Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early hurst history - trivia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dennis kirban, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Have some of the Shocks NOS,,sadly the boxes are gone :(

2. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

I have nothing on the shocks....unfortunately, when I was accumulating my Hurst stuff many items just did not interest me back in the day.

Probably mentioned it before but I let a lot of Mopar related items get thrown out as I concentrated on GM only. It's true most of us get smarter as we get older....

Have to find it somewhere I got some sort of cartoon advertisement they were doing or going to do on air shocks....

[email protected]

3. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

I run this same thread on another unrelated car forum...on that other forum someone has responded on the Hurst golf balls. Somewhere on this forum you can see the photo of the Hurst golf balls. I think I showed a single golf ball I also have a 3 pack still in the original box.

Anyhow, this person responded a few years ago when he was cleaning 32,000 golf balls he found one of the Hurst balls.....the golf course is in eastern PA....so may have been used by some of the Hurst suit & tie guys....one ball out of 32,000.....

Kinda like hitting the lottery....they always claim someone will win...........

[email protected]

4. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

This photo shows the various packaging Hurst used with their T handles. We will have another photo at some point showing still other packaging. Also some subtle changes as some will read Hurst-Campbell later ones will simply read Hurst. So you can see that Hurst used different packaging throughout the run of T handles back in the day. These would be late 1960s early 1970s.

[email protected]

[​IMG]

5. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

This is an interesting piece you can tell by the format it is a very late Hurst ad. By late, I mean 1980s time frame. Late being for the Warminster location prior to Mr Gasket moving operation to Ohio.

This never saw completion as you can tell. Different ad approach for Hurst.

enjoy

[email protected]

[​IMG]

6. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

Here are two small famous decals Hurst made. You seldom see the 3 speed version. To my knowledge originals came only in this color. I have seen some white ones but I don;t think they are originals from back in the 1960s as these 2 are.

Whatever the case.....just memories now

[email protected]

[​IMG]

7. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

This decal was used for the club that Hurst had back in the day mid to late 1960s time frame. They also had a credit card style membership card and a thicker style decal. I will post them eventually when I can find them.

This paper thick style is hard to find not used.

Hurst in its day ran a lot of different promotions....and PR was a key function with the company.

A good bit of their customer base were guys my age....and with Vietnam being the conflict (war) at the time most of us were not able to spend the money on things car related.....

enjoy

[email protected]

[​IMG]

8. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

BTT What Up Denis! Slim

9. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

I am confused by your question....

If it concerns lack of photos more are coming. I got plenty of stuff just got to filter to Mr AMC Guy to post....

I am working on creating another thread probably Monday.....see if it strikes some interest.

[email protected]

10. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

Here are two more Hurst original decals. Again early sixties vintage. Note the one concerning the dual gate this I would say is quite rare as I have never seen anyone run a photo of it.

I know we covered this earlier the first style automatic dual gates had a actual key to lock out that feature. This decal seems to be related to that early style dual gate. If that is he case that puts it around 1961-63 time frame.

enjoy

more to come just got to keep taking photos and forwarding them to MR AMC to post.

[​IMG]

11. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

Here you see pictured an actual Hurst Lingenfelter emblem and decal from the short lived Hurst Trans Am project Lingenfelter did a few years back.
    From what I understand for whatever reason only a handful of the cars actually got built.

Now you see that Hurst in conjunction with Dodge is doing a Challenger/Hurst. Not sure what number they are seeking to produce. I believe they also made one Viper Hurst as well.

The Hurst connection still brings the magic even 40 plus years later.

Enjoy

[email protected]

[​IMG]

12. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

You are viewing two very rare original Hurst decals. One they would attach to new shifters...so that style would be thrown away by consumers, other highlights the Jaws of Life.....what capacity that was used or given I have no idea.

enjoy

[email protected]

[​IMG]

13. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

You are viewing an actual original Hurst shirt. Belonged to my good friend Bob Held who was the long time art director for Hurst and did all the ads decals etc even picked the bricks they used for the Warminster building. Shirt is in very good condition as you can tell. Notice the early style Hurst logo design.

Highly unlikely, shirts like this being original come up for sale 40 plus years later.

enjoy

[email protected]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

You are viewing two different pen protector holders. One has 3 different style Hurst pens visible 2 of one and 3 of another version plus 1 single version.

These were probably giveaways back in the day or used in their offices in Warminster. I have no idea except for the fact you never really see them for sale. Not a high valued Hurst item, but would qualify as a rare Hurst item.

enjoy

[email protected]

[​IMG]

15. HA;) when you said the clock was ticking ..
    I had to go look .. my original HURST clock is not even plugged in ...i'll try and get apic for ya ..

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  16. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

This is an original probably mid 1960s T shirt from Hurst. Highlights what has become for Hurst its most popular advertising on wheels The Hemi Under Glass"

I don't follow reproductions much but this shirt like some of the other Hurst t-shirts can be seen in reproduction. This is an original.

[email protected]

[​IMG]

17. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

Pictured here is the real deal a mid 1960s vintage Hurst spring jacket. I can recall over the years seeing phoney ones pop up on ebay. Usually they take a Hurst patch which is readily available and simply stitch it on a vintage jacket and claim it as the real deal.

