Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

jan 2000....it is the Alderman car

2. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

There's an even better "floor jack" shot. With the water on the ground, there's no way that car could pull the wheels. When the article came out we gave Larry a bunch of s... about the "wheelstand" shots. LOL

I remember the first 20 year T-Bolt Reunion at the PFCA Meet in Columbus. We ran a nostalgia race at Trails with original T-Bolts, all in the 11's. Things were a lot simpler then.

Regards,
    Dennis

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  3. dlshady

dlshady

This car?

Attached Files:

4. Race Artist

Race Artist

The orange Bonner hardtop T-Bolt originally had larger rear fender openings than a "stock" T-Bolt's. The shape was the same but they were more open similat to the one or more that they built for the oval track NASCAR racing in '64. I don't have a picture of the oval track cars but at least one WAS built and run. I recall a small shot in one of the old oval track magazines from back in the early seventies if memory serves, The current orange Warbucks HT has stock rear fender openings.
    Joel

Attached Files:

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Deron;Gray Baskerville was the author and rider in that article on the T-Bolt on Power Tour.January 2000,Hot Rod,page106-108.The story states it was car#12. ROY.

6. dlshady

dlshady

Gray Baskerville.... What a guy! ;) Thanks to both you and 64Cyclone for the magazine dates. I'll see if I can't dig it out sometime in the next few days and scan it.

Deron

7. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

That car is not a Thunderbolt. Thunderbolts were build by DST....and never a hardtop. Holman Moody built several race 427 Fairlanes for circle track, road courses and the orange Bonner car I guess......though I have never seen any old pictures of the orange Bonner HT.

[​IMG]

8. [​IMG]
    Here is a shot of the Bonner's '64 HT Fairlane from '64. Sorry for the poor quality. Larry Reyes drove it most of the time as part of the "Bonner Ford Team". True it is wasn't one of the one hundred sedans or built by DST but it was a 427 1964 Fairlane built for drag racing. Thunderbolt ??? Thats up to interpretation.....

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  9. 65COMET

65COMET

Jody;what became of Bonner's hardtop? I don't remember ever seeing it.Too bad they took the side trim off,they look better with it,JMO,ROY

10. Don Snyder has it. The photo in #1269 is it at Don's place.

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Jody....did the Bonner Falcon survive?

12. Neither the '64 or '65 cars have been found. Parts of the '65 car are rumored to have recently been found. Phil turned the '65 into Ford when he got his longnose Mustang. It appears the '64 became a street racer and disappeared in the '70s.

Jim Cagle who bought the '64 from Phil in '65 has built an exact replica of the '64 with Phil's blessing. Jim has attempted to track the actual car and so far come up empty.

Here is a shot of the new recreated '64.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      92.7 KB
      Views:
  13. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

I understand there were 8 Thunderbolts that originally went to California Ford dealers and/or racing enterprises. There has been discussion of most on this thread. However I cannot find any mention of the Thunderbolts that went to Galpin Ford in San Fernando or Jackson Goldie Ford in Oakland. Anyone know details or have pictures of either car?

14. Race Artist

Race Artist

As Jody verified with his post, the Bonner Warbucks hardtop was real. That shot shows the enlarged rear fender opening also.
    The B&W photo below is a road race car, not the NASCAR car nor the magazine photo that I mentioned.

I'd certainly consider the Bonner/Warbucks hardtop a T-Bolt. It was built with Ford's approval.
    Joel

15. Race Artist

Race Artist

The '64 Bonner Falcon, the "Georgia Peach" was run after Jim Cagle by Joe Johnson from Georgia. The car was essentially the same as when Bonner and Cagle ran the car.
    Joel

16. spiertb

spiertb

Who was the original dealer/owner of the H & E T-Bolt? Anyone have pics of Honnell's War Eagle or Milo Coleman's Walker Ford in their original lettering? On E-Bay a few years ago the Gurhan Ford T-Bolt #88 of Virginia Beach was for sale. Which one was it really?? I've seen pics of Ed Horsley in a T-Bolt--any info about that one. Thanks. Syl

17. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

If there are any they would be very rare.

