one reason you see so many customs with skirts in the first place.
    I do like the rear treatment, bumpers and tail lights.
    Even with my criticism I generally actually like it, it's different, and I gotta give credit for all the work it took, and for thinking outside the box, that box gets pretty small and confining sometimes here on the HAMB.

19. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Go Man Go! Thats gonna be bad ass and everyone will be eating crow when it's all said and done. I love to see oddball Kustoms. Get er done.

20. Either the top should be a tad longer (over the side windows, so it has some small quarter windows), or the body needs to be sectioned a bit. Like the grille area though.

To make 49-52 Pontiac hood trim work on this hood you'd have to redo the widening to lower it about an inch, that's how the factory Pontiac hoods came. Makes it a pain in the ass to remove that trim from one.

21. barnescole

barnescole

may look different when primered in, but i'm not diggin the little headlights. i like the car overall though!

22. I love the car, but I cant get over the rear window....should be smaller or different wrap around style. Im with Brandy, as soon as I read about the roof type, that's all I can see in the car.

Great Skills!!!! Cant wait to see it finished.

23. helmsville

helmsville

24. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

hamber steelsmith has a simlar project! i'll hafta convince him to upload some pics!
    Very nice really cool ideas!

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Widened 7" at the cowl. No engine/steering clearance issues on this one! LOL! This car is gonna look a lot better when it's in one color I think. Didn't see if he's gonna use a front bumper, but that'd help to give the front some length. I say put a big Caddy "Dagmar" bumper on there. That'd be tits.

26. Swede64

Swede64

Looks like great fabrication skills in the photos. But i have a hard time with the roof. I once had a 77 Camaro (not much of a Camaro fan) as a daily driver and i can´t shake the bad vibes when i see the roof. Would be interesting to see it in primer though.

27. farmer12

farmer12

Looking good! How about some more pics. Good luck with the build.

28. edweird

edweird

I LIKE THIS CAR, but the hood worries me. its to blunt.needs to flow like the rest of the car. with every else done on it, the hood looks like its off of a cabover truck. just my 2 centz worth.

29. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

As Slider mentioned in an above post, I too have gone down this path! It's inspirational to see someone else who can think outside the accepted norms of Kustomizing and do more than a drawing. There's a lot of metal work going on here that is not visible.
    This is motivating me to get back out in the shop and Finish some of the projects I have started, which is a mighty list! Ha

The design comments that have been mentioned are valid as to continuity of the design. I found that flattening the hood profile a bit allowed the flattened Camaro roof line to match up better.
    The rear decklid being made out of the original roof skin really changes the back of the car. I actually used the original deck lid, I just rotated it down until it looked right, rotated the back quarters too. It took a lot of rotation to get there. That may be where people are having trouble with the back-end lines.

I do like the general idea alot! I also have to agree that there are some things that interupt the flow of what you have accomplished. Good luck on addressing those issues, if you chose to do so.
    I'm inspired by your vision, and wish I had someone local who was as into the possibilities of 'new' thoughts on old Kustoms, and wanted to work with me seeing just how far out and weird things can get!

Congradulations on the work you have done so far!
    Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

30. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

i think half the people that posted on this thread need glasses! damn thats ugly.