These jackets to my knowledge only where available in this color scheme.

[email protected]

[​IMG]

18. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

19. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

this is a later Hurst item by later maybe early 1970s to mid 1970s. Again going by memory.

Quality is not as good as many other Hurst items as the logo would sometimes fall out. This was made overseas for Hurst from what I recall.

May have come on certain year Hurst Olds and was sold separately as an accessory item. Not sure how popular it would be to affix to your front header panel.

[email protected]

[​IMG]

20. theamcguy

theamcguy

Kirban 2 cents worth
    What you are viewing here...is a cut down portion from an original Hurst-Campbell wooden crate. Since it reads Hurst-Campbell the time period would be 1969 or older. I have one of the complete crates and had one of our employees who is handy with wood cut it out in the shape of a T handle and make it so I can hang it on my office wall.
    Since I had 2 other crates I have 3 of these if any Hurst collectors are interested. Unique item.
    [email protected]

[​IMG]

21. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth
    Pictured here are two typical items that normally would be thrown away and you never see for sale today. Both Hurst related. I have no idea what the wooden nickel looking thing was used for. Matches may have been something just made for Hurst or may just be part of a promotional thing a company did for Hurst. Either way time period wold be late 1960s.
    As to their value today? From a rariety standpoint quite rare as to being valuable not high on the scale.

[email protected]

[​IMG]

22. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

I realize there has bee a slight lull in my posting....not due to lack of items but due to lack of time to take photos at home and have secretary download to send to MR AMC Guy...however we got some neat stuff due up shortly...

This project I have in the works with Linda Vaughn (Miss Hurst) is within about 30 days of hitting the market and will be made available to all the major speed shops mail order companies etc....very fortunate to pull this deal off.

[email protected]

23. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth
    In this group of Hurst business cards you can see how they changed over the years. The gold colored ones are probably early ones as they were more costly to produce. Notice the Hustler club membership card. This is just like a credit card in appearance. These all belonged to my good friend who was the art director for many many years.
    More to come.
    [email protected]

[​IMG]

24. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth
    More Hurst goodies Visitors pass. Note the car key still attached to the Pace Car Hurst Olds key fob. This is an original Pace car key that was never turned back in! The one name tag reads Jack Duffy. Back in 1969 this was my wifes boss. He can be seen in some of the PR photos that others have posted usually with Linda Vaughn. Unfortunately he passed away maybe 1-2 years back now.

[​IMG]

25. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

THANKS DENNIS, Look forward to the new project you are doing with Linda Vaughn (Miss Hurst).

26. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth
    Pictured here are various key chains Hurst used over the years. Interesting enough black and gold were the Hurst popular colors....just like the Saints.....
    enjoy

[email protected]

It is these types of small trinkets, that in most cases would be thrown away and because of this would be extremely rare to find today. Had Hurst not been in my neighborhood its very unlikely, I would have accumulated such a rare collection.

[email protected]

[​IMG]

27. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth
    I apologize for the recent delays in more Hurst photos. Several reasons for this one is related to the massive snow storms that have beset this part of the country and my father who resides about 2 hours away had a stroke so I have been driving out to the rehab center once a week where he is recovering. Fortunately his speech is good and he can move all his limbs. The stroke has mainly affected his short term memory.
    The photo here is a glass candy dish that I don't believe was ever offered for sale in any of the Hurst catalogs. May have been an in house thing for the executives. You seldom ever see these for sale. Since it featured the Hurst wheel that put the time frame prior to 1969. Its about 5 inches tall by 7 inches long. It talks about Hurst custom wheels of tomorrow. Wheels and transportation. Unfortunately, as much as Hurst was banking on the success of the Hurst wheels they never achieved the status the 4-speed shifters did.
    I can't recall ever seeing one of these for sale nor can I remember what I paid for it years ago.
    Mr AMC Guy will be getting a bunch of original art work to post later this week. We have some very neat stuff related to Hurst some of which I don;t believe was ever used and some that is incomplete.
    We are about 2-3 weeks out now from having the Linda Vaughn (Miss Hurst) project off and available to all the major mail order companies. I have seen the finished product and it looks great!

[​IMG]

28. Hey Kirban..you said that Jack Duffy was your wifes boss in 69...Was her name Florence?????? Florence was my go to lady at Hurst in the early days...Jim Vaughn and John Scafidi were usually out on the road.....

29. Super442s

Super442s

Dennis, Thank you so much for sharing all this great stuff that otherwise most of us would never get the chance to enjoy seeing! As an Oldsmobile guy, I have always felt a certain 'connection' with Hurst so I really appreciate your pictures and postings! And I'm not just saying that because I am a vendor for your companies Olds parts ;)

30. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

No my wife's name is Eileen......I probably mentioned it earlier Jack Duffy passed away maybe one year ago....

My wife handled mostly booking flights for Hurst employees to attend functions race events etc....

My main source for a lot of the unique items that we post here come from the art director who was with Hurst for 20 plus years Bob Held.

I was fortunate enough years ago to coax Bill Campbell to come to one of my GTO/Buick events. He was never one much for the lime light.

I do bump into some of the old employees in my travels since I still reside in the same area.

All memories now.

[email protected]