18. dsbenedic

dsbenedic

Number 565 was Stan Haggards. It was originally white and was the Rockenfield Ford from Ohio

19. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Yep most likely #9....I looked at the article again and this is a stick shift.

20. Back in the day there were 2 Thunderbolts that ran in the Vancouver British Columbia area and ran at the old mission raceway. an orange one sponsored by Fogg motors and a 2 tone dark green by Musgrove motors The Fogg motors car got an altered wheelbase by 1966 I was 15 at the time so I hope my memory is ok about this

21. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Nicholson vs Donilson

[​IMG]

22. Bridenthal

Bridenthal
    from Florida

racecars[1] (2).jpg

427.jpg

Hauler-Falcon2[1] (2).jpg
    Hello, first time posting here. Pic of the "Goat Herder" in action.
    Wheeler Dealer II Falcon (Jack Bridenthal, Fred Hertzog & Miss Hurst) and Galaxies.

Jay Bridenthal

23. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Jay,
    Where in Greensburg was Bridenthal Ford located? I work on Massillion Road a mile or so south of the square by the airport. The picture of the hauler and the Falcon is hanging in Greensburg Auto Parts. My Dad looked at a small block Cobra there back in the day. Awesome pics, by the way. I just can't get enough history.
    Thanks, KRH

24. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Walt Derringer was the racer who bought the Thunderbolt new from Joe Brown Ford in Louisville KY. Ed Horsley was a salesman at Joe Brown Ford. The dealership soon changed to Ken O'Keefe Ford. Derringer got a sponsorship from Ken O'Keefe Ford and the Thunderbolt was repainted. Late that year Derringer traded the Thunderbolt for a '64 lightweight hi-riser Galaxie owned by the Hawes brothers. Bluegrass Lincoln-Mercury where Derringer worked as a mechanic sponsored his Galaxie. Derringer raced the Galaxie successfully for several years. I am not sure how long the Hawes brothers kept the Thunderbolt but I do not believe it was very long.

Walt Derringer's Thunderbolt sold by Joe Brown Ford Louisville KY
    [​IMG]

Pictured at US60 Dragway in Hardinsburg KY
    [​IMG]

New sponsorship and new paint job, again at US60.
    [​IMG]

Hawes Bros hi-riser Galaxie that Derringer traded for
    [​IMG]

Bluegrass Lincoln-Mercury sponsored Derringer's Galaxie for several years.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    T PERDUE likes this.
  25. Bridenthal

Bridenthal
    from Florida

Trouble/KRH
    Sorry, no info on the Falcon. Pop "Jack" passed away a couple years ago.
    The Bridenthal store was on Greensburg Rd about 500' from Massillon.
    (opposite direction of airport)
    It was a convenience store at one time and now maybe an insurance office.
    The white service building was still half there last time I was up. See my album for
    a few more pics. Looking for more.
    http://www.saac-mcr.com/mag/2005/200504.pdf cobra story

26. dlshady

dlshady

Welcome to the party Jay and thanks for taking the time to share your photos! Its always great to see some new stuff! Looks like the top of the front fender on the Goat Herder is a Charles Chips logo. I've noticed a blob of paint there in other early photos but never could tell what it was.

Deron

27. Falconred

Falconred

Could have been but I remember it had Cigar Holt on the drivers' door. By the way several years later I ran across an old lemans or GTO type race car while wondering around a junk yard in AL with the name Cigar Holt on the door. There was another old racer there too I think it may have been a tempest. Back then they were just old race cars and I didn't think about history.

28. I want to thank everyone who has been part of this thread. I never dreamed back in October of 2006 that it would go this long and produce so much good information. I really think this has become the best place for Thunderbolt information on the internet. If you know someone who is into these cars let them know about this thread. Maybe they will have something to share that hasn't been mentioned yet. Please keep the information coming and thanks again!!!

29. dlshady

dlshady

Ditto on what Jody said! By far the best resource out there, hands down. Thanks are also due to Jody for taking the time to start the thread!

Deron