Register now to get rid of these ads!

Love is.......The Feburary Banger Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Feb 2, 2010.

1. flyin-t

flyin-t

Until about 2 years ago Dan Iandola owned the tooling for the Jenkins heads. He still has his lakester too.

2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

A friend (in victoria) of mine's father had one years ago - I wonder if he still has it????

3. wayneat

wayneat

The patterns are now owned by Dean Robertson in South Dakota. The last time I talked to him they were for sale, along with all his casting equipment. He has developed a bad back and can't physically do the castings. He had several sets of castings, but I think all are sold now.

4. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Thanks fellas. I have just been informed about Dean Robertson and am awaiting his contact details.

Hey Stovebolt, I did a bit of investigating and found there is a Jenkins head somewhere in Vic. but it has the name 'DICK' cast onto it. Know anything about this one?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  5. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

Hey guys can anyone help me decide which head and electronic ignition would be best. Pro & Con

Brumfield 5.9:1, Lion 6.5:1, Snyder 5.5:1, Cast Iron Head, 14mm or 7/8 Plugs

Pertronix Ignitor II or NewRex ,12 volt System Mallory Dizzy

The engine has been rebuilt some years back Stock with Model B cam
    I plan to use 2 Model B updraft Carbs or a Stromberg 97 or Holly 94
    Bored .060 over, Babbit bearings. Less than 3500 miles.

Thanks

6. Wildfire

Wildfire

I'm using the FSIgniton pertronix on mine. Give Mel a call and he'll fix you up with whatever you need.

7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Yeah - I remember that one.

It was made by a guy in Rowville - Doug Charter - the guy who built the narrowed red T modified with Model A mill - you probably remember that car when it was in either Larry's or Eddie's magazines. I used to go to his shop and check it out when it was being built.

I never had the money to buy that car when it came up for sale - bugger it all.

As fas as the head - I don't know what ever happened to it.

BYW - when I was in LA in september I saw a pr of V8 heads with Dick cast into them too - these were sharp heads rebadged.

8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I was looking at one of these units, so Iwas wondering how it performs.

I don't want to run a mechanical advance on a banger - thinking of trying to get the Mrs to drive a hot rod - will this dizzy do it for me - its advances to 29* - is that enough, given you have to have 10* per 1000 rpm?

I just got in from popping the head off the banger I bought at the local swap meet last weekend - yes it turns, no lip on the bores, and no stuck valves.

looks like I got me a winner this time :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  9. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I remember that little red T. I took a photo of it at a show in Dandy many moons ago. Does Doug still live in Rowville? That's only 20 minutes from me.

10. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Winfield carbs were finished in bronze, there was a shop near Winfield's place that bronzed baby shoes, he had them done there, to preserve the pot-metal castings.

11. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

The patterns are now owned by Dean Robertson in South Dakota. Not sure if he is making any? His e-mail is [email protected]. When Dan ran the engine itd was only 7:1 compression, maybe less? Jim Brierley here.

12. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

So I found the old thread on timing- it was a huge help. anyone have any last minute advice before I try and set timing on my banger and get her rolling?

and dont mind the plug wires- they are done and in the right 1243 order I think- so long as I have the enginr at tdc ( which i think it is)

but I got the speedster down to 4 fusesd circuits!woot!

Attached Files:

13. 1930 vicky

1930 vicky
    from England,UK

I was thinking about buying an FSI distributor when I come over, does anyone know if these units are reliable or should I just get dual point mallory ?

14. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I haven't seen him for some time - I'd hit the white pages and see if he's still there. Its might actually be Scoresby - in an estate on the East side of Stud road, somewhere near the old brick works.

15. I have one Gator... if I decide to sell, I'll let you know.

16. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I'm running a FSI distributor in mine and I love it. I would definitely recommend it.

17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

On an A or B engine, you can verify TDC with the pin on the front timing cover.

18. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thanks Dan, I want this banger powered car to be as easy as possible to drive, trying to get the little lady to drive it may prove to be fun ;)

Now to figure how too make the starter go by key ........

19. 1930 vicky

1930 vicky
    from England,UK

My vicky is "on the key" take off the starter swich on the top of the starter and tap the contact button , screw in a stud,connet the starter cable to this and then to an aftermarket starter solenoid,connect the solenoid to the battery and use an ordinary ignition switch to activate it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those distributors sound good I might have to bring one home with me !
    Thanks for the advice guys.

20. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Thanks Jim,

A gentleman from Minnesota got in touch and gave me the contact details to Dean and a couple of guys also from Minnesota who both have one.
    I'd like to find some info about this head and i'm curious know to what speeds were acheived in the lakester. I understand there were some troubles in '86.

Thanks mate.

21. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thanks for the info on starting a banger, I will follow your advice. Cheers

22. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Any one have a link for using Chevy pistons in a banger. I don't like the price for ROSS pistons $110 each + rings. My block is stock deck hight now but I will do a clean up cut on it .005-.010 my bore is .100 over now
    thanks for any info I will go back to searching the old banger meets (I did 06 and 07)
    Bill

23. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

How about some pics of HARMONIC BALANCERS on some bangers. Looking at the flywheel pics I saw one mounted inside the fly wheel so it got me thinking. I am thinking more of mounting one in front but I will look at all. Looking at my car I will have to cut the front crossmember not a big fan of that but O well
    Thanks Bill

24. Is your frame a 28 with the solid front mount?

25. A timing cover pin hole location is TDC, B timing cover hole is 19 crankshaft degrees BTDC.

26. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

My car is a Late 31 Bill...

27. Why do you think you need to modify the frame? The dampener I use only requires the use of a split 32 after market type.

28. This is from Taylor Engine. It requires a split 32 aftermarket or similar mount

[​IMG]

29. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Thanks Bill I love looking at all your pics. What is the DIA. of the dampener?
    thanks Bill

30. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Taylors dampener is 61/8 I found one at Sacramento Vintage Ford made by Winfield.
    My buddy has some old Bush North small block parts and he went to a new smaller dampener I can get his old ones cheep and just make a new hub for it but I did not ask the DIA.

Just Pain Bill I did not see any rubber pads in your pics for the split mount to set on. How thick would they be...

Thanks Bill

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010